What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Saloon - Ford Focus Starting Problems 1.6 Petrol Auto. - M&C

Hi. We've got a 2003 Ford Focus 1.6 Saloon automatic and for about a year we've been having intermittent (sporadic) starting problems where if you turn the key, all the dashboard lights come on like normal, and then nothing, just a click. We had the starter motor replaced about 10 days ago and it seemed to go away for about a week, but now the problem has returned. Sometimes it will start after 2-3 turns of the key, other times it can take 20-30 turns before it will attempt to start. It only cranks as it starts, otherwise just a click! Occasionally messing around with the electric windows or radio will actually get it to attempt to start more quickly (or so it seems). Any ideas please? Many thanks, M&C.

Ford Focus Saloon - Ford Focus Starting Problems 1.6 Petrol Auto. - elekie&a/c doctor

Has the battery been tested?Also I would check the main battery and earth lead connections to the engine.hth

Ford Focus Saloon - Ford Focus Starting Problems 1.6 Petrol Auto. - littleolliez

i would see look at relays i had similar with my galaxy go on fine for ages then just stop couldnt start it then leave it for a while fires up first time. When you turn the key listen for the lift pump to kick in if it has one. When i had the trouble turned key couldnt hear the lift pump turned out to be relay 30 i think not sure if its the same for yours. Best of luck

Ford Focus Saloon - Ford Focus Starting Problems 1.6 Petrol Auto. - gordonbennet

Could try by-passing the starter inhibitor switch/relay for a few days assuming its reasonable to get to...the system that only allows the car to start in P or N....this assumes of course that the gearbox has a traditional inhibitor switch.

Remember though doing so should allow the car to start in gear so extra care should be taken whilst eliminating this item.