What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Gadgets we rarely use... - Bilboman

In the 7 years I've had my current car I haven't used the front fog lights once. As my car has wide, flat dipped beams (in common with many modern cars!) they serve no purpose at all: When I occasionally flick them on and off on a quiet road, I can hardly see any improvement in the front lighting, although they may provide a tad of early warning for any myopic racc***s in the area.
I've only used the horn once or twice in all this time. (Fellow Toyota Auris drivers will understand why.)
Rear seat passengers never seem interested in the central armrest. Perhaps if would attract more curiosity if it held a drinks chiller or the controls for a rocket launcher rather than two dull cupholders. And I don't think I've ever put cups in the cupholders myself.
I'm not taking aim here at drivers of certain German marques and the hackneyed comments about, ahem, indicators, but what other gadgets, accessories or aftermarket gimmicks are generally under-used by the HJ community these days?

Gadgets we rarely use... - bathtub tom

Agree about foglights, that I don't have on my 'poverty spec' Yaris. Apart from that, I've never used the can of gunk in the boot, or the air compressor.

Gadgets we rarely use... - Chris M

I haven't used the airbags on any of the cars I've owned. Complete waste of money.

;)

Edited by Chris M on 25/05/2023 at 22:48

Gadgets we rarely use... - Adampr

I use the speed limiter about once a year to see if I can work out why it's useful. I also never use fog lights or, indeed, sidelights.

The list of gadgets I either have or had on cars that I didn't want is fairly extensive:

1. Heated door mirrors
  2. Those hooks for hanging your jacket on
  3. The radar thing that slams the brakes on occasionally
  4. The lane keeping thing that tries to crash your car sometimes
  5. Silly little squirty things for the headlights
  6. A powered fold away towbar
  7. Electric boot opening
  8. About 95% of the things in an infotainment system. Especially SatNav.
  9. Adjustable boot floors
  10. Sport mode

Not quite the same, but I am unsure why a soft dashboard is considered so important these days.

Gadgets we rarely use... - Ian_SW

My previous car had what was described in the manual as a "sunglasses holder" - a strange drop down flap which, when pressed, hinged down from the ceiling. None of my sunglasses would fit in it, and even if they had, opening the holder would have resulted in the sunglasses falling out into the footwell.

I also removed the raised boot floor within weeks of buying the car and bought a rubber mat. This downgraded it to the "poverty spec" version which had a load lip, but you could then get a lot more in.

Also, grab handles above the doors - I don't think these were ever used in the whole 10 years I had the car.

The opposite way round, but I never realised just how much I valued the "ski hatch" until I bought a car without one. I probably only carried skis in the car a few times, but it was also incredibly useful for anything long bought from DIY stores, garden centres etc. when neither back seat can be easily folded because of the kids car seats. It also provided a fun and convenient access route for the kids into the back seats when we'd been for a muddy trip out somewhere, particularly when it was raining when we got back to the car. We'd put the kids into the boot to remove waterproofs, wellies etc,, and once clean they'd climb through the ski hatch and into the back seats.

Gadgets we rarely use... - Crickleymal

Foglights I never use.

I have used the hooks for hanging jackets on several times on the way to funerals or interviews. I only had one car with headlamp wipers and that was a Lada. Very useful though, I wish more of my cars had them.

Personally I'm not bothered about electric windows but it's rare to find a car without them, likewise electric mirror adjusters.

Gadgets we rarely use... - edlithgow

Don't have many gadgets. (Don't have any Rac***s either, unlike the OP, who must be in the US)

Things I have dispensed with as more trouble than they are worth are

(a) Carpets- Retain dirt, damp (car leaks) and inhibit rust treatment. Removable mats instead.

(b) Wheel covers - What are they for?

(c) Rear seats - Removed them for extra cargo room. Can replace for 6 monthly inspection and those rare back seat passengers but there are no rear seat belts

(d) Plastic interior trim - was sun embrittled and was just going to get smashed up if I left it in place. The exposed steel bodywork is more robust and has some useful (cubby) holes in it

I'd quite like to take the doors off sometime, (for the dry season) but I doubt it would pass inspection like that and might attract cops..

Edited by edlithgow on 26/05/2023 at 03:59

Gadgets we rarely use... - Xileno

Front fog lights certainly fall into this category in my case. I think they're more for style than anything else.

