What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - RDavies

I'm very grateful to one of the site contributers at Ask John for suggesting my brother goes for a VW Golf mk 7 to replace his beloved Lexus CT200h Advance (2014 plate). While he's loving the tech spec of the Golf and is warming to the fuel efficiency despite the cost of diesel, he's balking at the cockpit design. To explain the following, he is neurodivergent (think Forest Gump but not as severe) and, whilst an excellent driver, he can be a stickler for things that someone us may not find important. His criteria so far:

Budget: £12k. 60+mpg, lowish insurance group, reliable. Must be automatic (disability issue). Reliable and low(ish) maintenance costs. Would like bells & whistles that you see in the Golf. Refuses to have another hybrid (dont ask, but it was a nightmare getting repairs and downright expensive).

All well and good, but... he's refusing any suggestion of a car car that doesn't have a "good cockpit" which I'm gathering is a wide centre console that divides the driver and front passenger seat and has lots of buttons. This is becoming a sticking point for him which I cant seem to get him past.

In his defense, he spends *a lot* of time in his car for his job, and half of it is just waiting around, so he wants to like the inside, and I get that (also I know he wants something "different" to what most people have which is one reason he loved his Lexus but he won't admit this.) At the same time, he's seen a few imported Mercedes which far exceed all his tech and aesthetic boxes, but in my mind completely miss his needs for low running costs/reliability.

I'm very, very slowly getting him to get a Golf mk 7 which I truly believe he will like, and he admits he does, but he's convincing himself that an imported Merc would get him everything he's ever wanted.

I'm not a car person myself, so I'd be really appreciative if anyone out there could explain/confirm that yes, he could have that really nice looking high spec imported Merc in his price range, but good luck finding an insurer or repairs that won't cost an arm and a leg or take ages to get parts.

Or does he have a point?

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - Big John

"Budget: £12k. 60+mpg, lowish insurance group"

Hmm, you'd struggle finding a car with 60mpg+ , especially if it's a petrol unless it's the Toyota/Lexus hybrid (already ruled out).

The previous gen Volvo's had a floating console with lots of buttons that divides the driver and front passenger seats.

Edited by Big John on 11/04/2023 at 22:52

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - Adampr

Does he need a lot of room? If not, a Honda CR-Z might work - they have a very fancy cockpit. In fact, all Hondas seem to be festooned with buttons. Some the relatively recent Civics have a kind of double decker dash.

Some of the more recent Peugeots with the i-Cockpit might also be of interest.

It sounds like he really wants KITT or Jackie Chan's Subaru from Cannonball Run.

As for the imported Mercedes option - probably not a great idea due to maintenance costs.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - SLO76
You’ve been badly advised if a Mk VII Golf with a DSG (automated manual) gearbox has been suggested. These are not robust gearboxes, they’ve a poor track record for failures and replacement costs are crippling, usually writing the car off.

With a budget of £12,000 and seeking an automatic car I’d leave anything with an automated manual box like VW/Seat/Audi/Skoda’s DSG or Fords awful Powershift gearbox well alone. Instead sit him in either a Mazda 3 or 6 2.0 Skyactiv petrol auto or a Toyota Auris 1.8 Hybrid. The previous gen Honda Civic 1.8 auto is another worthy option. These three are robust and mechanically simple and thus very long lived and reliable if cared for correctly. The Golf is utter garbage as a used buy with an automatic gearbox and best avoided.

I should add, as someone who's owned a Golf 7, that I'm with your brother; the interior is exceptionally dull.

And now I remember that CRZs are manual only. Sorry.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - catsdad

My son has just bought a 2019 Mazda 6 petrol albeit manual. The cabin is impressive in quality and the cockpit wraps around you like Saabs of old. However you won’t get anything close to 60 mpg from the petrol and Mazda diesels have a mixed reputation. If you debadged the 6 you would be hard pressed to distinguish it from allegedly more prestigious makes.

What about a Honda CRV or Civic with the 1.6 diesel. Not really luxurious but equally as good as the Golf with better autos and reliability. Not that the Golf cabin is bad, I have a 2018 manual model and I like the dash and cabin.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - badbusdriver

It is a fairly obscure option and no idea about reliability or insurance group, but the Infiniti Q30 is available as an auto with a 1.5 or 2.2 turbo diesel, so the mpg target should be doable.

There is also the bigger (3 Series sized) Q50 which could be had with the 2.2 turbo diesel.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - Steveieb

Don’t think there were any quality problems with the Honda Jazz built in a China but maybe Honda technicians were keeping a close watch on their cloned products.

Understand that cloned Honda generators manufactured in China left something to be desired !

Have BMW withdrawn plans to move production of the Mini Electric to China following a UK government intervention ?

Don’t think there were any quality problems with the Honda Jazz built in a China but maybe Honda technicians were keeping a close watch on their cloned products.

