What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Mk3 - Front passenger door replacement. - Tomc1958

Dented my front passenger door today, approx cost for repair £200. Cheaper to buy a secondhand replacement. Can anyone advise how easy it is to remove and replace?

Many thanks

Ford Mondeo Mk3 - Front passenger door replacement. - elekie&a/c doctor

If you are replacing the complete door with all its internal fixtures and fittings,then it is a very straightforward job.Open the door,disconnect the wiring multiplug by turning the plastic locking rings. locate the 2 hinge pins and remove the 2 circlips .Then knock out the pins .The door will then detach from the pillar.Doors are heavy.Make sure there is adequate support before you take the pins out.hth

Ford Mondeo Mk3 - Front passenger door replacement. - Peter D

I assume you are going to try and get a door that is the same-ish colour. Regards Peter

Ford Mondeo Mk3 - Front passenger door replacement. - madf

As production ceased in 200, you are driving a 13 year old car - at its youngest.

Why spend money on it? After all, even a second hand door is worth more than the entire car...:-)

I think you will find the mk 3 model finished in 2007.

Hi all, many thanks for the replies especially to elekie&a/c doctor. Great advice I thought I was going to have to unbolt all the hinge brackets and was worried about taking the last two bolts out and twisting something if I didn't get the door sufficiently braced. Having looked I can see the clips and pins. Clips look really easy to remove, already tried the electrics connector and thats a cinch.

Second hand door is £90 and comes complete apart from the mirror... still have the one on the original door and from what I've read it's relatively easy to remove and put on the replacement.

Car is "only" 9 years old and black... the replacement is black and hopefully the same colour code but to me black is black.... better than a big gouge down into bare metal!

Anyone any idea what size the torx bolt is for the door retainer.... the bar that stops the door flying full open? I don't know what the technical name is! I don't want to use the wrong size torx bit and ruin the head on the one I need to undo.

To recoup some of the costs I can put the spare window and electric mechanism and internal door card on ebay.... If I can be faffed with packaging and couriers.

Thanks again, Tom

Check strap/retainer bolt is a torx 40.

Ford Mondeo Mk3 - Front passenger door replacement. - TeeCee

ruin the head on the one I need to undo.

When it comes to the likes of big bolts on doors, I tend to reach for the impact driver immediately. I find that gets 'em off far better than reaching for it after trying, failing and chewing the head of the bolt does.

Thanks again for the replies. Need to buy a torx 40, checked B&Q the largest they do is 30 so I'm off to ebay, probs cheaper than trying halfords and I don't need a complete set. Thanks for advice re the impact driver. Years since I've seen mine and wonder whether I still have it at the bottom of the tool box! If not I'll give a bit of a spray with WD 40 a couple of days beforehand and hope it works it's way 'round the thread. Why don't they just put a bolt on these things? Mystifies me!

Tom

Don,t use an impact driver on torx bolts.If it rides out without undoing the screw it will wreck the head and you will be in more trouble.Get a good quality socket,clean out the recess in the head ,and make sure the socket sits square in the head before turning.hth

Thanks again elekie&a/c. Just ordered the bit and then checked here to see if there were any other replies. When I ordered the bit it said about using a socket..... so many thanks again. I'm pleased I signed up to this site!

Hi again all, door is now put on the car. Unfortunately it drops slightly and when closing the top catches the rear door. I'm going to have a go at the weekend to see if there's any movement in the bolts to raise it. The other thing is the window mechanisim doesn't work (I guess the cable's snapped) so I've removed the one from the old door. Anyone got ideas whether I can just plonk in situ on the replacement door and does the round cable winder need to be in a particular position??

It was easy enough to remove from the old door so I'm hoping putting it on the other will also be easy...., just checking whether I need to do anything special.

Many thanks again, Tom