Gadgets we rarely use... - catsdad

Cruise control oddly enough. It used to be a useful flick on/off system and much used. Now on the Golf it’s a multi mode faff largely unused.

Worse is the headlight level adjustment. A once useful feature now buried in a menu somewhere and impossible to find and use safely on the move.

Driving mode. Set to Eco and stays there.

CD player. Single shot unit in the glove box with poor Adele locked in for four years and counting.

Come to think about it, the box has never seen a glove.

Gadgets we rarely use... - gordonbennet
Fog lights can be useful on those dark and misty early mornings when i'm on my way to work, i take a country route and on the probably 6 miles of country road i see another car maybe once a week, in fog main beam is useless because reflection and the fog lights do provide a useful extra spread of light where its needed...they are however road legal upgraded Osram bulbs, with OE bulbs they were like candles which is pretty standard for every front fog lamp and probably why you find them pointless.

The other reason for front fog lights is should you experience a blown headlight bulb, you can flick the fogs on and still have a decent fully lit front end visible for oncoming vehicles, we've all encountered the motorcycle on a rural route which turns out to be a neglected Transit with not a single offside bulb to be seen.

Age and type of our cars pointless gadgets are thankfully not fitted and the ones in place are mostly useful, haven't needed to use the centre diff lock yet nor sport mode on the electrically adjustable dampers (Sport mode damping on a Landcruiser i ask you) and the noughties Toyota in-built satnav is such a pita to use you'd probably run out of fuel if you had it on tickover whilst failing miserably to program it, cursing fluently, must be 50% of the handbook just for that useless thing.

Haven't needed the spare wheel on one car (just as well, bolted to the rear door under a lockable cover it's a major operation to use it), have needed it on the other car.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/05/2023 at 07:07

Gadgets we rarely use... - alan1302
The other reason for front fog lights is should you experience a blown headlight bulb, you can flick the fogs on and still have a decent fully lit front end visible for oncoming vehicles,

Not thought of that before - veery good point.

Gadgets we rarely use... - Engineer Andy

I use the speed limiter about once a year to see if I can work out why it's useful. I also never use fog lights or, indeed, sidelights.

The list of gadgets I either have or had on cars that I didn't want is fairly extensive:

1. Heated door mirrors
  2. Those hooks for hanging your jacket on
  3. The radar thing that slams the brakes on occasionally
  4. The lane keeping thing that tries to crash your car sometimes
  5. Silly little squirty things for the headlights
  6. A powered fold away towbar
  7. Electric boot opening
  8. About 95% of the things in an infotainment system. Especially SatNav.
  9. Adjustable boot floors
  10. Sport mode

Not quite the same, but I am unsure why a soft dashboard is considered so important these days.

My 'old' Mazda 3 supposedly has heated wing mirrors, but there's no specific button to switch it on, so does it just switch on automatically as the A/C goes to heating mode, or would it have some kind of temperature sensor in one / both mirrors to trigger that system?

I personally don't see the point of an adjustable boot floor. Why was it that older designed cars could easily accept a full sized spare wheel and tyre, then my car's generation (for the most part, with some notable exceptions that could still accept full size spares) then could only take a space-saver, now most either have nothing at all or seriously reduce the main boot area below that of previous generations' in order to fit a spacesaver in, assuming the space isn't filled with some kind of ICE.

What use is this space (other than ICE) being put to nowadays? Sveral 'new' cars similar in physical size to mine I looked at back in 2017 failed the 'holiday gubbins' boot test that mine passed with flying colours. So many now have a very shallow floor, even when the boot floor is 'dropped'.

<

My 'old' Mazda 3 supposedly has heated wing mirrors, but there's no specific button to switch it on, so does it just switch on automatically as the A/C goes to heating mode, or would it have some kind of temperature sensor in one / both mirrors to trigger that system?

Forester has one button which switches on the windscreen heater which fires up the mirror heaters at the same time, that might bne typical for Japanese cars. It's not a Ford type whole screen heater, the element is along the bottom of the screen behind the wiper blades, surprising how quickly the heat defrosts the whole screen though.
Gadgets we rarely use... - Andrew-T
It's not a Ford type whole screen heater, the element is along the bottom of the screen behind the wiper blades, surprising how quickly the heat defrosts the whole screen though.

That would be to prevent the blades being frozen to the screen when parked ?

