What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo tdci -cambelt/chain when to change? - Gotanoldhondar

Hi

I have a 1.8tdci 09 plate mondeo on 109k miles.Ford say belt is good until 125k miles others say it is risky and should change now,also does the chain need changing or is this good for life of car?

Mixed messages on Ford forums ,even Ford themselves seem confused.

Thanks in advance.

Mondeo tdci -cambelt/chain when to change? - elekie&a/c doctor

Probably a good idea to change it soon.The belt only drives the camshaft on these.I would leave the chain alone.Should be good for the life of the engine.

I agree, however part of me thinks if Ford say it is good for 125k then leaving it another 10k should be no problem right?.

Mondeo tdci -cambelt/chain when to change? - RobJP

If the belt fails, then the damage will probably be sufficient to make the car value £0 or close to it.

Can you afford to roll the dice ? If you can, then leave it another 10k. If not, then get the job done

Mondeo tdci -cambelt/chain when to change? - S40 Man

I have 08 2.0 tdci Mondeo and I had belt changed at 140k rather than 125k. I got 15k free life. I think i paid about £200 tovget it changed. like other posters have said I it snaps the car is worthless.

S40 Man, i assume you were aware of the risk you were taking, leaving it to go to 140k miles,if not you did well,if so why?

Mondeo tdci -cambelt/chain when to change? - S40 Man

I thought it was a chain rather than a belt. As soon as I realized I got it done.

There has to be a bit of tolerance built in hasn't there. It's not like they will all be OK at 125k and all instantly fail at 126k. I was probably lucky but excessivly so.

Yes looks like you were lucky there.I think i will leave mine for another couple of thousand then have it changed.I have read about them snapping before 100k,don't want to push my luck.