What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord 1.8 SE Saloon 2000 72,000m - Power steering reservoir overflows - victor2

Just fitted new alternator - all went ok. Noticed top of power steering reservoir had some oil on it - not much, but didn't pay too much attention to that as level was ok, so put all the belts on, started up and power steering pump noisy and reservoir overflowing and frothy (air in system). Switched off after a minute or two. Thought I may have the power steering belt on too tight so slackened off, but problem persisted. Read that o-ring between reservoir and pump should be updated and replaced with orange one and can fix problem. Otherwise recon pump? - anyone had same issue and know a good place near SW London? Any tips on flushing too?

Honda Accord 1.8 SE Saloon 2000 72,000m - Power steering reservoir overflows - Peter.N.

Sounds as though it drawing air in somewhere, that would also make the pump noisy. Check all the lines and connections for leaks, especially the return pipe to the pump, failing that it could be the pump.

Honda Accord 1.8 SE Saloon 2000 72,000m - Power steering reservoir overflows - Oli rag

Is it possible that the power steering pump drive belt has been put on wrong, and the pulley is being driven in the wrong direction?

Honda Accord 1.8 SE Saloon 2000 72,000m - Power steering reservoir overflows - dadbif
Have you tried bleeding the air out? It's simple enough to do..
Honda Accord 1.8 SE Saloon 2000 72,000m - Power steering reservoir overflows - Quicksilver

It does sound like the belt might be on the wrong way. The drive belt installation on some cars can be very complicated and need careful attention when installed.

Q.

Honda Accord 1.8 SE Saloon 2000 72,000m - Power steering reservoir overflows - elekie&a/c doctor

This looks interesting.I have the same car with the same problem.The pas issue started about 18 months ago for no particular reason.I have replaced the pump and the fluid reservoir with its flexi pipes with no difference.(s/hand parts) ,but I can't see that the replacement bits would have exactly the same fault. I have also replaced the belt,which cannot be fitted wrong,as it only drives the pas pump from the crank pulley. I feel the system must be drawing in air somehow,but where?There are 2 flexi pipes that run to the pas oil cooler under the left headlight.I may take a look at these,but I think the bumper may need to be removed for access.

Honda Accord 1.8 SE Saloon 2000 72,000m - Power steering reservoir overflows - victor2

Sorry about the time delay - I had another go today. The belt can't be on the wrong way as I left it on the crank pulley and simply pulled it back over the power steering pump pulley, so it never changed position.

When you say it's simple enough to bleed do you nean by turning the wheel from lock to lock?. I jacked the wheels up and turned the steering wheel to left and right lock repeatedly for a few minutes then turned the engine off about 15-20 times. A little improvement, but then it overflowed again. I topped up the fluid to a higher level with Honda fluid and some large bubbles came out and then it seemed to be fixed! Came back a few hours later and it was making a noise again. I've driven it around the block a few times but definitely not happy with it yet. I think when I moved the pumped a little to gain access to the alternator (without disconnecting any pipes) I lifted it up to a slightly higher level - would that have made a difference? Also have a look at this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-_qp1y4yc it's about changing the o ring on the reservoir side of the pump, It's from a 3.2 litre American Honda and on the other side of the engine, but the connectors look the same on the pump, so it might be the same or very similar to mine. I did order the ring from Honda today, but they ordered the wrong o ring, so will have to re order to try that route.

Well, the problem seemed to have ironed itself out. There must have been an airlock somewhere. Very strange because no leaks. I'll be keeping a close eye on it over the next few weeks, but all I can advise is when moving the power steering pump out of the way to gain access, try to move it as little as possible. Also if your reservoir does overflow with air bubbles, try overfilling it to help with the bleeding. If that fails, consider chaging the o ring between reservoir and pump.