That would be to prevent the blades being frozen to the screen when parked ?

Indeed Andrew, but its effective in defrosting the whole screen too.

system?

I personally don't see the point of an adjustable boot floor.

If you want to get something in and out easier without too much of a load lip then you can have it raised and can have it dropped to get more in the cars boot. We'd need a level boot to get a wheelchair in, but if we don't have the chair in can drop it to get more in the boot.

system?

I personally don't see the point of an adjustable boot floor.

If you want to get something in and out easier without too much of a load lip then you can have it raised and can have it dropped to get more in the cars boot. We'd need a level boot to get a wheelchair in, but if we don't have the chair in can drop it to get more in the boot.

Maybe, but from looking at cars in 2017 with such features, the height of the raised boot space area is quite small and, whilst easier to slide something onto it, it may not be high enough for some bulky items to be accommodated.

I'd rather have a lower loading lip and the 'old' lower boot floor to start with - it's not as though car manufacturers cannot make them that way, given many have been over the years with seemingly no downside.

In my view, cars with a high rear bumper / boot opening lip would surely contribute to worse rear end accident results, because the car hitting them from behind could go undeneath and flip the car in front into the air, rather than bonnet bumper + rear end bumper making full contact and taking most of the crash energy, rather than transferring the potential energy from one car to the one in front, propelling it forward, maybe over.

Just a thought.

Gadgets we rarely use... - FoxyJukebox
I just can’t see the point of any gadget accessory or service linked into the steering wheel. I never ever use these. There are buttons for this and that all over it and I can’t even be bothered to find out what any of them are.
The steering wheel is for steering only.
The steering wheel is for steering only.

In my succession of small Pugs, there has been one retrograde step on the steering wheel. A 205 or 306 had a convenient horn push on the end of the indicator stalk, easily tapped to give pedestrians a polite warning. The 207 has a big clunky section on the wheel which cannot be used gently, only with some effort, and even then it doesn't always work first time.

Gadgets we rarely use... - _

I do not use the power steering setting, (can't tell the difference), Speed limiter, and cruise control,is useless on a manual car.

Gadgets we rarely use... - nellyjak

Totally agree about foglights...never use them...come to think of it I never use the rear fog light either.!..lol

Gadgets we rarely use... - Bromptonaut

I do not use the power steering setting, (can't tell the difference), Speed limiter, and cruise control,is useless on a manual car.

One thing the Skoda has that I use all the time is the speed limiter. Not a full cruise control so you still need a your foot on the accelerator but damn useful for stopping one creeping over the limit, particularly when it's 20 or 30. Also. whether at 60 for economy or 77 for just legal speed, on the open road. Up/down button on the end of the indicator stalk is easy to use.

Front fogs on both cars add some useful light at the front and are occasionally used as driving lights on unlit roads. As GB points out they're good in (err) fog as they don't reflect back and dazzle. They also illuminate the kerb or road edge marking. Same in falling snow.

Pretty much everything else we use including Android Auto to present sat nav on the centre screen and allow access to playlists etc. Hands free phone is a boon too.

Gadgets we rarely use... - RT

One thing the Skoda has that I use all the time is the speed limiter. Not a full cruise control so you still need a your foot on the accelerator but damn useful for stopping one creeping over the limit, particularly when it's 20 or 30. Also. whether at 60 for economy or 77 for just legal speed, on the open road. Up/down button on the end of the indicator stalk is easy to use.

Front fogs on both cars add some useful light at the front and are occasionally used as driving lights on unlit roads. As GB points out they're good in (err) fog as they don't reflect back and dazzle. They also illuminate the kerb or road edge marking. Same in falling snow.

Pretty much everything else we use including Android Auto to present sat nav on the centre screen and allow access to playlists etc. Hands free phone is a boon too.

The cruise on my Touareg is non-adaptive, non-limiting but I find it very useful at avoiding speeding - just set to the limit and let it do it's thing. Having driven a couple of cars with adaptive cruise, I wouldn't want it asI like to be in full control when it gets congested.

I do use my front fog lights in fog, snow and narrow country lanes - my rear "fog" light is used when visibility is less than 100 metres - one of the things I hate in others is barrelling along at well over 70 in poor visibility with their rear fog light on - if the visibility needs the rear fog on then speed should be reduced.

cruise control,is useless on a manual car.

Use it all the time on the motorway.