Understand that cloned Honda generators manufactured in China left something to be desired !

Have BMW withdrawn plans to move production of the Mini Electric to China following a UK government intervention ?

Think you might be on the wrong thread?

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - pd

To be honest the originally suggested Mercedes C or E class probably still ticks the most boxes.

He's coming over to a Mazda! He's seen a couple of m3 2.0s - unsure if they're Skyactiv, and also he's spotted a couple of Mazda 2 1.5 skyactivs which he likes the look of and seem to be a bit more economical so he's looking more into to them. He's also come across a very low mileage 8 year old Nissan Pulsar but unsure how he's liking that one. I've finally got him out of his mental blocks so just need to keep him on track now.

Any recommendations with the different Mazdas - does the number (2,3,6) indicate a higher spec? Also, is the pulsar worth a look (1.2N connecta dig t xtronic)? He seems to like it but idon't want him to get bogged down looking at alternatives and confusing himself again.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one.. - catsdad

Mazda 2/3/6 has nothing to with spec as such. They are quite different cars and classes. 2 is comparable to a Fiesta, 3 a Focus and 6 a Mondeo if you are more familiar with Fords.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - mcb100
Citroen DS5.
A good looking interior with centre console, more buttons and switches than it needs, and a diesel auto.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - sammy1

"""Budget: £12k. 60+mpg, lowish insurance group, reliable. Must be automatic (disability issue). Reliable and low(ish) maintenance costs. Would like bells & whistles that you see in the Golf. Refuses to have another hybrid (dont ask, but it was a nightmare getting repairs and downright expensive)."""

Yes tough one. Totally unrealistic. On this budget will have to make compromises.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - John F

"""Budget: £12k. 60+mpg, lowish insurance group, reliable. Must be automatic (disability issue). Reliable and low(ish) maintenance costs. Would like bells & whistles .......

Yes tough one. Totally unrealistic. On this budget wil l have to make compromises.

Agreed. Pie in sky mentality. Unless it is driven very rarely, no 'luxury car' will be cheap to run, and even (ish) ones won't do anything like 60mpg. I think the OP needs to check the meaning of 'luxury'.

"""Budget: £12k. 60+mpg, lowish insurance group, reliable. Must be automatic (disability issue). Reliable and low(ish) maintenance costs. Would like bells & whistles .......

Yes tough one. Totally unrealistic. On this budget wil l have to make compromises.

Agreed. Pie in sky mentality. Unless it is driven very rarely, no 'luxury car' will be cheap to run, and even (ish) ones won't do anything like 60mpg. I think the OP needs to check the meaning of 'luxury'.

It's not at all unrealistic. The stated requirements cover a number of options. The only really tricky one is the MPG.

There are nearly 1,200 cars on Autotrader that are petrol, under 12k and automatic with official MPG above 60

Edited by Adampr on 12/04/2023 at 12:05

Thanks Adam (and to everyone who has contributed). It's autotrader that he's primarily going off for figures. I've just spent the morning in a couple of car supermarkets with him. Did not like Civic interior at all. Same for Peugeot, Seat and the likes - wouldnt even sit in one.

The ones that he hovered around a fair bit include the following (hes bumped up his max price a little which has given him a few more options). We were going to try a couple of them out but the sales staff proved to be extremely predatory so we left as it was upsetting him, but I think these are ones he's narrowed it down to:

Hyundai Ioniq Premium (but he really didn't like the i30), Infiniti Q50 (premium), Volvo V40 Cross Country, Audi A3 (interesting as he hates the A1 for everything) and a Jag XE (but admitted it was too big for him). He also spent some time looking at a couple of hybrids (Auris 1.8 and a Prius) which was interesting given hes previously ruled them out. He later said he might consider one with a warranty /care plan if he could afford it which sounds sensible but not feasible.

He was coming round to the Golf when he spotted the comments on DSG which has sent him back to square one almost. Are they really that bad? It was Andrew Brady who suggested the Golf.

Thanks again.

If he is considering a Toyota and warranty then it’s worth looking at Toyotas own offer. As I understand it any Toyota, even if it’s been serviced outside the dealer network, simply needs one new service by Toyota to then qualify for a one year warranty. You can enjoy this “service plus a years warranty” until the car is 10 years old or 100k miles, whichever comes first.

There may be some devil in the detail but it seems to be an attractive proposition by a company noted for its quality and service.

Therein lies the issue - they'll only offer it upto 10 years/100k miles. Given his budget, a lot of these (the auris at least) are near that. He'd probably be happy with a Prius with 100k on the clock if he could get a warranty with it but I don't think toyota will. He's doing his research at the mo so I'll see what he comes back with.

"""He was coming round to the Golf when he spotted the comments on DSG which has sent him back to square one almost. Are they really that bad? It was Andrew Brady who suggested the Golf.""

