Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - Mr Fox

Which is the best out of these two ?

Both are the next to top spec, roughly equivalent power output, plenty of goodies etc.

Pug has a glass roof which is nice and a few extras over those on the Skoda.

Skoda feels a bit cheap plastic and basic inside, I have VW CC now so I guess its not going to be to the same standard as that.

I need a big comfy fast estate car, not even looked at Mazda 6 ( they have no dealers as far as I can find ) Would like a BMW 5 series but as its a company car they set a max price of 28 Grand. and max co2 of 130.

3 series & A4 are just too small.

X1 might be OK - not looked at it yet.

Insignia and Mondeo also possibilities, but neither really excite me, same for Passat Estate "SPORT"

Don't want Avensis even though I had 2 already, just want a change.

Certainly don't want anything Korean.

Citroen C5 is just Dire, the DS5 looks OK but driving position doesn't suit me.

What a dilemma . . .

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - greenhey

I'm surprised you are even considering the Peugeot.

Comparing the trim- Peugeots have developed lots of flash, but not quite mastered the art of making it work for more than a few weeks. The Skoda may have less sexy-looking trim , but it's more likely to stay attached to where it's supposed to be.

I really struggle to understand the attraction of the 1 series. It seems to me to be designed for people who will ignore other better, more practical and rewarding cars just to get the badge.

Out of the other cars you mention, you seem unimpressed by the Mondeo.Yet as a package for build quality and driveability it may well be the best.

Edited by greenhey on 19/08/2013 at 22:12

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - Avant

I agree - I'd rather have a Skoda than a Peugeot. It may be worth looking at the new Octavia estate: it's almost as big and roomy as the Superb, and a bit cheaper. A vRS (petrol or diesel) will be faster than most Superbs, and you can have plenty of extras if you want them within your company budget.

Well I actually like Mondeos so much that I already have one, well the "old trout" has one a 57 plate 2.0 TDI Zetec with Sporty 17"Alloy wheels, roof bars and a roof spoiler, in tonic Blue, thats done 105000 miles and is probably worth about two grand.

So it would be madness to have another one almost identical.

I thought the BMW X1 was basically a 3 series touring thats a bit bigger so that it can carry more stuff. I could have that in a 20 D effiecient dynamics business trim, that seems pretty decent, although I haven't ever actually been in one yet.

Finally what is wrong with Peugeot ? I thought they used the same Diesel engines as Ford, Jaguar, Land rover etc, they have been making cars long enough and they were supposed to be very tough. most of Africa is still using 504 Peugeots that were last made in 1980, but still produced in Nigeria until recently.

I had a 406 Estate a few years ago, it did 130 K miles with absolutely no trouble. It was involved in quite a serious accident when some teenage fool pulled out in front without looking, it totally decimated his Astra but was still driveable and was easily repaired. So unless they have gone backwards in a massive way, I have no problem at all with Peugeot. I've driven the saloon version as a hire car more than 2000KM all over Spain and it seemed pretty good to me.

Skoda is the brand that has come a long way in recent years, and the Superb does tick all the boxes in 2.0 TDI 170 Elegance trim.

Last time I looked at a Mazda, you would be forgiven the people who made wheely bins for the council, and chip forks, also make their dashboards and interiors.

They cost 24 K DOLLARS in the states for the one they want 28 K £ for here, so thats why they are about as well finished as garden shed.

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - Andrew-T

Finally what is wrong with Peugeot ? I thought they used the same Diesel engines as Ford, Jaguar, Land rover etc, they have been making cars long enough and they were supposed to be very tough. most of Africa is still using 504 Peugeots that were last made in 1980, but still produced in Nigeria until recently.

By now everyone on here knows that I like Pugs. My workhorse car is a 207 while the fun car is a 205. I wasn't impressed with the 206 but I felt that with the 207 Peugeot recovered some flair, at least in driveability. However I wouldn't draw any parallels between today's cars and the old 504 - the whole world has changed since those were designed to last for ever (almost).

