125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - different-grab2481

I'm looking for some advice from those with more experience - I'm struggling to decide between two motors. One has 2 stamps vs 10.

The 2016 has inbuilt GPS, lane assist, adaptive cruise control, tyre sensor, parking sensors, auto mirrors and wipers etc. but 25k extra miles and less service history.

The 2015 is last gen model, lacks those extras, but full service history. Has a minor scratch/blemish on the rear.

Both are online deliveries with negotiated discounts/delivery included.

2016 is £400 more expensive, seems to have a perfect body vs a small blemish on the 2015. Both cars are under 4k.

2016 has a smaller engine, but given the use case (<15 min commute, mostly down an A road, weekend trips away and some country driving) that is fine.

Car will be used for a lapsed driver (~5 years since having driven, and a new driver - still learning - will be dropped off to work until they are confident driving).

I'm leaning towards the newer model, smaller engine for the extra features, but unsure how 25k miles and partial SH will affect value.

Thoughts?

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - bathtub tom

Both are online deliveries with negotiated discounts/delivery included.

I suggest you don't consider either without viewing/test driving them first.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - Palcouk

You dont say what the car is, as such any response is a stab in the dark

Astra J vs Astra K

Thought there might be a general rule of thumb and wanted to try it and keep it more general.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - catsdad

Whether to go for an older or newer version varies across cars. The Astra went through various changes in its long life. Sometimes these were cosmetic but the K car was a very different car to the J, not just a mild makeover.
They also had a variety of engines (petrol and diesel) some belt, some chain cam, Also some were turbo, others not. And there are manual and auto variants.
Without knowing which engine and transmission each car has its hard to comment. However what would concern me is the partial service history. Some Vauxhalls have 20k service intervals which in itself isn’t ideal. So even a “full” service history without oil changes every 10k/year would put me off. Especially if it’s a chain cam engine.
So how partial is the service history and which engines/transmissions are these cars? As already suggested if you do want to proceed with either car a test drive is essential before committing. You can’t buy an 8/9 year old car based solely on a seller’s own condition report.

Edited by catsdad on 31/08/2024 at 02:09

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - Falkirk Bairn

Buying 8/9 year cars with 6 figure mileages without seeing and driving them is silly.

Whether it has electronic goodies or not is really unimportant

Reliability of the make/model, Service history, MoT history, etc etc trumps gizmos

Better looking locally.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - badbusdriver

Curiously vague opening post from the OP, I mean how exactly are we to advise without knowing which cars they are looking at?. Even now we've been told Astra's, there is still no mention of which two engines are involved?

But we can probably take a stab that the younger car is the 1.0 turbo and the older car is the n/a 1.6?.

Thing is, the 1.0 turbo does have a reputation for being troublesome, though I haven't personally looked into it to find out what issues are involved or how widespread. I was under the impression the 1.4 was fairly reliable, but some comments on the forum suggest it may have issues too, though perhaps not as much as the 1.0. That leaves the n/a 1.6 which seems to be absolutely fine reliability wise though obviously age and neglect can turn a reliable car into a liability.

So I'd completely agree that buying cars of this age and mileage online and unseen is really not wise at all.

If you say where you are and what your budget is, I'd be happy to have a wee look on Autotrader for something suitable in your area.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - Chris M

"Thing is, the 1.0 turbo does have a reputation for being troublesome, though I haven't personally looked into it to find out what issues are involved or how widespread. I was under the impression the 1.4 was fairly reliable, but some comments on the forum suggest it may have issues too, though perhaps not as much as the 1.0."

I'd suggest the OP looks on an Astra specific forum to check if the above is based on any real life experience or just regurgitated hearsay.

1.6 CDTi BlueInjection SRi Nav vs 2.0 CDTi ecoFLEX SRi.

Both places are 4.5+ stars on car sites/google with 100s of good reviews, and I figured I'd be covered by distance selling/consumer rights act if things go wrong.

Also, I've seen a 2.0 CDTi ecoFLEX SRi, '14 plate, 110k miles on it that I can see and drive locally, again partial SH. That is actually £1.5k or so cheaper, so slightly leaning towards this for use case of getting back into driving/ while my partner learns and then spending more on a car in future.

