What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Mileage expectancy ? - dimdip

Wonder if anyone can advise what mileage a Zetec 1.25 engined 1999 Fiesta is likely to achieve, please?

A friend is looking at buying one that has 137,000 on the clock and is in otherwise good nick. Thanks

Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Mileage expectancy ? - Avant

This depends so much on how well the car has been looked after, how considerately it's been driven, and whether it's been regularly serviced.

For a 15-year-old car that's about average mileage - not too high, not too low - so it could be a good one. As long as your friend doesn't pay more than about £500 for it, and has enough cash for routine repairs, it could be a good buy. Look on the current 'how old is yours' thread for some examples.

Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Mileage expectancy ? - mss1tw

Also worth checking for hidden rust at this age.

Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Mileage expectancy ? - alastairq

I have a '99 1.25 [zetec] Fiesta....it has 125,000 on the clock.

The engine sounds fine, it had a belt change around 90-odd k....and was owned by a Ford fitter.

The engine [zetec] isn't re-buildable by design, but as long as it gets a regular oil change, and the oil light continues to go out when it should, there should be no issues for another 125k miles.

The problems lie with all the other parts!

I have found, and coped with....an endless leak of coolant from the plastic thermostat housing/heater take-off unit...it is at the 'front' of the engine, low down, and one needs spidery fingers to access it without pulling out things like the alternator. It seals with a rubber ring on the thermostat, and an O ring on the other outlet..but many also spread silicon sealer as well...which modern antifreeze [OAT] eats for lunch! Since my car also has aircon, with the pump below the alternator, access for me means taking the side off the car..[an alternator bolt is seized]...so, I live with it, checking the coolant level a couple of times a week, and topping up as required.

The heater valve can fail too, meaning the heater will not turn off......maybe not an issue in winter, but easliy replaced.

The heater plenum[?] drain also comes out just to the left of one's clutch foot,.going thought the floor...this can be dislodged, leading to wet carpets.

Check the rear suspension.

Springs can snap, and trailing arm bushes will need replacing. Find a friendly fitter for these, and buy some cheap silicon bushes..they go in easier than the original metal/rubber jobbies, and last forever.

Suspension is easy to replace anyway.

Go under neath right side front, below radiator, and find the pressure sensor for the power steering. This can break, or dissolve, causing the engine to rev erratically at tickover. Take wires apart, remake the connections, and seal up with plaggy bags and silicon to make them waterproof.

If it has aircon, make sure it works.

If it doesn't, then forget about it altogether. You don't 'need' it...if too hot, open a window.

You may have a heated windscreen a well...very useful when frosty....if the windscreen is chipped, replace it using your insurance....otherwise the price will make you weep.

Boot lids rot along the bottom...not the end of the world...but if you find a good one, look after it.

Take out the bootlight bulb, in case it sticks 'on', leading to a flat battery, or a bat flattery?

What'll it do?

Well, I comply with speed limits...with thoughtful driving styles I get around 40+ mpg's.

If I drive like a 30 year old, this drops to around 30-35 mpg's....check the oil level [and coolant] every week minimum....

The 16 valve engine thrives on revs...but , for longevity, treat it with respect.

Thanks very much for the replies. That info deserves to go in the car-by-car-breakdown, alastairq -- much appreciated.

Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Mileage expectancy ? - alastairq

Oh, just the issues I dealt with over 2 years.....not my 'favourite' car.....it tends to steam up horrendously...seems to have poor cabin air extraction?

But it handles very well, has decent acceleration for passing, good headlights, and bits for it are very easy [and cheap?] to get hold of.

But I would have preferred a Skoda Felicia [estate] as these I found were a lot more economical on fuel.[1.3]..[which is what the Fester replaced, after a nce insurance write-off claim [sadly, the car only sustained trivial damage, but was old, so was 'uneconomical' to repair].....and what I was offered was far far more than what I paid for it.....thank you, little old lady who drove full tilt into the parked car!]

Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Mileage expectancy ? - Snakey

I put good 80,000 miles on a 1998 Fiesta with that engine, and as said in detail above, most of my problems related to anything other than the engine! Actually I thought the 1.25 was a bit of a peach in that era of Fiesta!

Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Mileage expectancy ? - TedCrilly

Unlikely the gearbox and wheel bearings will last another 125k without some sort of protest but MK5s rust like mad and this is going to be the biggest issue. Crusty wheelarches and door bottoms you can live with but not sills.

TVM for the info, folks

Ford Fiesta 1.25 - Mileage expectancy ? - meldrew

Oh, just the issues I dealt with over 2 years.....not my 'favourite' car.....it tends to steam up horrendously...seems to have poor cabin air extraction?

Check if it is damp under the floor mats. Another prennial problem. Mine, bought 2/H went back five times for them to fix the leak at a main dealer!!