What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - adverse camber

Can anyone tell me if the 8th gen accord has much more legroom compared to the 7th gen?

All the reviews say that it is wider and thus has more space, but is that just width or is there better space all round.

I'm really interested in how much rear legroom there is. I'm quite tall so tend to have the drivers seat a good way back.

thanks!

Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - thunderbird

How about looking at both and making your mind up based on that. Dimensions can be deceiving at best. In some cars you sit higher and don't need huge amounts of leg room to get comfortable, cars where you sit lower needs loads of leg room.

There is still no substitute for viewing the products and making a decsion based on that even in the days of the interweb.

Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - coopshere
18 months ago I was looking to trade in my late 2003 Accord saloon for a hatch/estate. My preferred option at the time was a new/nearly new Accord Estate. The test drive went well and overall a very comfortable car. At 5'11" like you I have the seat well back but not right to the end of the runners. As I needed rear legroom for adults I tried to get in the seat behind after I got out. I did get in but it was difficult and once sat in the rear seat could not move my legs. I didn't have this problem with the saloon so I can only assume that Honda moved the rear squab forward in the estate to give more load room.

I was disappointed but I bought an Avensis Estate instead and am very pleased with it. The overall finish is not quite as good as Honda but it is certainly as comfortable, quieter and a softer ride and more legroom in the back. Bonus is that Toyota give a 5 year manufacturers warranty and their reputation is superb. It's also a little cheaper than Accord.

Suggest you test both and see what you think.
Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - daveyK_UK

The current Mondeo is great for rear leg room, skoda superb is the best if you must have a saloon/estate.

Rear leg room tends not to be a problem with MPVs

The Peugeot 407/C5 are horrendous for leg room - avoid.

Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - adverse camber

Thank you!

I was hoping for someone with experience of both.

I know someone with an avensis estate so I'll pop round and have a look at theirs.

I know that actually checking cars out is the ideal, but I dont want to waste peoples time if cars are out of the question. I need rear space for kids - they are ok with the 7th gen, but the 8th gen looks to me as if it has gone down the lifestyle route and heading towards a hatchback when I want estate.

The comment about the c5 is also useful as this is also on my list. I like the superb, but they're fairly rare and out of budget.

Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - thunderbird

I know that actually checking cars out is the ideal, but I dont want to waste peoples time if cars are out of the question.

Personally checking cars out is the ONLY way. The only persons time you are wasting is yours and would you not prefer to waste a little time now that regret your decision for many years ahead.

A car a big purchase, spending your time checking and satisfying yourself the car is what you really want/need is the only way. The internet and other forum users cannot do that for you. Get out there and look.

Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - daveyK_UK

Current Mondeo hatchback or estate

The Insignia is not to good and has awful rear headroom if you opt for the hatchback or saloon.

The insigina estate improves both headroom and legroom but its still not as good as the mondeo.

Never tried the hyundai i40 or kia Opima (pretty much same car). Friends who have them rave about them (but then thinking about it - they dont have kids!)

I didnt find the current Avensis to be roomy, I would say it was average.

Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - rfm943

I have an Accord 8th gen Tourer. Great car, superb economy, but.... the one thing that it lacks is legroom. It is not often that I have to transport anyone in the back but if I did I would have thought very seriously about buying it.

thanks

Found out that the 7th gen accord had different wheelbase for the estate version whereas the 8th gen all have the same wheelbase.

8th gen is too small. (incidentally seemed to have less headroom as well).

I'm going to go look at a mondeo this week.

thunderbird - theres no way that I would buy a car without looking at it first, but where I live seems to lack much variety of cars (lots of small cars and SUVs but not much in the way of estate cars). The nearest 8th gen accord estate on autotrader is a 40 minute drive away (local honda dealer doesn't even have one). There's nothing wrong with using other peoples experiences to help narrow (or indeed expand) the field.

Edited by adverse camber on 30/07/2013 at 14:27

Honda Accord Tourer - Interior space in 7th and 8th gen accord? - TeeCee

The Insignia is not to good and has awful rear headroom if you opt for the hatchback or saloon.

Hmm, you should try sitting in the back of an Audi A5. Audi should be done for misrepresentation for sticking four doors on that. It's a 2+2 with ideas above its station.

For sheer stupidity you cannot beat the full-length panoramic roof option on a Skoda Superb estate. This converts a cavernous rear into something with woefully inadequate headroom. Looks nice, but I reckon every one they've sold must be to someone who's never bothered to try sitting in the back of a Superb fitted with one.