What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Saloon 2008 1.4 Titanium - MOT ADVISORY 001 UNDER-TRAYS - colt48

Our 2008 Ford Fiesta has passed its MOT with advisory 001" under-trays fitted obscuring components." The tester tells me that they do not take these trays off when inspecting components. So how can a thorough MOT be carried out on such cars??

Ford Fiesta Saloon 2008 1.4 Titanium - MOT ADVISORY 001 UNDER-TRAYS - skidpan

Our 2008 Ford Fiesta has passed its MOT with advisory 001" under-trays fitted obscuring components." The tester tells me that they do not take these trays off when inspecting components. So how can a thorough MOT be carried out on such cars??

Our Kia dealer did exactly the same last year with our Ceed. Not happy it had an advisory that is total b0l0cks.

But Kia dealer would not change it and I guess we will get the same this year.

Ford Fiesta Saloon 2008 1.4 Titanium - MOT ADVISORY 001 UNDER-TRAYS - elekie&a/c doctor

Unfortunately this is one of many anomalies of the mot test.Nothing is allowed to be removed for more in-depth inspection.Plastic sill finishers/covers can hide a myriad of rot and corrosion and will still be a pass and/or advise.Equally if you only had 1 wheel nut securing a wheel to hub hidden by the wheel cover the tester would be none the wiser.The current mot test is a very vague inspection.

Ford Fiesta Saloon 2008 1.4 Titanium - MOT ADVISORY 001 UNDER-TRAYS - gordonbennet

quote from the recent MOT test on our Subaru

''Under side of car covered in thick underseal making inspection hard''

Can't blame them really, every inhabitant of the country has developed a cover their backside mentality, we all do similar in all our different jobs i expect.

Ford Fiesta Saloon 2008 1.4 Titanium - MOT ADVISORY 001 UNDER-TRAYS - Galaxy

I presume that one can remove the undertrays, submit the car for an MOT test, then replace the undertrays after the car has been tested.

A possible solution?

Edited by Galaxy on 10/02/2015 at 21:08

Ford Fiesta Saloon 2008 1.4 Titanium - MOT ADVISORY 001 UNDER-TRAYS - edlithgow

quote from the recent MOT test on our Subaru

''Under side of car covered in thick underseal making inspection hard''

Isn't that what thick underseal is for?

Ford Fiesta Saloon 2008 1.4 Titanium - MOT ADVISORY 001 UNDER-TRAYS - Railroad.
The MOT test must be conducted in accordance with VOSA guidelines. Nothing is permitted to be removed or dismantled during the test. If for example the brake pipes are concealed by an undertray and cannot be seen then the tester cannot test them. He will tick the box on the computer when entering the test results to indicate that an undertray is fitted.
If a child seat is fitted the tester cannot test the seat belt. He will tick the box to indicate that the seat belt cannot be tested because of a child seat fitted. He is not permitted to remove the child seat so that the seat belt can be tested. The customer should present the vehicle for test with the child seat removed if he wants the seat belt to be tested.

VOSA detail items to be tested, methods of testing and reasons for rejection. The vehicle must meet the minimum standards required to pass.
If a brake lamp doesn't work then it's below the minimum standard and will be rejected.
If a tyre has 1.6mm of tread for 75% of the tread area then it is NOT below the minimum standard and therefore the correct decision is to pass and advise.
Ford Fiesta Saloon 2008 1.4 Titanium - MOT ADVISORY 001 UNDER-TRAYS - gordonbennet
Isn't that what thick underseal is for?

Actually it isn't that thick, the subframes/suspension/exposed underbody have had rust converter solution (where rust was showing), followed by epoxy paint, followed by spraying inside and out with appropraite Bilt Hamber's underbody coatings, from the note on the MOT you'd think i'd trowelled the stuff on so thick it formed an impenetrable undertray.