What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Estate - Sold a vehicle which has been clocked - MrField

I bought a vehicle three and half years ago which was all in my name and owned by me after a few months the good lady decided that it was to big for her and i advertised it and sold it. The vehicle at the time was just over 2 years old

a few days ago i had a letter from the person i sold it to saying that they had come to sell the car and there was a mileage problem the vehicle had been clocked and wanted me to pay compensation or they were going to take legal action they have been advised by citizens advice that there would be the case against me.

Where do i stand considering that this sale was over 3 years ago and i was not a garage or a trader

any advice appreciated thanks

Ford Mondeo Estate - Sold a vehicle which has been clocked - daveyjp
Caveat emptor. Unless the buyer can prove you deliberately misled them they don't have a leg to stand on.

There are plenty of ways of verifying mileage before purchase, if they can't be bothered doing so thats their look out.
Ford Mondeo Estate - Sold a vehicle which has been clocked - RT

It may be a scam, to get money out of you - but even if it's not a scam they can't touch you if you genuinely didn't know it was clocked.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Sold a vehicle which has been clocked - MrField

thanks guys i really did not know that there was anything untoward with the vehicle in terms of the mileage

Ford Mondeo Estate - Sold a vehicle which has been clocked - martint123

Unless they asked "is the mileage genuine" and you said "yes" then you are ok.

It would be even better if you had a receipt or new MOT when you bought the vehicle with the mileage on.

Ford Mondeo Estate - Sold a vehicle which has been clocked - TeeCee

and i was not a garage or a trader

A piece of information that you have to suspect the buyer has neglected to share with the CAB. Only reason I can think of for their advice being such utter cobblers.