What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Qashqai - Used Car Warranty. Three months use depreciation ? - Joyfuljay

Advice please.

Purchased 2016 Qashqai Auto from a reputable dealer mid October 2023. One lady owner very low mileage 26,000 so high price £14,999 as autos quite rare.

At just about three months January 2024 gearbox gave up. Driven around 4,500 miles.

Dealer took it back to repair and gave a loan car. Gearbox replaced, still problems, went back to different garage, still a problem. Finally dealer has given up with repair. Still have loan car. Dealer is offering replacement vehicle from stock or cash back.

However cash back he is saying used car prices have dropped and so is offering £10,000 considering the market value and my three months usage before it broke.

I understand that up to six months refund is statutory less an element of depreciation for usage. As I had three months use, what would be considered fair discount from the original £14,999 purchase price. I was thinking £1,000, not the £5,000 he is suggesting. As he says used car values dropped considerably from October 2023 to January 2024.

Any ideas?

Edited by Joyfuljay on 10/06/2024 at 17:26

Nissan Qashqai - Used Car Warranty. Three months use depreciation ? - FP

I would not have thought that any depreciation in used car prices is legally relevant and it seems to me the dealer is trying to pull a fast one.

Maybe someone with recent experience and/or knowledge of consumer law will be able to confirm.

P.S. Mods: would this thread be better off in the Legal section?

Edited by FP on 10/06/2024 at 17:41

Nissan Qashqai - Used Car Warranty. Three months use depreciation ? - Andrew-T

Dealer had the benefit of your 15 grand, so later drop in prices is not a consideration, tho clearly you have had significant use of the car, which is worth something - but hot £5K !

Nissan Qashqai - Used Car Warranty. Three months use depreciation ? - Adampr

Judging by Autotrader, your car would be on sale at about £12k now, so I would take £12k cash or a car they have in stock at £12-13k.

Judging by Autotrader, your car would be on sale at about £12k now, so I would take £12k cash or a car they have in stock at £12-13k.

That's £3k off the purchase price. So £1k per month depreciation. Seems a bit steep. At that rate at the end of the year the residual value would be just £3k which is not fair.

Surely there must be some form of legal calculation in circumstances like this for the three months of use?

Nissan Qashqai - Used Car Warranty. Three months use depreciation ? - Terry W

I think Adam may be right. If £12-13k would enable replacement with a car of similar age and condition, a £12k offer would be a reasonable adjustment for 3 months use and some miles.

Their £10k initial offer is a bit of a try on - you could use Autotrader ads to justify a higher claim and see if they move.

I also believe a full refund is due up to 30 days - thereafter it is repair of replacement.

Dealer offer now up to 12k. That is still equivalent to 1k per month depreciation. Hoping to get up to 13k.

Only other consideration is that have had use of their loan car now for five months with only fuel costs.

Nissan Qashqai - Used Car Warranty. Three months use depreciation ? - Brit_in_Germany

You could offer the tax office approved rate of 45 p/mile less the fuel rate of 17 p/mile for petrol (16 for diesel), giving 29 p/mile which is £1305. Even that is too high because it includes your insurance costs.

Dealer offer now up to 12k. That is still equivalent to 1k per month depreciation. Hoping to get up to 13k.

Only other consideration is that have had use of their loan car now for five months with only fuel costs.

I think you're overthinking this. If the dealer is offering you enough money to go and buy an equivalent car, it's a fair offer. There's no need to look at other factors. If they're a Nissan dealer, they may even agree to source you a replacement.

Nissan Qashqai - Used Car Warranty. Three months use depreciation ? - 72 dudes

I agree with Adampr. Take the offer as soon as possible before they add on a charge for the loan car.

It's well known that a car is worth thousands less as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

Nissan Qashqai - Used Car Warranty. Three months use depreciation ? - daveyjp

Take the £12k and avoid Nissan CVT autos.

Looks like the Nissan auto not the most reliable.

Dealer has now offered 2020 Seat Arona FR auto petrol with 46,000 miles. Looked it up and at that mileage probably around worth arounf 10 to 11k.

I did read that the Seat has a VW engine (and I presume gearbox). So hopefully more relaiable than the Nissan box?

Looks like the Nissan auto not the most reliable.

Dealer has now offered 2020 Seat Arona FR auto petrol with 46,000 miles. Looked it up and at that mileage probably around worth arounf 10 to 11k.

I did read that the Seat has a VW engine (and I presume gearbox). So hopefully more relaiable than the Nissan box?

Do you want an auto? The Seat will use the VW DSG gearbox, which is excellent in many ways but can be fragile if a previous owner has abused it.

If it has to be auto, Japanese manufacturers (with the exception of Nissan) tend to use the more reliable type.

An Arona is quite a bit smaller than a Qashqai too.