What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Ford Fiesta bleed nipple - argybargy

Hi all

Just done the front discs and pads on my son's 59 plate Ford Fiesta. In the past when I've changed pads and discs I've always released the cap on the fluid reservoir to let the pressure go when I push in the piston to accommodate the new pads. On this occasion, with it being a newish car I found that I was able to open the caliper bleed nipple instead.

Trouble is that I think I might have overtightened one of the nipples when I closed it. I can't see any sign of a leak after driving the car for about two or three miles, but could overtightening a nipple result in any damage? I've told my son to keep an eye on the brake fluid level, but knowing his attitude to cars I don't think he'll bother, so I'm thinking that if there's a likelihood that I HAVE caused any damage I ought to change the caliper; unless of course its possible to replace the nipple on its own. Hopefully I'm worrying unnecessarily.

Thanks

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Ford Fiesta bleed nipple - Collos25

You should not have caused any damage,but also its the wrong was to change pads and discs you should not undo the bleed nipple .

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Ford Fiesta bleed nipple - Peter D

I disagree. The reason to open the bleed nipples is to expel the displaced fluid and not force old fluid back into the system and particularly if you have an ABS pump. It also exercises the nipples so that you avoid seizures. Regards Peter

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Ford Fiesta bleed nipple - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I've read - somewhere - that forcing the fluid back on the Fiesta can result in a master-cylinder seal being turned back so that a new master-cylinder has to be fitted, so I've always replaced the pads on my Fiesta by loosening the bleed nipple and, leaving the worn pad clipped to the piston, pushing the piston back. If my plastic pipe on the nipple comes loose and I get fluid on my fingers, then it's the worn pad that will get it and not a new one! Always works for me.

Ta for the replies.

Just for clarification, the Haynes manual does advise bleeding the system via the caliper nipple when changing pads.

I haven't changed that many sets of pads/discs over the years--perhaps a dozen or so altogether--but on every previous occasion I've released the pressure by taking the cap off the master cylinder reservoir. The Haynes specifically warns against this method due to the danger of reversing seals.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Ford Fiesta bleed nipple - freman

I would think the most likely damage would be the thread stripped in the caliper which could result in the nipple being displaced on heavy braking.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Ford Fiesta bleed nipple - scotmech5

Am retired now and in the 27 years I had my garage business

I never heard of or had master cylinder seals reversing.

I would say if the seals were soft enough to reverse the master cylinder was due to be replaced.

It is a good time to change the brake fluid at the same time as the brake pads.

Brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs moisture from the atmosphere).

If you use the bleed nipple you are likely to pull the moisture contaminated fluid from the master cylinder reservoir, as the reservoir is open to the atmosphere.

I always asked the customer if I would change the brake fluid at the same time as changing the pads, if they did not want this I would just push the Caliper pistons back using a G clamp.

If you have damaged the bleed screw threads you will feel the pressure easing off as you finally tighten the screw.

Edited by scotmech5 on 31/03/2013 at 13:30

Thanks, scotmech: interesting theory regarding the moisture-contaminated brake fluid being drawn from the master cylinder if you use the nipple. Sounds logical, so I wonder why Haynes don't point that out?

I certainly didn't notice the pressure easing off on the screw. In fact it was so tight I could hardly turn it, and the tightness eventually alerted me to my mistake. So I suppose I haven't done any damage.

Whilst on the topic, does anyone know where I can get replacement copper washers for brake hose/ caliper connections?

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Ford Fiesta bleed nipple - Peter D

I always syphon the fluid out of the header tank and replace it with new clean fluid, then open the bleed nipple and gentley press or screw the piston back. After fitting the new pads I bleed 200 ml or so of fluid through each brake line so effectively changing the fluid. Scotmech is quite right the header tank can have contaminated fluid in it. Regards Peter

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Ford Fiesta bleed nipple - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Whilst on the topic, does anyone know where I can get replacement copper washers for brake hose/ caliper connections?

A few months ago, Aldi were selling a set of copper washers in a small plastic case for just a couple of quid, and there were some in there that fit my sump plug, so a set like that is worth keeping in the tool kit. Trouble with Aldi is that they get different stuff in each week and if you miss it... it's gone! Try e-Bay for a set like that.