What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo 2006 2.0 tdci - Ford Mondeo Coil / glowpug light flashing - jigsta
Looking for help. My ford mondeo 2.0 tdci 2006 had no power earlier today. A jump start got me running but the coil looking light is now flashing. I drove the car 20 miles and it didn't charge the battery, still completely dead with the exception of dashboard lights which come on. Driving the 20 miles didn't seem to have the same power as I normally would but I was easily able to get to 70mph but with slower acceleration.

Will a new battery fix my issues or is this something more serious?

Car was serviced last month.

Mondeo 2006 2.0 tdci - Ford Mondeo Coil / glowpug light flashing - dafskipman

On my previous Mondeo TDCI, I had a similar issue with the glowplug light flashing plus loss of power. Unfortunately for me an injector had failed which meant a bill of £250 for a new injector fitting. Do you have excessive white smoke from the exhaust?. If so, then i would suggest you get the injectors tested. Also, when an injector fails, the car reverts to "limp-home" mode which manifests itself as the glowplug/coil looking light (as you describe) flashing. This makes the engine difficult to start, much reduced acceleration and performance. If i were you, Id get a diagnostic check done asap. Best of luck.

Thanks for your response.

Would you rule out the battery? The car doesn't even turn over, it's completely dead though ok if jump started.

Thanks
Mondeo 2006 2.0 tdci - Ford Mondeo Coil / glowpug light flashing - dieselnut

You need to check the battery voltage when the engine is running, should be above 13.5 volts. It might me that the alternator has failed & not charging the battery. If the voltage is good but battery is still dead you will need a new battery.

The voltage was 9volts before we got it running not sure what it was once we got it going.
Mondeo 2006 2.0 tdci - Ford Mondeo Coil / glowpug light flashing - Collos25

Its amps not volts that are important in car batteries.