What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - redcard

Hello,

Looking for opinions on this - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311280213045/sort/pricedesc/radius/50/postcode/g671af/page/1/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-mileage/up_to_70000_miles/make/mercedes-benz/price-to/4000/maximum-age/up_to_8_years_old/model/a_class/usedcars?logcode=p

There's a few on Autotrader around the same age and price,and was just wondering if they could be recommened as a first car, particualrly as they're similarly priced to 107s and other super minis.

Pros and cons?

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - skidpan

Its nearly 9 years old. Any repairs will cost Mercedes prices to sort. They were never popular when new and not especially well made or reliable.

For that money you could get a much newer Focus which is a better car. Look outside the normal cars and you will get a Kia Ceed for not much more.

Just remember that an expensive car is cheap for normally one reason, they cannot sell it.

Bubble burst!

I was getting carried away with myself a bit - really like the look of it.

Thanks
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - daveyjp
Having run a 2010 B class 1.5 for 3.5 years and 40,000 miles I would have a look. Despite opinion of others it has been very reliable and is very well built.

Running costs are not eyewatering, my next main dealer service is only tens of pounds more than my local garage, tyres are common size so £60 a corner, brakes no more than we have paid on Fords and Toyotas at local garage.

At 8 years old this car is ready for a major service including spark plugs and brake fluid so ensure all the work has been done.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - skidpan

One small point, the seller is either a liar or thick.

The advert says "3 months tax" but now tax is not sold with a vehicle. The new owner has to tax it after buying and before driving. Any tax on the vehicle when it changes hands is automatically refunded to the seller.

So if you belived him and drove off you would be breaking the law.

What else is he forgetting to tell you about the car.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - grimep

I don't know where to start with the A Class, but the fact that the engine needs to come out for a clutch change or starter motor ought to give you an idea of the potential cost of owning an aging higher mileage example.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - the_bandit

For safety reasons alone I would recommend as a first car but only buy when aware of all the facts! Had a MK2 and now facelift version over last 7 years now.

PROS:

1. Standard safety features such as traction control, ESP, all round disc brakes make this small car stand out from the competition. Also sits higher up than most cars too so improved visibility ahead and safer too if you are broad-sided. In frontal collision the engine is pushed under the floor rather than in towards the cabin so helping to maintain structural integrity. Boot big enough to take a twin pram.

2. Lots of room inside. Clever design and use of space make this a small car on the outside with the room of a VW Golf inside. Easy to park too.

3. Quite smooth ride.

4. Design and build quality much improved from original MK1 design. MK1 was an MB badge on a car designed and manufacutured by somebody else. MK2 designed and built by MB with some buttons and design like my last E-Class.

CONS:

1. RUST! Check door, boot and bonnet weld seams which will rust from behind and separate from panel. Warranty job only if with full MB service. We had 4 doors and boot with complete re-spray!

2. This one is manual. Nobody buys a manual MB. Unless you really want a manual I would avoid as it affects value significantly.

OTHER:

1. Main dealer service and repair costs are higher than the likes of a 107 etc... so don't kid yourself otherwise. We use an MB service plan which works represents a good discount against on the day prices. Annual warranty from MB is £375 for everything including wear and tear. Only had to use this once for a broken NSF spring and service was excellent.

2. Try to buy from franchised dealer. Yes it costs more like for like but you have much better comeback and people who have knowledge and tools to work on these cars.

Good luck!

Edited by the_bandit on 23/10/2014 at 04:12

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - madf

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mercedes-benz/a-clas...d

says it all..

I'd run away.from an OLD one.

2. This one is manual. Nobody buys a manual MB. Unless you really want a manual I would avoid as it affects value significantly.

OTHER:

1. Main dealer service and repair costs are higher than the likes of a 107 etc... so don't kid yourself otherwise. We use an MB service plan which works represents a good discount against on the day prices. Annual warranty from MB is £375 for everything including wear and tear. Only had to use this once for a broken NSF spring and service was excellent.

the_bandit, thanks for the comprehensive response!

What's wrong with the manual?

How comprehensive is the MB warranty? I see it on the MB site for £360.00 annually. If i got this would i not need to worry about ANY mechanical failures etc?

Nothing wrong with the manual. The majority of the A and B have manual boxes, the auto was a frail CVT auto unit, not a proper MB auto, so is something best avoided.

It is however true that manual C class and larger MBs are like hens teeth and prices reflect this as no one wants them.

Warranty will require the car to have been serviced correctly. Check the small print over what this means and ensure you have the proof.

A Mercedes dealer will be able to tell you how often the car has been serviced with them.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - daveyK_UK

The mark 1 A class enjoyed eating steering racks. Avoid

There are 101 reasons for not buying a Mk1, but the ad is a Mk2.
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Goodused car option? - the_bandit

Nothing wrong with a manual it's just more desirable on an MB to have one.

I use the car from time to time and I find the autobox superb and so far completely reliable.

The MB Warranty, Tier1, covers all mechanical and electrical parts including wear and tear. Just watch out if part has failed due to corrosion because it won't be covered. If you are not buying approved car from an MB dealer you should expect car to require examination first before being approved for cover. Just checked and I paid £381.60 for 12months cover (Tier 1, no excess) once manufacturers 3yr had expired.

Edited by the_bandit on 23/10/2014 at 21:47