MINI Cooper S - Oil consumption - rpt

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper 'S' which goes about 1000 to 1200 miles before the engine needs a one litre top of oil. I have heard this engine can use one litre of oil every 1200 miles is this correct?

MINI Cooper S - Oil consumption - Andrew-T

Try searching this forum for a full discussion of this topic.

MINI Cooper S - Oil consumption - The-Mechanic

As Mr T says, there is a large discussion on this here on the forum. The oil consumption on these Coopers are high, and if run low for too long, suffer from timing chain rattles and / or chain failiures.

Personally, I wouldn't touch one of these PSA engined Minis due to their well documented history of failiures and would advise others steer clear too, but as you are a current owner the best you can do is keep a keen eye on the level, top up using a good quality oil and also make sure the servicing is carried out on schedule using quality oils and filters.

It won't stop it being a heavy drinker, but should at least make it last a while longer !

It won't stop it being a heavy drinker, but should at least make it last a while longer !

I would like to know whether this rate of oil consumption is typical of this engine. I can't really believe that every Mini owner (there are lots) has to add a litre every 1000 miles? If they don't, the ones that do must have engines which should have failed proper quality-control - or been cured under warranty. Typically the warranty terms permit excessive usage. My daughter has a Mini, and the dipstick design makes it difficult to read clearly.

After owning cars of various makes for about 50 years I can only remember two or three which used a lot of oil. Those few suffered from worn valve-stem or other seals, and of course it was nearly always cheaper just to add oil, rather than fix the seals.

Edited by Andrew-T on 06/08/2014 at 12:44

Thanks for the info. I do check oil weekly now and have found usage of about 1 litre every 100o miles approx. Have today spoken to a specalist engine tunning garage they confirmed this usage is normal for this type of turbo charged engine and the type of synthetic light oil used. I cannot afford to sell a car I just got even thou it has a PSA engine

MINI Cooper S - Oil consumption - mss1tw
top up using a good quality oil and also make sure the servicing is carried out on schedule using quality oils and filters.

This thing is using so much oil you could probably get away with just a filter change! ;-P

This thing is using so much oil you could probably get away with just a filter change! ;-P

If the oil is being refreshed that often you wouldn't need to change the filter !

Have written to BMW Mini asking about oil consumption too, be interesting to hear what they say

What a waste of time MINI customer service are, they told me to go to my local MINI garage , no comment about oil consumption , surely they are aware of the issue

MINI Cooper S - Oil consumption - craig-pd130

As others posted, this model's engine does have a reputation for using oil. However, you are doing the right thing by regularly checking and keeping the oil topped up.

I would suggest checking the oil level weekly or every 500 miles, and just topping up half a litre at a time when it needs it, rather than waiting to add a full litre. Providing you do not overfill it with oil, it's better for the engine to be running with only a little less than the recommended level than with a litre less.

MINI Cooper S - Oil consumption - skidpan

Back in the 1970's I bought an Avenger form my dad. 3 years old when I got it but it had always used about 1 pint of oil every 250 miles, no leaks, just used it. All the while I had it the oil consumption was the same and the chap who I sold it to experienced the same oil usage for the next 8 years even when towing his caravan.

Problem is with todays emmision systems excessive oil in the exhaust can cause catalyst issues and blocked recirc valves.

But while ever its running OK just keep it topped up.