Luxury MPV trend - daveyK_UK
A director at a company we use was telling me they have ordered a new Lexus LM 7 seater luxury MPV to ferry staff about as a pool car; this is in addition to a Maxus Mifa 9 they have ordered.

Apparently they had to be quick with the Lexus order despite it costing £87k!

Volvo are also bringing out a luxury MPV.

I take it the luxury MPV market is lucrative for manufacturers?
Luxury MPV trend - edlithgow

Does seem quite a lot for a van

Luxury MPV trend - RT
A director at a company we use was telling me they have ordered a new Lexus LM 7 seater luxury MPV to ferry staff about as a pool car; this is in addition to a Maxus Mifa 9 they have ordered. Apparently they had to be quick with the Lexus order despite it costing £87k! Volvo are also bringing out a luxury MPV. I take it the luxury MPV market is lucrative for manufacturers?

Mercedes-Benz have been making luxury versions of their vans for some time.

Luxury MPV trend - movilogo

MPVs were once mainstream but then out of fashion because manufacturers saw more profit on SUVs.

Now they realized they can get more profit from vans disguising as MPVs so they bringing back luxury vans as MPVs.

Luxury MPV trend - badbusdriver
A director at a company we use was telling me they have ordered a new Lexus LM 7 seater luxury MPV to ferry staff about as a pool car; this is in addition to a Maxus Mifa 9 they have ordered. Apparently they had to be quick with the Lexus order despite it costing £87k! Volvo are also bringing out a luxury MPV. I take it the luxury MPV market is lucrative for manufacturers?

Mercedes-Benz have been making luxury versions of their vans for some time.

Well that is the thing isn't it, so it isn't really a trend.

There has been highly luxurious versions of some JDM MPV's for many years now. The only difference here is that the Lexus (which is a Toyota Alphard/Vellfire in disguise) is being sold in the UK.

Whether or not the Volvo goes on sale in the UK too has yet to be decided. Personally I think it unlikely, just as I think it unlikely the Lexus will sell many of them. But, as was mentioned the last time the Lexus LM popped up in a thread, JDM versions are already RHD, so very little cost and risk for Lexus to bring them here (though the same can be said for the Volvo if it is going to be sold in a RHD market).

The Lexus LM is not based on a van, its a new stand alone model
The Lexus LM is not based on a van, its a new stand alone model

The LM is not a stand alone model, it uses the platform, running gear and most of the structure from the (Toyota) Alphard/Vellfire.

And while it/they may not be based on a van, most people (who care) will assume they are, because of the boxy slab-sided shape!.

Luxury MPV trend - Ian_SW

I can't believe there is much market for them, other than as airport shuttles for expensive hotels and the airlines which do the door to door business class service.

The only other people who might buy them are those who have looked at the BMW range and decided the huge hideous front grilles on the latest 7 series or X5 isn't big or hideous enough.....

Rich large families would be my guess

The beauty of an MPV over an X5 or X7 for a family or business is the practicality

Rich large families would be my guess The beauty of an MPV over an X5 or X7 for a family or business is the practicality

I think it doubtful that many rich large families would choose an MPV over an SUV, regardless of any benefits in practicality. Image is more important to them than most!.

They may use in one belonging to an executive taxi service taking them to/from the airport though ;-)