What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Well that's a first - Crickleymal

Driving down the M5 today there was an incident with a car facing the wrong way on the hard shoulder, all three emergency services in attendance. The warning signs were on no more than a mile before and the End sign only half a mile afterwards. I think in 40 years of motoring this is the only time I've ever seen the warning signs used properly. Normally you get a warning 5 miles beforehand and often the incidents have gone before you get there.

Edited by Crickleymal on 09/06/2023 at 11:46

Well that's a first - sammy1

Yes must be a first. Wherever you go on our Mways you see the signs left on for no reason. No wonder most drivers ignore them until they see the hazard themselves. On smart Mways can be particularly dangerous. You see drivers ignoring the "red X" but I suspect a lot don't know its meaning.

Well that's a first - Terry W

Aesop many centuries ago wrote the fable "The Boy who cried Wolf" - hence the phrase "cry wolf". About a shepherd boy who cried wolf so often that when there really was wolf no one from the village came to help.

The Department of Transport (all 18000 of them) clearly haven't picked up on this. It is a complete waste of money spending millions on motorway warning and information signs if they are wrong. An equal waste of money when they inform the motorist of the blindingly obvious - eg: its raining, its snowing.

A survey of motorists to understand how many take the messages seriously and react accordingly, note them and pay a little more attention, or simply assume they are wrong would be interesting. I probably fall in the middle category!

Well that's a first - Andrew-T

Aesop many centuries ago wrote the fable "The Boy who cried Wolf" - hence the phrase "cry wolf". About a shepherd boy who cried wolf so often that when there really was wolf no one from the village believed him.

That's exactly what happened to car alarms - and house alarms too, come to that. So many were going off for no important reason.