Gadgets we rarely use... - John F

As the erstwhile Audi flagship my 'forever car', a 2005 W12 sport quattro, is stuffed with exotic gadgetry e.g. proximity beeps of selectable note and volume (adjusted only once in my nine years of ownership, front and rear an octave apart) to numerous driver and front passenger seat memory positions. I occasionally see if they still work. Much of it is never used, e.g. the voice activated in-car telephone directory and the steering wheel paddles for 'tiptronic' gear changes. Sometimes it is nice to know that never used gadgets are there, e.g. the towing hook, headlamp washers. My favorite gadget, which I'm surprised is not more widespread, is the rear window blind - so useful when being tailgated in the dark by a blazing Chelsea tractor thugmobile or an HGV wanting to go faster than a 50mph M-way limit. I have a wicked thought of painting a message on it........

Gadgets we rarely use... - skidpan

Speed limiter, and cruise control,is useless on a manual car.

Why on earth would you think that? We have had cruise control on 6 cars now and only 1 of them has been an auto. Cruise worked just as well on the 5 manuals, makes long distance cruising far more relaxing and allows you to concentrate on other road users instead of constantly checking your speed..

Adaptive cruise is even better, the manual Superb had it as does the current auto.

Only tried the speed limiter once and that was on the 2nd Micra. All it did was sound a warning when you exceeded the set speed, other than deafen you it did nothing to limit your speed. That was totally pointless.

Its because a rock hard plastic dash is just plain hideous to look at and touch. My Anglia Deluxe had a painted dash, the Super that followed it had a soft plastic top. And that was in the mid 60's so hardly a new thing.

Edited by skidpan on 26/05/2023 at 11:26

Gadgets we rarely use... - movilogo

Features never used

• Speed limiter
  • Voice commands
  • built-in sat nav (obsolete maps, Google map is always up to date)
  • light behind sun-visor (but wife regularly uses while on passenger seat)

Features regularly use

• Cruise control (my car doesn't have adaptive but my next car should have it)
  • heated mirrors (they help to vaporize rain water)
  • front fog lights - great in illuminating roadsides, very useful in narrow country roads at night
  • paddle shifters (good for extra acceleration during overtaking and fun too)
  • climate controls (saved fighting with wife as we can't agree on temperature)

Don't have and don't fancy

• electric tailgate
  • LKA
  • HUD

Don't have but fancy having

• electric seat
  • 360 camera
  • Android Auto
  • Sliding doors (they are rare and only offered in MPVs)

I haven't used the airbags on any of the cars I've owned. Complete waste of money.

Had the misfortune of using them, wouldn't buy a car without them in future :)

Features never used

• Speed limiter
  • Voice commands
  • built-in sat nav (obsolete maps, Google map is always up to date)
  • light behind sun-visor (but wife regularly uses while on passenger seat)

Features regularly use

• Cruise control (my car doesn't have adaptive but my next car should have it)
  • heated mirrors (they help to vaporize rain water)
  • front fog lights - great in illuminating roadsides, very useful in narrow country roads at night
  • paddle shifters (good for extra acceleration during overtaking and fun too)
  • climate controls (saved fighting with wife as we can't agree on temperature)

Don't have and don't fancy

• electric tailgate
  • LKA
  • HUD

Don't have but fancy having

• electric seat
  • 360 camera
  • Android Auto
  • Sliding doors (they are rare and only offered in MPVs)

Had the misfortune of using them, wouldn't buy a car without them in future :)

Even though I only had an hour in the car (test drive), I found that the Mazda CX-3's HUD was quite useful, because it included both the current speed and what the limit was (assuming that info was correct). It meant that I could keep my eyes on the road but still had access to important information.

I suspect many now also have warnings for upcoming speed cameras (I don't remember if that car did in early 2017), which is useful if you're driving in an unfamiliar area which has accident blackspots / lots of changes in the speed limit.

Electrically adjustable seats are (when they work) very useful if there's more than one regular user and the height difference is significant. Do rear view mirrors come with that option nowadays as well?

I remember my parents' car whereby the mirror actually fell off because it needed adjustment every time they swapped driving duties and it eventually became loose. Not good when you're driving along and it falls off!

