What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford galaxy v6 - erratic idle 800-1000 rpm - dipsomaniac

would appreciate any help/advice with erratic idle on vr6 engine.

ford galaxy v6 - erratic idle 800-1000 rpm - elekie&a/c doctor

You need to be checking all the air intake and breather hoses for possible leaks.Also make sure the throttle housing and butterfly flaps are clean.This is same engine as Golf.

thanks. have replaced the concertina hose (had a hole in it) from top of engine to intake hose and a few other vacuum hoses. do i need to strip the throttle housing or will a carb cleaner spray work?

ford galaxy v6 - erratic idle 800-1000 rpm - Cyd

you need carb cleaner. try Toolstation if you have one near you or Halfords otherwise.

Use an old toothbrush and some cloth. spray the cleaner onto these and use to clean the throttle body and butterfly. do not swamp the body with lots of cleaner (on newer cars, manufacturers of throttle bodies WILL NOT warrant bodies if there are any signs that any cleaner has been used on them!!!).

I've found that keeping the throttle body clean helps to keep the engine running smoothly and economically. Especially pick up from low speed.

If you have a turbo, keep the compressor clean periodically too.

thanks for the replies. replaced all the vacuum hoses around the intake with silicone hoses. couldn't remove the throttle body as one of the hex screws was rounded so cleaned in situ.

seems to have cured the hunting problem and car idling around 850 rpm but when i switch on the lights the idle goes to 1000 rpm

don't know if linked but the airbag and abs lights (situated next to each other) on the dash sometimes flash when the indicators or windows are opened

is it normal for idle to change so much? if not, any advice appreaciated