What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Repair 01 Honda Civic or new family car???? - Family in Need of a Car - sunflowerz2881

We are a family of three who has a 01 Honda Civic Exective. It has 89,000 miles (very low for its age). We have replaced the cam belt last year and now the power steering has failed and we were told by a garage and the main dealer that it will be £475 to fix (I checked for used parts on ebay but nothing for our make/model). The car will also need a clutch soon which will be an additional cost.

2 Questions:

1) should we sell the car now or pay to fix these items with the hopes the car will run another 4-5 years. "We buy any car" said it would give us £600 in the online valuation.

2) what are good new/used car recommendations (prefer an automatic, petrol, family hatch or saloon) that is stylish, reliable, with reasonable repair and running costs. Hoping to keep the car for 4-5 years. Could we get a German car in this price point? We are tall so need a car with good leg room. Would want to spend between £4,000-7,000?

Thanks very much or any ideas/suggestions/advice

Repair 01 Honda Civic or new family car???? - Family in Need of a Car - bazza

If the car is otherwise in good condition, with service history, regular maintenance and no corrosion underneath, i would keep. 89000 is not a high mileage if so. If it's been neglected and servicing skimped it's a different story.

All cars need a clutch at some point, Power steering failure is just a bit of bad luck---£475 not too bad to fix IMO.

Civic is one of the absolute most durable, well engineered cars on the road. Switching to a German car ( why German if I may ask?) will not necessarily buy you more reliability-- indeed, from the data, far from it.

If you must change, another Japanese model might be a better option, petrol Accord or nice comfy Avensis.

But I'd stick with the Civic.

Repair 01 Honda Civic or new family car???? - Family in Need of a Car - sunflowerz2881

Thanks for the response.

Repair 01 Honda Civic or new family car???? - Family in Need of a Car - Gibbo_Wirral

Have you not searched for "honda civic breaking" on Ebay and just considered a second hand part?

Repair 01 Honda Civic or new family car???? - Family in Need of a Car - brighteyes
I agree with the above, as long as, other than power steering and clutch, it's sound. I feel it's a case of better the devil you know etc. on the whole the Civics of the same vintage as yours were well screwed together. The cost of replacing your car with something decent will far outweigh the cost of repairing it.