Lucky Aussies! - galileo

A centre-Right party manages to win a landslide election by standing to cut immigration, lower taxes, end the obsession with CO2 emissions and reduce foreign aid.

Would such a party do well here in 2015? (I particularly like the CO2 obsessions policy)

Edited by galileo on 08/09/2013 at 20:06

Lucky Aussies! - jamie745

You wouldn't have thought they'd need to pledge immigration cuts in Australia, given their rigorous system which makes us look like complete idiots. From the little I know of Australian politics, it's not so much immigration causing an issue there but rather asylum seekers.

Would such a party do well here in 2015?

Probably not. Too many people in Britain work for the Government for such a party to win. Many of those who don't work for the Government directly are dependent on Government spending in some way, shape or form.

The only party likely to pledge any of this here is UKIP, but a huge part of that is the fact our centre-right party think open door immigration is fine, they think raising the foreign aid budget is our national obligation and they fully support the building of useless windmills.

Unfortunately for Cameron and the Conservatives, even if they did change tact now, nobody would believe them anyway.

Lucky Aussies! - wrangler_rover

Wouldn't happen in Britain, it appears we're no longer governed by Westminster but by Brussles.

The reason none of the political establishment are anti EU is because it's a resthome for failed politicians such as Neil Kinnock.

Lucky Aussies! - Leif

Wouldn't happen in Britain, it appears we're no longer governed by Westminster but by Brussles.

The reason none of the political establishment are anti EU is because it's a resthome for failed politicians such as Neil Kinnock.

Sadly that is true.

Lucky Aussies! - Leif

I think it was Peter Oborne on R4 who pointed out that our country is run by a slightly left of centre middle class intellectual elite, and I think he is right. Those who can create the zeitgeist in the media rule the country.

As for UKIP, no chance. Roll on Nu Labor Mark 3, the post Brown era, aka The Beige Years. Cameron is such an ineffectual dipstick, and slightly patronising in an old style patrician manner.

I think you will find that a substantial proportion of the country swallow the immigration is good, foreign aid is good, tax cuts are bad stuff.

Lucky Aussies! - galileo

I think you will find that a substantial proportion of the country swallow the immigration is good, foreign aid is good, tax cuts are bad stuff.

Maybe the 'Hampstead thinkers' and their equivalents, LibDems, treehuggers etc. Not many in the less affluent areas of the country. Those struggling to make a living tend to think Charity should begin at home.

Lucky Aussies! - sandy56
AUS is not the paradise on earth some people think it is.
House prices are very high, wages are not great and the employment laws are brutal.

They do have immigration problem's in the big cities in the east ask about the race riots.
The locals now don't want all the Europeans in, and if they do its because there is now too many Asians and they want more white faces. They are facing the same problems we are but they do seem more open about it.
The big problem they have is China- too big, too many people and the biggest army in the world and soon the biggest navy. They have got to spend that money somewhere. I guess that's why they have just agreed to have a new BIG US army base in Australia.

House prices are very high

In the centre of Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra yes. House prices in Australia started rising just as UK prices were falling, so suddenly Brits looking to exile found they couldn't afford quite as much as they thought.

Lucky Aussies! - Andrew-T

Cameron is such an ineffectual dipstick, and slightly patronising in an old style patrician manner.

If that is your opinion of D-C, I am wondering what it might be if the current Opposition leader became PM.

If that is your opinion of D-C, I am wondering what it might be if the current Opposition leader became PM.

I feel that opinion would remain completely unchanged.