But ordinary cars are now so similar that the most important choice features are the extras, and one's personal badge preferences. And perhaps a known preferred dealership.

Peugeot 508 SW 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDI - Mr Fox

I'm not saying they are the same, just that Peugeotfor many years had a reasonable reputation, and I cannot understand why people would now dismiss them as rubbish.

In the same way I cannot understand why everyone is so amazed that Skodas are no longer ill handling deathtraps that are liable to swap ends and burst into flames at the slightest provocation ( as they used to do )

They are essentially Volkswagens, made in a cheaper country using some cheaper quality parts. but they cost almost the same.

The Superb estate is some 200 KG lighter than the Peugeot, so perhaps it has no sound deadening, or is made of thinner steel. something that would quickly become apparent, long after the few hundred quid you've saved has been forgotten about.

Peugeot 508 SW 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDI - sandy56

I drive a 3 yr old 407 hdi SW Sport auto. No faults, no problems and drives great. The glass roof is a great feature, the hifi is good and B.T. is very good with my phone. My first French car in years and so far not regretting it.

Peugeot 508 SW 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDI - Collos25

I really do not understand why the C5 is dire it is almost identical to the 508 including the glass roof if you want it.

Having recently aquired a new VW I can only say the Pug is in a diifferent class, used two 407s for company use over many kms never a bit of bother tyo me it would be no contest PSA every time. .

Peugeot 508 SW 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDI - Ed V

I'm very happy with my C5, and the estate looks even better IMHO.

Peugeot 508 SW 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDI - RT
The Superb estate is some 200 KG lighter than the Peugeot, so perhaps it has no sound deadening, or is made of thinner steel. something that would quickly become apparent, long after the few hundred quid you've saved has been forgotten about.

Or perhaps it uses higher strength steel - which reduces weight, improving fuel consumption

Peugeot 508 SW 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDI - Mr Fox

Or perhaps it uses higher strength steel - which reduces weight, improving fuel consumption

It is true that many cars in the VW group use so called High strength steels, that are not intrinsically stronger but are "hot stamped" to produce a tempered part like a spring, giving lighter stronger structural parts that can absorb more energy in a collision.

These are also used by PSA group, the first PSA car to use such technology was the 2001 C5 and hence it acheived a five Star EURO NCAP rating.

Full details about this can be found here.

http://www.arcelormittal.com/fce/saturnus/sheets/E_EN.pdf

(its what i do for a job )

Anyway I have decided to go for the Skoda now. Its faster, bigger, more economical, more like the Passat CC that I have now and more comfortable. Plus the Elegance model has all the kit I need and fits my Budget and CO2 requirements.

I was looking at Octavia VRS also today, that is a beautiful car.

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - craig-pd130

Volvo V60? The D4 163bhp 5-cylinder motor is a peach, and the 'Business Edition' spec goes head to head with the cars you've mentioned. With standard 16" alloys and 55-profile tyres it's supremely comfy.

Do NOT be fooled by media assertions that the load area is small. My V60 swallows exactly the same amount of gear for 2-week family holidays that my previous Mondeo IV estate did, with no need to leave stuff behind or use roofboxes etc. And no-one ever criticises the Mondeo IV for being 'small'.

The V60 has clever built-in features like cargo nets that separate the cabin from the load area, making it very versatile for carrying stuff.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 20/08/2013 at 10:34

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - skidpan

Volvo V60?

Do NOT be fooled by media assertions that the load area is small.

You have got to be joking. Looked at a V60 very briefly when we were car shopping a few months ago. We were actually looking at the V40 but the Mrs liked the looks of the V60 and likes Volvo's so we had a quick look while we were there for future reference. Compared to a Mondeo or even our Kia Ceed SW the load space of the V60 was tiny and you don't need to measure it or fill it with luggage to confirm that fact. The rear seat space and access was poor as well.

Not joking - just based on 3.5 years ownership of a Mondeo IV estate and over 2 years ownership of a V60. The load area may look smaller, and the data says it is smaller -- but appearances and data aren't everything.

