What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any, from The Guardian - Car Buying, Expert tips - _

www.theguardian.com/money/2023/jun/03/uk-car-buyin...y

Includes David Ross, Our very own Editor..

Any, from The Guardian - Car Buying, Expert tips - sammy1

Do any car buyers take any notice of these so called experts. Take the case of the family with 2 kids aged 7 and 10 advised on a Yaris. A bit small to start with but in a short while 2 gangly kids and a car way too small. Everything about motoring journalists is too general and all they serve to do is fill space. I read a recent report on the new 5 series and the main focus headline was "first digital games console" whatever that is. Sold to the dad with £50k plus and 2 kids who never look out of the cars windows or have a conversation with their parents

Any, from The Guardian - Car Buying, Expert tips - Adampr

Do any car buyers take any notice of these so called experts. Take the case of the family with 2 kids aged 7 and 10 advised on a Yaris. A bit small to start with but in a short while 2 gangly kids and a car way too small. Everything about motoring journalists is too general and all they serve to do is fill space. I read a recent report on the new 5 series and the main focus headline was "first digital games console" whatever that is. Sold to the dad with £50k plus and 2 kids who never look out of the cars windows or have a conversation with their parents

The Yaris is recommended for a couple, not a family.

Any, from The Guardian - Car Buying, Expert tips - bazza

I thought they were on the whole useful suggestions apart from the Autocar chappy recommending the default German performance stuff. Typical I suppose! Great to see the Avensis on the list, although finding a good one might be tricky. Also the Octavia, a great car still but spoilt by the awful "infotainment" and poor controls, otherwise I'd have had one.

Any, from The Guardian - Car Buying, Expert tips - Adampr

There's a bloke in the comments who's got a 2l Peugeot 206 that does 60mpg. Presumably his dad is Superman too.

Any, from The Guardian - Car Buying, Expert tips - SLO76
Didn’t agree with this “ For an £8,000 spend, Ross says our couple should look no further than a Ford Fiesta. Go for one with the 1.0 EcoBoost engine, which he says is a real gem.” I wouldn’t recommend an Ecoboom Ford to anyone shopping for a used car.

But it was nice to see two of the “experts” recommending my choice of transport, a Toyota Avensis 1.8 Estate. Maybe they know their stuff after all.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/06/2023 at 13:47

Any, from The Guardian - Car Buying, Expert tips - bazza

Yes, there's a nasty surprise waiting for 1.0 Ecoboost owners on its 9th birthday, a wet cambelt change costing well over £1k and probably a lot more. My mother has one that's 8 years old but very low mileage, has been perfect from new. Wondering whether she should have it done, or risk it.