What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Open to ideas - Older'ndust

Having passed my driving test 590 years ago and always buying diesel cars since I was 26 due to towing various caravans, I now realise that I need a completely new education about newer cars.

My last car purchase was early 2016 which was a Honda civic, as this is the car that came out best on here for MPG at the time (except for electric cars) which I could not afford and was far too ‘new technology’ for me to want to deal with.

Having spent a couple of days on here and a few other websites, I’ve now come to the conclusion that we may be better off selling the caravan and getting a non diesel car

Reading some of the things about hybrid cars, I realise I have absolutely no idea what these things mean in real life.

Our budget is around £8K, my husband is 6’1” tall and neither of us likes something with a firm ride.

Would people feel able to offer me some potential makes and models that I may be able to consider that give a reasonably to good return for miles per gallon?

It will still need to be able to pull a trailer for camping, as we already have the gear, but will need to get a second tent if hubby and I join our daughter in a tent instead of a caravan.

Many thanks in hopeful anticipation of learning more about then newer types of cars around nowadays.

Open to ideas - Adampr

Lots of suggestions will be forthcoming shortly. However, I thought I'd ask if you'd considered a trailer tent / pop up camper instead of a caravan. We have a Dandy Dart which, at 350kg, can be towed by pretty much anything that is rated to tow. Much cheaper and less hassle than a caravan, but a lot more comfortable than a tent.

Open to ideas - pd

I don't think you'll get much of a choice on hybrids for £8k which can do what you want.

In that price range most of what you'll be looking at will probably still be diesels. Is there a particular reason you don't want another diesel? To be honest they still do the towing job very well.

Open to ideas - gordonbennet

Older Diesels were good buys, but the newer you get now the more complication has been added, DPFs EGRs and now adblu injection into the exhaust with euro 6.

Toyota hybrids are probably the most reliable and well proven of all, every taxi driver and his dog can't be wrong, but as said there's very little in your budget, the most obvious would be a Toyota Auris but it will be ageing and probably very high mileage, on the other hand find an Auris (estate or hatch) with the 1.2 turbo petrol engine and it will return close to Diesel fuel figures...the other issue with hybrid Auris is how nickable the CAT is, its said that insurance is expensive for that particular model for that reason alone.

An Avensis 1.8 petrol would probably tow your caravan OK, surprisingly good on fuel too.

So long as avoid the very top spec most Toyotas come on sensible size tyres which as well as being well priced give a decent ride.

Open to ideas - Terry W

The critical element may be "do you really want to sell the caravan". If it is something that gives you pleasure it may be daft to deny yourself. Tents and floor level living becomes less attractive with advancing years.

MPG is only important if you do a high mileage or select a completely uneconomical car.

Example 10,000 miles per annum at 40 mpg = 250 gallons. At 50 mpg - 200 gallons. Cost difference at £6 per gallon = £300pa. This may be small compared to other equally important issues - reliability, servicing costs, insurance costs etc.

I am assuming the current car is fairly old - with an £8k budget a car of a size fit for towing (eg? Focus, Astra, Qashqai, etc) is likely to be 6-8 years old. Newer tech - hybrids etc - will have limited impact at that age. The weight of the caravan may be the key element to consider.

Edited by Terry W on 21/08/2024 at 18:31

Thanks all for your responses. The short answer is no, I don't really want to move on from Diesel. Had a 13 reg Mondeo to tow the caravan (but written it of from accident on 5th). Also have a Honda civic which returns 54 mpg driving into Birmingham to work 5 days a week and various trips around home (short 2 mile hops a lot to daughters and shopping etc), plus a motorway drive of up to 30 miles to my friends at least once a month.

Bought the Honda at 3 years old with about 50K on the clock. Fantastic car, rear reverse camera, etc. Had towbar put on to tow trailer when we went away with caravan, so daughter and friends could use tent.

From various responses above, I really do think I am going to continue to go with diesel. Honda does good mileage, so can live with higher fuel costs for the right car.

Now you know a little more about me and what I am now thinking, I would be very grateful for any more thoughts/recommendations come to mind.

Sorry, have no idea what you mean about the below except adblu, which I looked up yesterday. Can anyone clarify others for me please?

DPFs EGRs and now adblu injection into the exhaust with euro 6.

Open to ideas - DavidGlos
It’s all ancillary equipment which reduces emissions (particulates and NOx) in the main, to make newer diesels cleaner. All fine whilst it’s working, but prone to expensive failures as the car ages and problems are exacerbated by frequent short trips, where the car doesn’t get up to normal operating temperature and maintain that for a prolonged period.

Petrol engines are starting to adopt some similar tech now, but not to the same extent and for various reasons, it tends to be more reliable on petrol vehicles.
Open to ideas - Andrew-T

DPFs EGRs and now adblu injection into the exhaust with euro 6.

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter ; EGR = Exhaust-Gas Recirculation. DPFs became standard fittings on most European diesel cars from about 2006 onwards.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/08/2024 at 23:19

Open to ideas - badbusdriver

As it happens, out of modern diesels, the Honda 1.6 seems to suffer least from being used on shorter journeys. Given you already have one of those, i'm at a loss as to why you want something else?

Open to ideas - Big John

My opinion, towing a caravan + carry tent and gubbins + tall driver = Skoda Superb 2.0 diesel.

Edited by Big John on 21/08/2024 at 22:42