What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford focus automatic 2011 - selling car on behalf of disabled person - rhodi

Myself and wife provide carers support to elderly person now largely disabled and wishes to sell car. A few queries arise:

A. She/we cannot find reg cert/log book. De we need to apply for replacement before sale? Can I sell without cert?

B. Wish to sell to Garage/we buy any car or similar not private. Have bought/sold at Auction many years ago. Worth considering?

C. Personalised number plate - sell separate or might wbac or garage buy? Should I state number plate on forum if it helps?

D. Mileage 31,000. Last 3 years 200 - 300 miles per year. Full MOT with service book. No full service last 2 years.

E. Should I obtain letter from owner stating we are acting on her behalf? Payment will need to go direct to her bank account. She is 84 Im little younger but neither Senile, apparently!

F. Bodywork/interior VGC

G. Never done anything like this before and ANY advice or alternative totally appreciated.

Many thanks John

ford focus automatic 2011 - selling car on behalf of disabled person - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly, I would apply for a replacement log book before you do anything else . No private buyer is going to buy a car without it . If you’re not bothered about the plate , leave it on the car , or put it on a retention certificate (£80) . Get a price from wbac and go from there .
ford focus automatic 2011 - selling car on behalf of disabled person - RichardW

Autos are in demand, it should sell easily.

Whereabouts are you? Get a new V5, then approach a few small local car dealers - in good condition they should bite your hand off.

ford focus automatic 2011 - selling car on behalf of disabled person - rhodi

Thanks for both replies. car near Harrogate North Yorkshire

ford focus automatic 2011 - selling car on behalf of disabled person - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes , autos are in demand, but not if it’s the power shift gearbox type . Most dealers would shy away from buying.
ford focus automatic 2011 - selling car on behalf of disabled person - SLO76
You’ll need the V5, but rather than WBAC I’d call small local dealers and see if they’re interested. If I was local I’d bid on it myself, assuming it’s a late model Mk II, I’d have that sold within a week if priced right. WBAC won’t be interested due to its age and will offer peanuts for it.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/07/2023 at 14:45