What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2008/9 - Best Engine Size? - RichardGC

Im looking to buy a 2008/9 petrol focus. I currently have a I.6 Astra but do a fair amount of motorway driving so was thinking about a I.8 Focus. Are there substantial advantages in the I.8 over the I.6?

Edited by Avant on 02/11/2013 at 12:08

Ford Focus 2008/9 - Best Engine Size? - skidpan

In the past I have driven the 1.6 and 1.8 petrol Focus. The 1.6 was a slug, the 1.8 was much better.

However, since you say you are doing a fair amount of motorway miles a diesel would probably be better but I would not buy a diesel Focus even though we had a 1.6 TDCi for 5 trouble free years. A 2009 1.6 TDCi has DPF which requires expensive Eolys top ups and although the 1.8 TDCi does not we found it to be very unrefined and slow.

My choice based on recent experience would be a Kia Ceed. We have had a 1.6 CRDi for just over 3 years now and its been totally fault free. Providing the car was registered before August 2010 it will not have a DPF (between September 2010 and Jan 2011 its a 50 - 50 chance). They normally sell for about the same prices as the Focus but since they come with a 7 year warranty providing you get one with full service history (preferably main dealer) you will still be able to benefit from that if needed for a couple of years.

Have a look and a drive, we were surprised and still remain happy with our choice.

Edited by skidpan on 29/10/2013 at 11:18

Ford Focus 2008/9 - Best Engine Size? - John F

Im looking to buy a 2008/9 petrol focus. I currently have a I.6 Astra but do a fair amount of motorway driving so was thinking about a I.8 Focus. Are there substantial advantages in the I.8 over the I.6?

Ford Focus 2008/9 - Best Engine Size? - daveyK_UK

I found the 1.6 astra Iin the 02 plate and 07 plate to be faster than a 1.6 focus in a Y plate and/or a 05 plate.

Not sure how much more power you would get from a 1.8 focus, but Im certain the 1.8 petrol was found only in the mark 1 focus?

It would certainly be a better choice than the 1.6 unit in the focus.

Happy to be corrected.

Ford Focus 2008/9 - Best Engine Size? - FP

According to Wikipedia, the Mk 2 Focus (2004-11) globally had the following engines at some point:

1.4 L I4 Zetec-SE
1.6 L I4 Zetec-SE
1.6 L I4 Zetec-SE Ti-VCT
1.6 L I4 Diesel TDCI
1.6 L I4 Diesel TDCI DPF
1.8 L I4 Duratec HE
1.8 L I4 Diesel TDCI
1.8 L I4 Duratec HE FFV (Flexifuel vehicle)
2.0 L I4 Duratec HE
2.0 L I4 Diesel TDCI
2.5 L I5 Turbocharged T5

I can't tell you whether all of those were available in the UK.

Ford Focus 2008/9 - Best Engine Size? - John F
[dunno why this didn't appear in my last post] Just wanted to say - no substantial advantages. Our airport/general dogsbody is a 2000 Focus petrol Zetec 1.6 estate which cruises happily at an indicated 75-80 and, with its 4 speed Ford/Mazda autobox, is good at overtaking. The engine feels exactly the right size for the car, which apart from the known rear wheel bearing fault, has been no trouble. Ford really got it right with this one. It might only be worth tuppence now but we intend to keep it indefinitely.

Ford Focus 2008/9 - Best Engine Size? - tanvir

I do plenty of motorway miles in my 1.6. It's fine when I'm on my own but when I have more than 2 passengers it struggles somewhat.

Ford Focus 2008/9 - Best Engine Size? - Avant

As always with questions like this, it depends on the type of driving that you're going to do.

If you normally drive quite slowly, or mostly in towns, then the smaller engine will do fine. But if your motoring is more varied and you like to get a move on, go for the bigger engine. You won't need as much throttle opening to make decent progress, so that there will be little if any penalty with fuel consumption.