What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford ka 04 standard model - Ford Ka Horn sometimes works, sometimes not - tony8891

Hi,

I am trying to get at the bottom of this problem for quite a while. The horn works sometimes specialy if the steering wheel is turned not when is straight. I suspect the switch. But I need some advise before openning the steering wheel case ( airbag case) where I suspect is the switch. Anybody have any ideas ? Cheers

Ford ka 04 standard model - Ford Ka Horn sometimes works, sometimes not - elekie&a/c doctor

It could be a contact issue in the steering wheel, behind the airbag.However ,if it only works in certain positions,then it could be a fracture in the airbag/horn clockspring coupling .This connects between the wheel and the steering column.Has the car had any recent work on the steering system or rack?hth

Ford ka 04 standard model - Ford Ka Horn sometimes works, sometimes not - tony8891

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Had " the insurance box" fitted just after the fault appeared, so I rulled that out. Quite a bit of grinding noise for a while when steering but that's gone now

Is is safe to open the airbag case to have a look at the switches? I suspect some wires in the steering wheel as well, but don't which is which.

Cheers

Ford ka 04 standard model - Ford Ka Horn sometimes works, sometimes not - elekie&a/c doctor

It is not possible to open the airbag case.Access to the contacts and wiring requires removal of the airbag.If you are not familiar with airbag systems,leave it to an expert.hth