BMW 5 series F10 - Bought a 2nd hand car, advice on service please - Shock

Recently bought a 01/2011 made F10 520d SE with 90K on the clock, so far really happy with it. Its a Manual car, not an auto.

Car seems to have been serviced regularly and had 4 main dealer services. Last service was done at 85K in January 2014. Ideally, I want to keep the car for a while.

Had an Audi A3 before this, so new to large BMWs & diesels..
I’m after some advice on what should I watch out for? Anything I should change/service now as a precaution? Any known faults on this model?

1) Timing chain issue, as I’m new to diesels will I be able to notice the noise?

2) Any special advice/care for Diesel Particle Filter?

3) Any special care for the Dual Mass Flywheel?

4) Anything else that I should watch out for due to the miles?

Thanks for any help,

BMW 5 series F10 - Bought a 2nd hand car, advice on service please - skidpan

Other than regular servicing with genuine parts and high quality oil there is nothing you can do other than hope nothing breaks. None of the parts you mention has a servicing requirement so other than driving there is nothing to do.

Any high milage car is a risk but based on the age/mileage yours has probably lead an easy motorway life so keep your fingers crossed.

Servicing at a BMW dealer is surprisingly economically priced but repairs can be quite pricey. Servicing at our local BMW indy was only a few £'s cheaper when I enquired but he save me quite a sum when a spring broke.

Edited by skidpan on 12/05/2014 at 17:01

BMW 5 series F10 - Bought a 2nd hand car, advice on service please - gordonbennet

4 oil changes in 85k is not the best regime, i'd switch to annual or 10k changes whichever comes first.

It might be old hat now, but lots of babies have been thrown out with unfashionable bath water, let the turbo warm up and cool down a bit before starting and before turning off if its been working.

I'd get the gearbox and rear axle oils changed whether they appear on the minimalist makers service sheet or not, this should be easy DIY if your are so minded....well assuming they've seen fit to provide drain plugs in the transmission.

I don't know if the swirl flap issue (in the inlet manifold) is now completely sorted on these later engines, might be worth asking good BMW indies for their advice on that, might be worth calling PMW at Chelmsford, well known in the BMW indy world.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/05/2014 at 18:24

BMW 5 series F10 - Bought a 2nd hand car, advice on service please - gordonbennet

doh...should have said let turbo warm up after starting, and cool down before stopping.

BMW 5 series F10 - Bought a 2nd hand car, advice on service please - oldtoffee
85k in 3 and a bit years so the DPF should be functioning fine and the car has spent a fair bit of time on longer runs so the dmf shouldn't have been overworked. I'd change the oil and filter every 10k from now on and let the turbo cool down a bit after runs and hope the previous owner did the same as this is the potential problem area on the 2l diesel BMWs.

Thanks for the replies,

Yah I hope the DPF is OK as it sould have had good few long runs.

About changing gearbox oil, is that for the manual box too? I know a good mechanic so will ask him to do that. Havn't heard of the rear axil oil change yet.. but will enquire too.

My work is only 12 miles away which I drive to, but its start stop after the initial 8 or so miles.. So I might need to take a long drive one in a month or so and hopefully this will keep the DPF in shape.

Will also let th turbo warm up after starting, and cool down before stopping.. Had a Mini Cooper S, with a super charger, so kind of used to this.

Edited by Shock on 13/05/2014 at 00:28

BMW 5 series F10 - Bought a 2nd hand car, advice on service please - SteveLee

A supercharger is driven mechanically by the engine and won't carry on spinning away at 100,000rpm after you've shut the engine off cutting its oil supply. Nor do displacement type superchargers (such as the Cooper's) run at such high RPMs.

BMW 5 series F10 - Bought a 2nd hand car, advice on service please - galileo

A supercharger is driven mechanically by the engine and won't carry on spinning away at 100,000rpm after you've shut the engine off cutting its oil supply. Nor do displacement type superchargers (such as the Cooper's) run at such high RPMs.

Turbine housings can reach 400 - 500 C, but mechanical superchargers' only source of heat is the engine block itself and maybe 120 C from compressing air, so don't overheat oil anyway.

Thanks, new things I have learned about the turbo.