I live elsewhere, but back near Watford this weekend to move a few remaining belongings (also why I need a car asap)

Edited by different-grab2481 on 31/08/2024 at 10:21

Both places are 4.5+ stars on car sites/google with 100s of good reviews, and I figured I'd be covered by distance selling/consumer rights act if things go wrong.

Also, I've seen a 2.0 CDTi ecoFLEX SRi, '14 plate, 110k miles on it that I can see and drive locally, again partial SH. That is actually £1.5k or so cheaper, so slightly leaning towards this for use case of getting back into driving/ while my partner learns and then spending more on a car in future.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - Andrew-T

In addition to the many points above, at the price point you have mentioned, any cash savings will be negligible compared to the cost of fixing any problems you might find !

Have you checked each car's MoT history ? I would go for a complete service history, if only as a reselling plus.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - catsdad

Relying on distance selling and consumer rights is a last resort. These can be time consuming processes and not instant. In any case, even if the dealer is good, most faults will require you to return the car to them for free attention. Unless you want to pay someone else to repair. So it’s better to buy locally if you can.

Maybe I’ve been unlucky but the last three approved used cars I’ve bought from main dealers have required several trips each back to the dealer to rectify faults. These are cars that were 1-3 years old and low mileage and costing £12k upwards. Unfortunately the chances of a fault on an 8/9 year car are higher and you might want to factor in the inconvenience of buying from distance in the event of subsequent problems.

Edited by catsdad on 31/08/2024 at 11:17

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - badbusdriver

<15 min commute, mostly down an A road, weekend trips away and some country driving

Doesn't sound like you do anything like the miles to warrant considering a diesel.

Most diesels are not really going to be a wise choice because of the potential for DPF problems if the car is or has been used for mainly short journeys. So even if you do the kind of miles where diesel makes financial sense (at least 12k per annum), you don't know how previous owners have used the car. And so you may be buying yourself in to a lot of imminent financial pain because a clogged DPF wont be covered by any warranty (this is even the case on new cars unless manufacturing fault). Diesels also cost more in servicing, and even setting aside DPF issues, parts will be more expensive than a petrol engine. When on a tight budget, it is all too easy to mistakenly focus exclusively on fuel economy when thinking of the running costs. But unless you are doing big miles, the overall running costs of a diesel (particularly one getting a bit older) is very rarely going to be lower than a simple n/a petrol.

Between those two?, in all honesty I wouldn't touch either, regardless of how close the seller is.

You have not given the prices of these cars or your budget, but a look on Autotrader suggests an average of £2.5-5k for a diesel Astra like either of these. Working on a budget like that, there are much better choices of petrol engined cars more likely to be reliable and more likely to have cheaper overall running costs, starting with the Astra 1.6. But also a Focus 1.6, a Toyota Auris 1.33/1.6, Honda Civic 1.4/1.8, Hyundai i30 1.4/1.6, Kia Ceed 1.4/1.6.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - Andrew-T

<< You have not given the prices of these cars or your budget, >>

BBD, the OP says "both cars under £4k" ... So I said any savings might be negligible.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - 72 dudes

Old diesel Astras with high mileage and under £4000. As others have said, a potential recipe for disaster.

In my area (East Anglia), £4k is well and truly banger territory. I've seen 12/14 year old Polos and Golfs for approaching £10k round here, albeit petrols with sensible mileage.

Far better to buy a normally aspirated petrol car locally, especially given your proposed annual mileage.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - Terry W

You may also like to check whether as older diesels they are London emissions zone compliant. Br aware that other cities may implement similar legislation even if London is irrelevant to you.

125k '16, this gen, pSH vs 95k, FSH, last gen '15 - madf

Buying a high mileage Diesel which is 8-9 years old is very brave. One without full service history is madness.

I hope you have £2k cash to resolve and faults when things go wrong: as they will.

How many miles a year? If under 9k then you WILL have problems.. diesels are best o motorways.

You should be looking at petrol cars.