What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord 2.0l VTEC SE 5 Door Hatchback - Front/Rear Brake Pipe/Line Replacement Cost - Bazzy

I have just had my Car MOT'd and the garage called to say that it failed and needs the Front and Rear Brake pipe/lines replaced at a cost of £300. (they said that they need to replace over 4meters of pipe/lines).

Is this a true reflection of the work carried out at £300 or am I getting ripped off?

Please let me know as I am no mechanic?

Thanks

Honda Accord 2.0l VTEC SE 5 Door Hatchback - Front/Rear Brake Pipe/Line Replacement Cost - gordonbennet

You don't give a year of manufacture, so we can't really judge if this sounds right.

Highly unlikely that all pipes need replacing, but in practice when you start to undo scabby brake pipes the next section gets twisted up as the joints are corroded solid and you can end up doing near enough the lot, if the flexibles need replacing too then that cost could easily be about right.

Its good preventative maintenance to keep the pipes well greased/waxoyled from new, if well looked after they should last the life of the car, it can mean serious dismantling of the suspension to replace some rear pipes especially, often enough the rear subrame/suspension has to be dropped to gain access.

Most owners neglect brakes, the most important part of a car, until they fail the MOT, they need regular care and attention.

I'd be inclined to get a second opinion on your car and then compare.

Honda Accord 2.0l VTEC SE 5 Door Hatchback - Front/Rear Brake Pipe/Line Replacement Cost - Bazzy

Honda Accord 2001 Year

Thanks for the Information.

I don't think I could get a second opionion as they said that the car had no brakes as the pipe burst during the MOT brake test

The garage said that it required over 4meteres of pipe to be replaced.

Honda Accord 2.0l VTEC SE 5 Door Hatchback - Front/Rear Brake Pipe/Line Replacement Cost - gordonbennet

Difficult one, you haven't got much manoeuvering room there.

Unless you have a very good chap whom you trust on tap who could trailer it out and fix it for you cheaper than the quote you've had then it looks like one of those to take on the chin.

On the good side better it burst on the rollers than in a panic situation on the road.

Must have been badly neglected however for this to happen.

Thanks for the reply.

Seems like I will need to take this on the chin!

Just wanted to know really if this is price of £300 is worth the replacement of all the front and rear brake pipes as if it is then I don't feel like I am being ripped off.

Honda Accord 2.0l VTEC SE 5 Door Hatchback - Front/Rear Brake Pipe/Line Replacement Cost - corax

It cost me around £370 to replace the rear brake pipes and flexi hoses on my previous BMW, but that included a new rear brake caliper. The fuel tank had to be dropped as the pipes go over the top.

The price doesn't seem unreasonable to me considering that all of your pipes need replacing, but I don't know how involved the job is on the Accord. I do know that they are prone to brake pipe corrosion, as are many cars, Mk 3 Mondeo's being one.

The materials are cheap, most of the cost will be labour.

Honda Accord 2.0l VTEC SE 5 Door Hatchback - Front/Rear Brake Pipe/Line Replacement Cost - daveyK_UK

Alot easier to replace them if you can get the old ones off and copy the shape.