Gadgets we rarely use... - movilogo

Electrically adjustable seats are (when they work) very useful if there's more than one regular user

I find it useful even when I'm only driver. If I'm driving on motorway and I need to adjust the seat for comfort, it is bit dangerous to do on manual seats as it move suddenly on rails, more than you expected. With electric seat, a finer adjustment is possible while driving. This helps in long journeys when slight posture change is necessary after some time.

warnings for upcoming speed cameras

Google map warn about speed cameras.

Electrically adjustable seats are (when they work) very useful if there's more than one regular user

I find it useful even when I'm only driver. If I'm driving on motorway and I need to adjust the seat for comfort, it is bit dangerous to do on manual seats as it move suddenly on rails, more than you expected. With electric seat, a finer adjustment is possible while driving. This helps in long journeys when slight posture change is necessary after some time.

Isn't adjusting your seat whilst driving illegal, and potentially very dangerous if it adjusts 'too much', not just the act of taking your attention away from driving?

More understandable if you do so at a service stop, but then you have the time do change a setting manually. From my experience over longer journeys, most of those problems seem (for me anyway) to be associated with sitting still (as it were) for 2hrs and thus needing to have a good stretch of the limbs and especially my back.

It's also one of the reasons why one of my 'red lines' for buying a car is whether it has a left foot rest and of sufficient width to properly accommodate it to give better comfort on longer journeys.

warnings for upcoming speed cameras

Google map warn about speed cameras.

True, but the HUD means you don't have to take your eyes away from the road. A lot of add-on sat navs and phone mounting points that are close to the steering wheel / instrument panel area (mostly the mounts are stuck to the windsreen) are illegal as they are mounted within what I think is a restricted zone on the windscreen.

... e.g. the towing hook, headlamp washers......

As soon as those old Volvos appeared way back with headlamp washers I thought 'what a daft gadget'. Lamps are quick and easy (and probably more effectively) to clean by hand, and silly little wipers are vulnerable in a carwash. Plus I didn't see how, assuming one started a journey with cleanish lamps, they would become so dirty as to need cleaning before one arrived. :-)

Gadgets we rarely use... - elekie&a/c doctor
My wife’s Vitara has factory sat nav . Don’t use it and prefer Waze through the apple car play and I phone.

... e.g. the towing hook, headlamp washers......

As soon as those old Volvos appeared way back with headlamp washers I thought 'what a daft gadget'. Lamps are quick and easy (and probably more effectively) to clean by hand, and silly little wipers are vulnerable in a carwash. Plus I didn't see how, assuming one started a journey with cleanish lamps, they would become so dirty as to need cleaning before one arrived. :-)

My Karoq has squirters that come out on little stalks. Unfortunately, they only do that when you ask for screenwash, so use twice as much as needed. Just another thing to break too.

Gadgets we rarely use... - sammy1

For me Voice Control, sunroof.. Best feature High Beam Assist, just switch it on and automatic dip and main beam activated by sensors for oncoming headlights and rear lights of traffic you are following or passing. Rear camera second best

For me Voice Control, sunroof.. Best feature High Beam Assist, just switch it on and automatic dip and main beam activated by sensors for oncoming headlights and rear lights of traffic you are following or passing. Rear camera second best

I used to use the (manual tilt and slide) sunroof - and the rear quarterlights on my old 90s Micra - but then the car didn't have A/C and thus ventilation was better than none at all in the sweltering heat of summer.

I found that the louvred sunroof screen was really useful, meaning air could get out, but sunlight couldn't get in. Glad it never leaked when it rained!

Just replaced one front fog lamp unit that I barely ever (have needed to) use, mainly because the lens crack of 2+ years (it still worked) developed into a hol, meaning water ingress was possible, so I had to act in case of water damaging the electrical system.

£180 Spent just because of a broken lens (and that was technically not the correct cost [about £270] because my dealership forgot to add the labour cost onto my quote) on a light I've probably used less than 6 times in 17 years. Luckily, and with a bit of 'negotiation', I managed to get done at the quoted price. Still...

