What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i20 - Winter tyres/steel wheels - Dougie68

I'm trying to buy a set of winter tyres and steel wheels.

I knew my i20's tyres were 185/60/R15s but had problems finding out about the wheel specs. The owners manual was no use and have not heard from Hyundai Customer Services regarding this.

I have been looking in the meantime and found a set of steel wheels on mytyres.co.uk but again having some problems.

"5.5 x 15 4 x 100.00 x 54.00 ET:51.00 "

I know that 5.5 x 15 are fine, and from other websites found that 4 x 100 is also fine. 54 seems to be the Centre Bore but am not sure what ET:51.00 is.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Dougie

Hyundai i20 - Winter tyres/steel wheels - skidpan

but am not sure what ET:51.00 is.

Its the offset of the centreline from the wheel hub. Get it worng and the wheels/tyres can foul on the suspension or body.

If you remove an existing wheel this info will be cast or stamped into the wheel. On some cars its between the studs thus no removal necessary.

Hyundai i20 - Winter tyres/steel wheels - bathtub tom

This site may help if you're prepared to accept some from a scrapyard: www.wheelfitment.eu/

Hyundai i20 - Winter tyres/steel wheels - skidpan

This site may help if you're prepared to accept some from a scrapyard: www.wheelfitment.eu/

Just checked the above site.

The information it gives for my Seat Leon is incorrect. It says the wheels are ET 50 yet in truth they vary with size. Mine are the most common 16" wheels and they are actually ET46.

Checked the info for my old BMW 118D, ET wrong yet again. It varies with width, my 17's were ET47, my 16's were ET44 . The site above says ET42.

Checked the info for the wifes Kia Ceed, ET wrong again. Site says ET 47, wheels on car are ET51.

At least they are consistent, wrong but consistent.

Check this site. Bought form them before with no issues. www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/magnetto-wheels-mw-r1...8

Edited by skidpan on 08/01/2014 at 17:01

Hyundai i20 - Winter tyres/steel wheels - RT

Small variations in ET are unimportant - but what constitutes "small" depends on all the clearances.

Hyundai i20 - Winter tyres/steel wheels - gordonbennet

Offset varies with wheel width, obviously.

Offset varies with wheel width, obviously.

It shouldn't - the offset is the distance between the flange and centre of the rim - going wider or narrower needs the ET retained otherwise steering and suspension geometry can be adversely affected.

It shouldn't - the offset is the distance between the flange and centre of the rim - going wider or narrower needs the ET retained otherwise steering and suspension geometry can be adversely affected.

It depends.

If a wider rim has the width equally divided about the centre, then I'd agree.

However, many of these 'Fandango' type, wide wheels don't have sufficient clearance inside the centre line and consequently the aditional width's all on the outside.

However, many of these 'Fandango' type, wide wheels don't have sufficient clearance inside the centre line and consequently the aditional width's all on the outside.

I agree that's what they have to do - but it does play havoc with steering and suspension angles.

I agree that's what they have to do - but it does play havoc with steering and suspension angles.

I checked on oponeo and found a set that say offset 45. I thought I'd double check with RT, who mentioned angles, if I should bother about being a mill out.

Had an e-mail back from mytyres who say "Please be advised that the information on the website for the complete sets of wheels is listed with the approval of each car manufacturer"

I've checked every variation of an i20 to find a set with offset 46 but no joy! I wonder who's approving the data as I can't get anything out of Hyundai.

All the differences you state are 5mm or less, hardly earth shattering.

As with all sites that contain masses of data, I'd expect some erors.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Checked the spare wheel and it says H46 so I've been saved from making a costly mistake.

Thanks again

Dougie