What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord - Service at Garage - chanlfc

Please Advise, I took my car to a garage (wont mention name for now) but I did a full service and MOT. Got my car returned with a failed MOT. Reasons, headlight adjustment, droplink broken and emmisions too high. Got quoted £185 for fixing all this, which included add soemthign called 44k engine cleaner. So decided to have a 2nd opnion.

Took it to another garage and showed me that the engine was covered with new oil and still dripping from the bottom. Also said that the droplink looks to be tampered and broken off rather than wear and tear and headlight bulb was put in upside down and reason for adjustement.

Of course not happy with all of this especially after paying £200 for full serice my engine is covered with oil. Other problems of course I can not prove.

I now wish to report them. What would be the best course of action? office of fair trading? and can I demand for my full service cost back and money for steam cleaning my engine as its greased everywhere with the oil?

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by chanlfc on 11/10/2014 at 23:09

Honda Accord - Service at Garage - madf

My comments:

Very difficult to break a droplink without great force. And to prove it has been done? very difficult.

Headlight bulb upside down? not possible.

Engine covered in oil? Easy to do..

Personally I suspect teh second garage is lying.

And as far as reporting is concerned, you may be in the middle of a garage war .. and without written evidence it's all hearsay.. (I assume the second garage did not give you a written report)

Honda Accord - Service at Garage - quizman

Did you have your car serviced at a proper garage, or did you have it done at a tyre firm?

I ask, as I've noticed that ATS/Quikfit are doing more servicing these days. While waiting for tyres recently I noticed tyre fitters servicing cars. I wouldn't let them service my car!

Honda Accord - Service at Garage - Bolt

Agree with most of whats said but a headlamp bulb not being seated correctly will fail an mot as its out of focus and missaligned

Honda Accord - Service at Garage - Cyd

You don't say what the second opinion was wrt the emissions?

Honda Accord - Service at Garage - bathtub tom

I believe you should've asked for an MOT appeal BEFORE taking it from the first garage.

Honda Accord - Service at Garage - quizman

I wish the OP would answer our questions. We try to help but...............................