Gadgets we rarely use... - Big John

On my Poverty S spec 2014 Superb I suppose I have less gadgets (no satnav etc) but I use just about all of what I do have:-

• Auto headlights - yes
  • Heated door mirrors - yes.
  • Fog lights - yes. Used front lights loads in bad weather on my horrible (ex)commute. On mucky backroads they really improved edge illumination in poor visibility (my normal headlights have a good flat with left tick beam).
  • Primitive cruise , just set when you get to speed (not adaptive). Used all the time on motorways and/or roadworks - good driving licence preserver.
  • Steering wheel controls - yes all of them.
  • Air con - yes.
  • CD/Radio/Aux/Bluetooth - er yes.
  • Stop start - yes (you can barely spot it in action except slight starter motor whir)
  • Rear parking sensors - option - yes.
  • I even use the twin door. Hatch most of the time, boot when in restricted height such as multistorey car park or ferry.
  • Lever for adjusting headlights for use in Europe - yes.
  • Power socket front/rear/boot - yes
  • Spare wheel - never used, but I still want one.

However my next car is a potential issue?:-

• Adaptive cruise - can I still set as the old primitive type if needed?
  • KESSY - no thanks.
  • Basic functions on touch screen - no thanks.
  • Electric hand brake - if I must.
  • Lane departure and auto brake - sigh (I hated lane departure on a test drive).
  • Android Auto/ Apple car play - yes please.
  • How do I convert headlights for driving in Europe? (presuming basic model without full led automatic tourist mode). I hate headlight stickers!

Edited by Big John on 26/05/2023 at 22:19

Gadgets we rarely use... - DavidGlos
Adaptive cruise - can it be set to revert back to primitive cruise control?

…depends on the car. Previous 2016 Golf was adaptive or bust. Current Kuga can be set to primitive, adaptive or intelligent. The latter reads the speed limit signs and adjusts the speed accordingly… but in a rather harsh and aggressive manner. I’ve settled on adaptive, so it maintains the speed that I’ve chosen, unless there’s insufficient gap to the car in front, in which case it slows down to preserve the gap (you can change the distance). Works very well, especially in slow moving traffic where it will start and stop. After more than about 5 seconds stationary, you have to press a button on the wheel to move off again, but it’s pretty effective.

Wouldn’t want a car without cruise control now.
Gadgets we rarely use... - primus 1

Well I must be the exception because I love my gadgets, I have a ford puma 1st edition and the only things I don’t have are heated seats/wheel, and panoramic roof/ sunroof, I do like the megabox which is really useful, but my next car won’t be a Ford so won’t have this feature, I’ve even used the self park a couple of times which I did mainly just because, I can imagine if you have difficulty turning around or have neck problems ect, then it would be useful, adaptive cruise is a godsend on long journeys, the speed limiter is linked to the traffic sign recognition but doesn’t always work and I find it won’t adjust the speed either way , my next car’s limiter won’t work this way , but it will have electric tailgate, 360 cameras, and heated seats/ steering wheel….

As regards cruise control, most newer cars these days (even low spec ones) appear to have this feature - how useful is it in real world driving?

My sister has had it in some of her cars over the last decade or so, and in her experience, such systems are more trouble than they are worth, not because they develop faults, but because they are less useful these days with the heavier level of traffic, which even on 'faster' flowing roads like dual carriageways and motorways can concertina a lot, which means setting a constant speed doesn't last long.

When I travel to Cornwall on holiday down the M4 / M5 (normally out of the high holiday season), I often notice cars breaking and accelerating in 'reasonably' moving traffic, which says to me their cruise control (or similar) is trying to keep a certain distance to vehicles in front, rather than a constant speed.

The odd thing is they rarely seem to employ just 'backing off' the accelerator as I would (my car doesn't have cruise control), so wouldn't their method use more fuel than mine, and actually cause more 'concertinaring / jams due to those behind seeing brake lights and following suit, whether needed or not?

I use cruise control all the time. I don't have adaptive cruise but have had it in the past. It makes little difference to me, but is a middle laner's dream. They set it at whatever speed and then just sit there producing the concertina effect that you're talking about. The amount of times I overtake them in lane 3, then go back to lane 1 and have them overtake me again is amazing - it happens whenever was 'holding them up' also goes back to lane 1.

I use cruise control all the time. I don't have adaptive cruise but have had it in the past. It makes little difference to me, but is a middle laner's dream. They set it at whatever speed and then just sit there producing the concertina effect that you're talking about. The amount of times I overtake them in lane 3, then go back to lane 1 and have them overtake me again is amazing - it happens whenever was 'holding them up' also goes back to lane 1.