In the Mondeo you couldn't stow anything higher than the seat backs because there was nothing other than the luggage blind to secure it. The Volvo has locking luggage nets etc as standard, and securing hooks / attachment points all over.

Sure, the V60 has a little less legroom in the rear than the Mondeo, but even so, I can comfortably "sit behind" myself in the back with the driver's seat set as I normally have it positioned for me. My family prefer the Volvo's seats (front and rear) for comfort and support on longer journeys, too.

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - skidpan

In the Mondeo you couldn't stow anything higher than the seat backs because there was nothing other than the luggage blind to secure it. The Volvo has locking luggage nets etc as standard, and securing hooks / attachment points all over.

So you are filling the V60 to the roof and the Mondeo to the seat tops.

Its not a fair comparison.

To make a fair comparison fill the Mondeo to the roof as well, luggage nets are available to buy.

I could say that when I folded the seats down in the beack of the Micra it had as much luggage sapce as our Mondeo but what would be the point, again, its not a fair comparrison.

Edited by skidpan on 20/08/2013 at 15:00

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - 2.0Tsi
No way would I take a Peugeot currently until they sort out the electrics. We have 4 on our fleet and they are the cars 'left till last'. Yeah they are the 308SW so different model but every one of them has electrical niggles that are annoying.

In fact a magazine with a long term fleet car from Puegeot recently said this;

"Worst of all have been the numerous electrical niggles. In the hands of previous keeper Graham Hope, the 508 struggled to start on a number of occasions, and often couldn’t detect the keyless ignition fob, even when it was in the cabin. It also went through a phase of refusing to lock when you hit the button on the keyfob. Most obvious of all, though, was the digital readout for the time and date, which kept reverting to 2007 ! "

I have seen most of the faults he mentions on our cars ! Also the interiors 'look' quite good however durability ain't no strong point at all.

I know which one I would take especially if depreciation is an issue or lease costs !

So you are filling the V60 to the roof and the Mondeo to the seat tops.

Its not a fair comparison.

Not to the rooftop at all. It just means I'm not limited to the top of the seat-back in order to stow stuff safely (as I was in the Mondeo).

All I'm saying is, all the family luggage for two adults and two teenagers that used to completely fill the boot of the Mondeo IV when going on holiday, fits in the boot of the V60 without leaving anything behind, without putting anything in the cabin of the car, and without blocking my vision in the rear-view mirror.

Yes, the V60 boot has a smaller volume, but volume is not the same as practicality or usable space.

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - Collos25

You cannot honestly hand on heart thing that a V60 has a better load space than a Mondeo perhaps one with the reat down and one with it up..

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - thunderbird

You cannot honestly hand on heart thing that a V60 has a better load space than a Mondeo perhaps one with the reat down and one with it up..

Think craig-pd130 should have gone to spec-savers.

Think craig-pd130 should have gone to spec-savers.

I looked at these Volvos, OK for midgets but not a proper load lugger, and what is the point if you have to load it up to the roof, hardly ideal.

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - Avant

Good choice, Mr Fox: either an Octavia or a Superb should more than fulfil your needs, and be good to drive too if you go for one of the bigger engines.

I worry that Volvo, like Honda, seem to be losing their way. Many people who used to swear by Volvo estates are going elsewhere now: Volvos, even the V70, aren't the roomiest any longer, but their chief vice is that they're MUCH too expensive to buy. You can get an equivalent Audi or BMW for the same price (and they will hold their value better), or a roomier Skoda or Ford for a lot less.

Good choice, Mr Fox: either an Octavia or a Superb should more than fulfil your needs, and be good to drive too if you go for one of the bigger engines.

I worry that Volvo, like Honda, seem to be losing their way. Many people who used to swear by Volvo estates are going elsewhere now: Volvos, even the V70, aren't the roomiest any longer, but their chief vice is that they're MUCH too expensive to buy. You can get an equivalent Audi or BMW for the same price (and they will hold their value better), or a roomier Skoda or Ford for a lot less.

Thanks Avant, I had never considered a Skoda, but after having examined and driven one, and crunched the numbers, and knowing the technology is exactly the same as VW / Audi. I am more than happy to order the Superb with the powerful 170 BHP engine.

