What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford, vauxhall - Decisions decisions....5k need an mpg machine - lump
Hello all.

I'm hoping to get some advice on purchasing a new used car. I've had a ford fusion for 5 years and have pretty much been trouble free. Problem is I have a need for more space and a bit more comfort.

I've been scratching around and have an idea of what I can afford and what I need. I total around 15000 miles a year with 75% of that being on the M1 or M25.

1.6 - 2.0 Diesel
High Mpg (I know I won't get near the fusion but close is good)
Approx 50000 miles
Manual
Cheap to maintain
5k top budget

I've been looking at the focus cmax as like the shape, style and spec (I will avoid all automatic models after reading on here!). I am however interested to hear if anyone has any other suggestions as I have only ever owned ford cars in my short driving life.

Thanks in advance

Lump.
Ford, vauxhall - Decisions decisions....5k need an mpg machine - tony g
The focus c max 1.6 diesel would be a very good choice ,I've sold two of them recently ,they sell very quickly ,cheap to insure and tax ,good economy .

Because they sell quickly ,you won't get much of a discount .
Ford, vauxhall - Decisions decisions....5k need an mpg machine - tony g
The focus c max 1.6 diesel would be a very good choice ,I've sold two of them recently ,they sell very quickly ,cheap to insure and tax ,good economy .

Because they sell quickly ,you won't get much of a discount .
Ford, vauxhall - Decisions decisions....5k need an mpg machine - Avant

The C-Max makes sense although I seem to remember that ther was a problem with some TDCis. Can anyone rememnber any moree details?

An alternative woule be a Skoda Octavoia estate - for reliability go for a 1.9 diesel or 1.8 petrol.

Ford, vauxhall - Decisions decisions....5k need an mpg machine - craig-pd130

The Ford 1.6 TDCi motor seems to have an injector problem which causes sooting-up of oilways and wrecking the turbocharger expensively. Lots of threads about this in the technical section here.

An Octavia hatch or estate with the 1.9PD 105bhp engine (pre-DPF) would be a good choice, if you can find one that hasn't been used as a taxi (no offence to Octavia owners, there are several very good reasons why they are popular on taxi ranks).

Ford, vauxhall - Decisions decisions....5k need an mpg machine - lump
I read up on the injector problem and it seems to come from town driving and not much else?

I'm covering 65 miles a day on the motorway.

Update:

Been having a look at a few but not found "the one" yet. I have also had a lot at a couple of meriva's which seem quite smart too. Thanks for info about Skoda's. will check them out.