I never use cruise control as I prefer to be in control of the accelerator especially on a busy motorway. The system cannot anticipate hills for instance and it is just a lazy way to drive. The drivers on adaptive cruise are a pain braking the car for no apparent reason when getting the distance set behind something and if someone should get in the gap as they do. It is more annoying at night when brakes go on for no good reason

Gadgets we rarely use... - FP

"I never use cruise control as I prefer to be in control of the accelerator especially on a busy motorway."

I use cruise control sparingly and only when the traffic is light, not having the luxury of the adaptive version.

"The system cannot anticipate hills for instance and it is just a lazy way to drive."

Why does it need to anticipate? - it increases throttle to compensate for hills as it encounters them and the speed remains constant.

The stuff about adaptive cruise braking a car for no apparent reason is odd - presumably that's how it works. I don't see why it's more of a problem at night, I have to say. But if it bothers you, you may be following the car in front too closely.

As for the suggestion that using cruise control is "just a lazy way to drive" - you could say that about a lot of features on cars we now accept or even require. Automatic wipers, headlights, even feedback about tyre pressure and oil/coolant level, which means we don't have to get out and test the tyres or open the bonnet.

"""The stuff about adaptive cruise braking a car for no apparent reason is odd - presumably that's how it works. I don't see why it's more of a problem at night, I have to say. But if it bothers you, you may be following the car in front too closely."""

Adaptive cruise is just that it is programable to a set distance. If a car it is following slows it will brake the car IF it gets too close or if something gets in between. The system has been know to brake a car when something as simple as a plastic bag blows in front of the car. It is extremely difficult to see the road ahead in the dark on say a mway. On dipped headlights all you can see is tail lights of other cars and braking unnecessarily is off putting much worse at night than day. Please do not tell others how to drive.

"""Why does it need to anticipate? - it increases throttle to compensate for hills as it encounters them and the speed remains constant.""

It doesn't But i would think that it probably increase fuel consumption rather than giving the car more impetus before a hill

Gadgets we rarely use... - FP

"... if it bothers you, you may be following the car in front too closely."

"Please do not tell others how to drive."

I didn't - re-read what I wrote. I phrased it carefully, to avoid giving offence.

_______

"Why does it need to anticipate? - it increases throttle to compensate for hills as it encounters them and the speed remains constant."

"It doesn't But i would think that it probably increase fuel consumption rather than giving the car more impetus before a hill."

I would think it probably doesn't do that, but it would no doubt be difficult to prove. I've always assumed that not using cruise control up a hill, and easing off the accelerator, would be the most economical of the alternatives.

.... feedback about tyre pressure and oil/coolant level, which means we don't have to get out and test the tyres or open the bonnet.

... As long as these 'effort-saving devices' work according to plan. The 'problem' with them is that we come to rely on them too heavily, assuming that they are always right. I am not so pressed for time that I can't check my tyre pressures occasionally. And there must be examples of false warnings too ?

I never use cruise control as I prefer to be in control of the accelerator especially on a busy motorway. The system cannot anticipate hills for instance and it is just a lazy way to drive. The drivers on adaptive cruise are a pain braking the car for no apparent reason when getting the distance set behind something and if someone should get in the gap as they do. It is more annoying at night when brakes go on for no good reason

You are always in control even when on cruise control....think some people forget that.

Gadgets we rarely use... - Crickleymal

I have basic cruise control and I use it all the time on motorways. I'll admit it's no good if it's congested but if the traffic is flowing freely I find it very relaxing. Although you do have to anticipate more to avoid braking but that's no bad thing.

As regards cruise control, most newer cars these days (even low spec ones) appear to have this feature - how useful is it in real world driving?

Very - travelling on the Motorways - set it to the speed you want...then when you get behind someone increase the speed slightly...then get past and drop it back. Much more relaxing on a long drive than having to hold the speed all the time with the accelerator...wich my van had it on a long trip.

Gadgets we rarely use... - mcb100
Every car with adaptive cruise that I’ve ever driven had the ability to alter the distance between me and the vehicle in front.
Yes, if you’re running with the smallest gap, the car will brake more often than an observant driver will, simply because it doesn’t see traffic situations developing. It just suddenly sees a vehicle in front, travelling more slowly, so it does what it can to rectify the situation. And if that means braking, it’ll brake.
Travel a click or two further back and life’s more peaceful.
I’m on cruise 95% of my day, including around town, and slightly begrudge the accusation that I’m being lazy.
Gadgets we rarely use... - Terry W

It is evident there is no consensus on useful, and therefore pointless gadgetry.

