What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Golf TDI 2004 - VW Golf TDI MK5-Clutch pedal sticking halfway up - Tony Soprano

Hi,the clutch pedal on my Golf gets stuck on the way up about halfway,then it either pops back the rest of way on its own,or I help it up with my foot.Just had the master cylinder changed,as I had low bite point on clutch,the sticky pedal was there before changing master cylinder,but its now worse.Any ideas what`s causing this?

VW Golf TDI 2004 - VW Golf TDI MK5-Clutch pedal sticking halfway up - cws

We had this on Mk5 when we had one. I tried bleeding it several times and it was marginally better. Reading around at the time, I was led to believe it was a problem with the slave cylinder (apparently they can crack).

VW Golf TDI 2004 - VW Golf TDI MK5-Clutch pedal sticking halfway up - Tony Soprano

OK thanks for that.Will try bleeding it again.Did you ever replace the slave cylinder then?

No - gave up on the car and sold it, as this was just one of the many problems with it...!

Wow sorry to hear that.Have had a few teething problems myself with this car too,but one by one,they are being sorted!

You were right by the way,the sticking clutch pedal was a faulty slave cylinder,replaced it with an OEM one,and clutch finally feels good,now if I can just fix the hot starting problem....(!)

Ah, the hot-start issue!

This is well known and there are 2 possible causes (and only one easy fix!).....

It can be a weak battery that is getting towards the end of it's life - this is the easy fix. We had the hot start issue and replaced the battery and it did make things better BUT it doesn't solve the problem altogether. The other cause seems to be down to the engine control module, specifically the program logic. After reading around, it seems that the 1.9TDI on the Mk5 was programmed to inject slightly less fuel when the engine had only recently been switched off/was above a certain temp - hence takes a bit more turning over to get it started again. I don't know why it was done this way and I recall some Dutch-based tuner was offering a fix to the control module logic to fix it.....so drastic action!