What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2005 honda civic 1.6 vtec se - acceleration problem - deanswan

Hi all. Needing help. My civic has started being weird (so to speak).

Whilst accelerating if revs go to 4000rpm it will not go any more and splutters and wont accelerate any further. Any ideas or solving will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

2005 honda civic 1.6 vtec se - acceleration problem - elekie&a/c doctor

Could be the vtec system not operating correctly.First thing to do is check the engine oil level.

Hi, and thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Although oil level is correct.

2005 honda civic 1.6 vtec se - acceleration problem - madf

Blocked air filter.

MAF sensor dirty.

Cool. Thanks mate. Will have a look now.

2005 honda civic 1.6 vtec se - acceleration problem - pn1973

had the same problem with mine and it was low on oil.

Oil seems ok, mate put machine on it today and came up variable timing valve, he didnt say code just that?????

The vtec variable timing valve system works from the engine oil pressure system.That is why the oil level and grade must be correct.It is possible that the vtec operating valve has become sludged up.It will need removing to clean out the mesh filtration system.hth

2005 honda civic 1.6 vtec se - acceleration problem - Bolt

How did you check level ie on a flat road or half on half off kerb,I see it a lot people checking oil level on a gradient.

Civic oil level is critical on vtec models, slightly below max level is enough to cause problems

Thanks again all for the advice, was on the flat. Also could anyone point me to the valve in question to clean? Also is there any reliable mobile mechanics in south wales that could do a full service with stamp please? I am on 140 k mileslast service was at 99k.

Well all I can say is that 41k miles without an oil change is probably the issue with the vtec system.

Time for an oil change, oil and air filter change and a careful brake inspection.

It's a tribute to Honda it's lasted your gross abuse.

Thanks again. Any recomendations on best oil to use for change (grade).

A synthetic 5-30W.

Asda/Morrisons do a good priced oil..