What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford focus/mondeo Volkswagen passat/polo - Advice on what to buy - unsure

Hi, I wondered if anyone could give me advice on what to buy with my very limited budget as I am struggling with the advice from friends coming left right and centre!

Suggestions so far have been ford or volkswagen, I ideally need an estate or large hatchback. My funds are £2000 but that includes any repairs needed and tax for the vehicle. I am self employed so the car will be a few short visits during the day, 20/30 minute trips a few times a week.

I really am at a loss. Do I go for a newer car with higher mileage, or an older car with less mileage? I know with this limited budget I am taking a risk which is a worry. My car I have now is running on borrowed time and only has until the end of the month before the MOT is due which I would rather not fork out for as I will be selling it on for spairs/repairs or scrapping it.

Any advice appreciated.

Ford focus/mondeo Volkswagen passat/polo - Advice on what to buy - craig-pd130

For a given budget, a Mondeo-sized car is likely to be newer and lower-mileage than a similarly-priced Focus-sized car. Big, older used cars are generally not as desirable as small or medium-sized hatches.

At around £2000 you just have to view every car on its merits. I would suggest that a mark 3 Mondeo petrol hatch or estate is your best bet. Tax will not be cheap but the petrol models are strong, reliable and roomy.

Ford focus/mondeo Volkswagen passat/polo - Advice on what to buy - unsure

Thanks for your time, I will take your advice on board :) Tax for my current car is not cheap so it's not a huge issue. I am just hoping to get something that will last around 2 to 3 years without huge repair bills.

Ford focus/mondeo Volkswagen passat/polo - Advice on what to buy - Bobbin Threadbare

Craig is spot on. With that journey pattern, you're best off with petrol and Ford parts are reasonable if you need to buy any. I should also add, look for a Mazda 6 as well; the 6 and the Mondeo were built to the same platform pre-2007 and they generally come in at bargainous prices.

Ford focus/mondeo Volkswagen passat/polo - Advice on what to buy - Alby Back

Another vote for a well kept Mondeo. Chain cam engines so no belts to fret over. Cheap parts if needed. Nice to drive. Handle really well. Very comfortable. Loads available too. Very practical hatches and cavernous estates. Avoid 6 cylinder petrols as they are thirsty but the petrol 1.8s are frugal, if a little sluggish and the 2.0s are quick enough and ok on fuel. Don't dismiss the diesels though if they have a good service history. There's a lot of tooth sucking about dmf reliability but I've run three TDCis to starship miles without problems. They will though cost a bit more to buy than the petrol variants. If you won't do big miles a petrol might be best.