The Octavia that has just launched is a deeply impressive car too. especially the VRS. If I wanted somethign more sporty thn that would be perfect, but I want a large barge to waft about in, to cross continents and take 5 passengers.

I looked at these Volvos, OK for midgets but not a proper load lugger, and what is the point if you have to load it up to the roof, hardly ideal.

I'm obviously in the Land of the Giants here in the Back Room. As a midget at 6 feet tall I can comfortably sit behind the driver's seat as it's set for me, with plenty of legroom, knees not up against the seat-back etc.

I'm obviously in the Land of the Giants here in the Back Room. As a midget at 6 feet tall I can comfortably sit behind the driver's seat as it's set for me, with plenty of legroom, knees not up against the seat-back etc.

I suggest that you try the Skoda, Its got loads of room,.

I am 6ft 3, and so I need the seat right back to be comfortable, this is the only car Ive tried apart from the Mondeo, which I already have one of, where I can sit comfortablly in the back. I am pleased that you are happy with your choice. Its comes down to individual preferences, and if the Volvo suits you, that is great.

Read what I wrote again. I am not saying it's better, I'm saying that in real-world usage, it swallows the same load as my previous Mondeo IV did. I'm pointing out that you shouldn't base every judgement on road test impressions from magazines, or dimensions & specifications in a brochure.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 21/08/2013 at 09:11

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - RT

Most road tests give a number of figures for load capacity - typically total volume up to roof with rear seat folded (needs a safety cage) and capacity up to load cover or window line with rear seat in use - these are the two most commonly used methods of loading and give reasonable comparisons.

I've never had any issue with road test or brochure figures although it's getting more complicated with 7-seaters that reduce luggage space to almost zero but only when 3rd-row is in use and 2nd-row seats that can slide backwards/forwards.

We use the ubiquitous 32 litre folding boxes for many things - when I'm looking for a new car I just see how many empty 32 litre boxes I can get in - my Santa Fe holds 12 with the 2nd row seating in use by passengers and load cover in place.

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - Collos25

Read what I wrote again. I am not saying it's better, I'm saying that in real-world usage, it swallows the same load as my previous Mondeo IV did. I'm pointing out that you shouldn't base every judgement on road test impressions from magazines, or dimensions & specifications in a brochure.

I have read what you wrote you are digging a hole and you cannot get out it I suggest you read what you wrote.

I have read what you wrote you are digging a hole and you cannot get out it I suggest you read what you wrote.

Is the hole up to the top of the seatbacks, or higher?

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - 659FBE

I'll try to return to the subject.

Some years ago I was in the market for a big diesel saloon to use as a towcar and motorway hack. The two vehicles in the running at the time were the PSA 406 and the VAG Superb, with 110/130 BHP diesel engines respectively.

A test drive soon revealed the superiority of the VAG PD engine for towing over the rather spineless (by comparison) HDi. The deal breaker was build standard. PSA clearly attach little importance to electrical reliability. Major units such as engine ECUs are mounted with the connectors upwards, so any impaled or condensed water runs into the connectors. The ECU is also in the engine bay, so it runs hot and gets excessively thermally cycled. VAG avoid most of these elementary but criminal design errors.

Some years on, history has proved me to be right, with French vehicles now having (as complexity increses all round) an appalling reputation for electrical reliability. PSA have lost sales as a result. My Skoda has been free of major faults.

As Volvo seem to have crept into the discussion, my obserbvations are that the build standards are nowhere near what they were when Volvo was a Swedish company. A further, and very serious problem is market penetration. There are few pattern spares, no pattern diagnostic software (to my knowledge) and only a few good independents. The total cost of ownership is likely to become eyewateringly high.

I wish the V70 I borrowed had a usable turning circle - try reversing a big trailer...

Peugeot 508 2.0 HDI vs Skoda Superb Estate - dieseldogg

But big trailers are easier reversed than small trailers.

Seriously

Yes?

ps

just stirring

marcus