What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fiesta ST 55 - Ford fiesta ST 55 plate, stiff gears - JoeBraundWard

Hi all.

I have recently had this problem where getting into and out of gears get very tuff or stiff.

Only when its hot or should i say warmed up.

When its cold it couldnt be a better gear box.

Clutch is fine biteing at around half way up.

Went to a garage and basicly said i need a new gear box :/ i then asked why it would only be like this when its hot/warm and not when its cold, but couldnt give me a straight answer.

I dont really want to pay out god knows how much money on a new gearbox+labour when in the back of my mind i dont think i need one.

Any body else had this issue??

(sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, Im new here)

Many thanks

Ford fiesta ST 55 - Ford fiesta ST 55 plate, stiff gears - oldroverboy.

My immediate reaction would be to check that there is oil in the gearbox, check the fiesta forums, and also ask a ford dealer,

Ford fiesta ST 55 - Ford fiesta ST 55 plate, stiff gears - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

It's a common fault with the Fiesta gear change - well known about and there's plenty of other threads on this forum with advice about it. There are plastic bushes which must distort slightly when warm. I've read of some chaps who have dismantled the bushes and run a drill bit through them. Try removing the driver's side cover from the centre console - next to your left foot - and spray silicone lubricant around the two rods from the gear stick which go through to connect up to the gear-change cables. It'll get better with wear, but I agree that changing gear when it's that stiff is a real pain. But it is just the gear-change rods and cables, nothing serious at all!

And just to add to that - it is such a common problem that I can't understand why garages say that they've never come across the problem before! Nearly every Fiesta owner has!

Edited by MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom on 04/02/2014 at 11:10

Thanks alot for both the replys. i managed to get in the black plastic box today to the gear box and spray lube all over the linkages and bushes in there so im hoping that might help it. ill also do what you said tomorrow. iv been to 3 garages now and they have all said that they have never heard of that before :/ all start to tell me that it could be the clutch or the gearbox itself.

Ford fiesta ST 55 - Ford fiesta ST 55 plate, stiff gears - Teccy

Common enough problem on Fiestas,after accessing inside the black box,remove the circlip holding the heavy metal gearchange lever.Remove the gear cable and pull the lever off its pin (this may be difficult) .Clean the pin and the lever,grease with copper grease and re-assemble.Should sort the problem.

Sounds easy enough. thanks a bunch for the help all. ill give that a go at the weekend. not to saVvy with machanics but that seems easy enough. and iv already had that black box open a few days ago so ill give it ago :)

Thanks again!