What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - fortygreen

My wife has owned an Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic since new (Aug 2007). It has covered 56,000 miles, is in super condition and we love it other than the DSG transmission's jerkiness from rest. After this worsened, Audi reset the software, which slightly improved matters, but it is still very difficult to manoeuvre at slow speeds because of the sudden, jerky take-up of drive however carefully one feathers the throttle. Audi have explored it further and are now proposing that we replace the mechatronics unit with a new one that has redesigned valving, which they say should be a smooth as the new model they loaned us. The cost is £1,733 less 50% goodwill, so £866 incl. VAT. What do you recommend we do out of: a) nothing, b) have Audi fix it, c) trade it in against a new A3 or Golf? Or lastly, are there independents who can replace just the valving with the latest version at lower cost than swapping the whole mechatronics unit?

Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - slkfanboy

A google search will return loads of posts about this issue. Clearly Audi are playing with you. There is no need for the to explore anything as it's a know issue with the gearbox and subject to a recall.

I would check to see if your car was subject to a recall. I suggest going to another garage to so there is no more pulling the wool over your eyes.alternatively I think you can check online if you have the vin number handy.

I hate when dealers give you the run around like this and had it a few times over the years. I lost the faith with VW/Audi after all 5 new cars i purchased had a duff something or other being subject to a recall. So far BMW's and evan the Merc's I had seem not have the same issues well any issues.

Alex

Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - gordonbennet

''c) trade it in against a new A3 or Golf?''

Please don't reward a company, who make products that don't work or last and fails to stand by the product or their customer, by giving them more business.

Thats like voting the same bunch of career politicians in every 5 years and expecting them to do the right thing next time..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/11/2013 at 19:40

Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - The-Mechanic

Just a thought !!!

Has the gearbox oil and filter been replaced ? I know the VW's with the DSG 'box have to have it done at 40k miles and the Audi is essentially the same, if not identical. I've seen a few VW's have poor gear selection and jerkiness if they have missed an oil and filter change so that may be a place to start ?

Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - coopshere
Assuming you want to continue with an automatic box none of the above. Trade it in for something other than an automatic VAG product that has consistently given problems without very little support from the manufacturer.
Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - fortygreen

Yes the transmission oil etc. was replaced at 40,000 miles. We want to keep the car: it's been faultless otherwise and and a lovely car. So with all due respect to FM advice in this thread, we instructed the local dealer to proceed on the basis of their 50% goodwill offer. Car is 6 years old and although low mileage at 56k I feel that's not unreasonable. But the twist is this. Having fitted new mechatronics unit allegedly featuring upgraded valving that allows smoother engagement, they are repeatedly unable to "code" it, meaning they can't carry out the necessary "adaptation" to the car, so it's not driveable yet. They have been working on it for 7 days now and I understand they have enlisted help from Audi UK and Audi Germany. Watch this space.

Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - Kk786
Guys any advice appreciated.

I jus bought a3 s line s Tronic. 6 year old FASH with 75 on clock. It jerks when driving jus on take off when stopped.

Problem with Mechatronics. Needs new 1. £2.5k to replace Audi dealer offered £500 off as goodwill.
Has transmission service no joy. Do I have any rights as seemingly this car not made fit for purpose?
Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - Kk786
Sorry forgot to add this was a private sale when bought and car has been maintained at Audi for life of Vehicle.
Audi A3 1.8TFSI Sport S-tronic - Replace mechatronics unit or not? - madf

No redress from private seller unless you can prove# lying and go to The Small Claims Court.

# which effectively means advertising it as all OK and knowing it was not..

So in the real world not a hope.