Any car manufacturer is going to fill their motors with all the kit they think will encourage punters to upgrade to their maximum affordable spec.

That much is rarely, if ever used, is of limited importance. With so much drive by wire the additional cost of of manufacture is low, often needing little more than software configuration changes or sensors at the end of existing wiring loom.

"""The odd thing is they rarely seem to employ just 'backing off' the accelerator as I would (my car doesn't have cruise control), so wouldn't their method use more fuel than mine, and actually cause more 'concertinaring / jams due to those behind seeing brake lights and following suit, whether needed or not?"""

I am in agreement with this statement by EA nothing personal meant to anyone using cruise

Gadgets we rarely use... - Terry W

If most cars had (and used) adaptive cruise control then it would be the flesh and blood behind the wheel that would be the cause of any problems!

I also question whether adaptive cruise control will react better when coming up behind slow moving or stationary traffic faster than potentially inattentive, tired, drunk or drugged drivers.

I rarely use cruise control unless traffic is very light - eg: 02.00 on the M4 and M5. Small speed variation is a bit of a pain when overtaking - this may simply be due to the way the controls operate in my car.

Most cars these days have such a surplus of performance over that needed to travel at legal speeds that anticipating hills is generally of zero consequence on motorway gradients.

"""I also question whether adaptive cruise control will react better when coming up behind slow moving or stationary traffic faster than potentially inattentive, tired, drunk or drugged drivers.""

What would happen if you are on adaptive cruise control and a car is stationery? Surely the human would realise the car was stopped long before the adaptive cruise reached its distance setting. The other factors mentioned should not be on the road.

""If most cars had (and used) adaptive cruise control then it would be the flesh and blood behind the wheel that would be the cause of any problems!""

Cruise control are aids they are no substitute for the driver in charge and could lead to the inattention you mention

The other factors mentioned should not be on the road.

Maybe not - but unfortunately some are !

Every car with adaptive cruise that I’ve ever driven had the ability to alter the distance between me and the vehicle in front. Yes, if you’re running with the smallest gap, the car will brake more often than an observant driver will, simply because it doesn’t see traffic situations developing. It just suddenly sees a vehicle in front, travelling more slowly, so it does what it can to rectify the situation. And if that means braking, it’ll brake. Travel a click or two further back and life’s more peaceful. I’m on cruise 95% of my day, including around town, and slightly begrudge the accusation that I’m being lazy.
I think a “click” is a kilometer, so you must be driving some very uncrowded roads. Australian outback, maybe. From what I remember of The Yook, and what I know of The ROC, a relaxed, or even a safe vehicle separation gap will see someone overtaking into it every time, forcing you to drop back again and again. Since I generally drive in the slow lane this is usually an HGV. There is no fix for this AFAIK BUT smallest gap may be the best one can do.

Gadgets we rarely use... - paul 1963
Every car with adaptive cruise that I’ve ever driven had the ability to alter the distance between me and the vehicle in front. Yes, if you’re running with the smallest gap, the car will brake more often than an observant driver will, simply because it doesn’t see traffic situations developing. It just suddenly sees a vehicle in front, travelling more slowly, so it does what it can to rectify the situation. And if that means braking, it’ll brake. Travel a click or two further back and life’s more peaceful. I’m on cruise 95% of my day, including around town, and slightly begrudge the accusation that I’m being lazy.
I think a “click” is a kilometer, so you must be driving some very uncrowded roads. Australian outback, maybe. From what I remember of The Yook, and what I know of The ROC, a relaxed, or even a safe vehicle separation gap will see someone overtaking into it every time, forcing you to drop back again and again. Since I generally drive in the slow lane this is usually an HGV. There is no fix for this AFAIK BUT smallest gap may be the best one can do.

Ed, when mcb mentioned 'a click or two' he was referring to the distance control in the car.

They click?

How charmingly and uncharacteristically old school.
I would have expected them to beep.
And maybe phone someone id never heard of in Nigeria.
But then I dunno from gadgets. Sorry

The rest still applies, and requires no gadget involvement to be b***** annoying.

In my case, the cigarette lighter, except to plug in the 12-volt tyre inflater. In the 205 it is always live, so no key needed - not the case with the 207.

And that must be something which will never be incorporated in a touchscreen ?