In our family in the last 10 years we have had 3 golfs an S3 an A! and 2 Skoda Octavia VRS all with a DSG gearbox. We have had no trouble at all with these cars and certainly no DSG gearbox issues. The dsg gearbox is a joy to drive and if you can find a good golf should be a reliable and nice car.

I've had a Golf DSG and currently have a Skoda Karoq DSG. I've had no problems. I think it's more a case of how expensive they are to repair and how easy they are to wear out. If you can find one that hasn't been abused, it will be fine, but you won't know that.

If he likes the Ioniq, go for that.

He was coming round to the Golf when he spotted the comments on DSG which has sent him back to square one almost. Are they really that bad?

The thorny issue with any DCT box if bought second hand is how its been driven by previous owners. I've no doubt any of them (including Ford's Powershift) can be reliable if they haven't been abused. But with a £12k budget, it is going to be second hand, and as luxury is required, it is going to be old enough to have had 3 or more previous owners.

Have to say, I am curious as to what your brother thinks he will get on an imported Merc that he won't get on a UK car?

He's not really been able to quantify it to me (this is part of his condition, a lot of the time ive got to work out what's actually going on in his head) but from what I remember he was thinking "this is better spec than other cars" and that thought overrode all others. I've convinced him not to have an import now thankfully, though was still looking whistfully at A class Mercs even though he knows they're not so reliable.

A bit of an irony in this is that a few years ago, he was given a Golf as a courtesy car following a no-fault accident and I recall he absolutely loved it. But then, he was driving a Yaris at the time which he never did like. I think if he moves away from the ifea of "luxury" to "comfy", it might clarify his mind. We'll see!

Also curious as to what the problem with his CT200h was to put him right off hybrids?. Mainly because they are generally considered to be one of the most reliable cars you can buy, of any type or price. The CT200h, from what I have read, doesn't have great ride comfort, and the 1.8 hybrid powertrain on the whole (including the Toyota Prius, Auris and latterly the new Corolla) is best suited to a more relaxed driving style, but for reliability they are just about unbeatable.

Otherwise, the CT200h would certainly be a car I would have suggested along with the Prius and Auris (no chance of getting into a Corolla hybrid on a £12k budget).

It started rattling badly on startup and low speed but no-one knew why (no fault codes but lots of expensive theories). Not even Lexus dealer could diagnose the problem without ripping the thing apart and then only Lexus dealer were prepared to do it at a rather eye watering cost (not much change out of a grand and thats before they repair the thing, order parts etc). He got very frustrated at the differing opinions, lack of repairers willing to touch anything to do with the hybrid system and felt it more hassle than it was worth so got rid.

That's why he has an aversion to a hybrid. The warranties offered by Toyota for example he would go for, but at his budget, hybrids are quite close to the 10 year/100k limits already. Otherwise, he'd jump at another CT200, Auris or even a Prius. He wants to keep the car for life so would be happier using a reputable indy trader for repairs/servicing which I get.

As it is, he's now warming to a Mazda 6 as well as the infiniti q30 and q50 but is put off when he sees the fuel economy is not as good as he's used to (he'd spend at today's prices about £35 a week on fuel. He's paying around £60 per week now for fuel when borrowing my partners car so i can see his point but hes struggling with compromising). At least he's using his head and looking at costs for, e.g, replacement tyres, bulbs which I'm glad for.

I'll get him in something eventually, though it might be a coffin! Going to force him into a couple of cars over the weekend - hopefully he'll like one and the fuel efficiency issue will take a back seat...

Edited by RDavies on 12/04/2023 at 20:09

He's coming over to a Mazda! He's seen a couple of m3 2.0s - unsure if they're Skyactiv, and also he's spotted a couple of Mazda 2 1.5 skyactivs which he likes the look of and seem to be a bit more economical so he's looking more into to them. He's also come across a very low mileage 8 year old Nissan Pulsar but unsure how he's liking that one. I've finally got him out of his mental blocks so just need to keep him on track now.

Any recommendations with the different Mazdas - does the number (2,3,6) indicate a higher spec? Also, is the pulsar worth a look (1.2N connecta dig t xtronic)? He seems to like it but idon't want him to get bogged down looking at alternatives and confusing himself again.

Mazda 2 is circa Fiesta sized, Mazda 3 is circa Focus sized, Mazda 6 is circa Mondeo sized. With petrol engine, all three are very reliable and the auto used is a dependable t/c type.

The Pulsar?, very spacious and (AFAIK) reasonable reliability. But I think the auto is CVT, and the ones used by Nissan don't have a great reputation. Having done some looking into this, it does seem like a large portion of this reputation is down to how the car is driven and how regularly the transmission is changed. So while you may get lucky, ultimately we are in amongst the same problems as per DCT transmissions, i.e, how do you find out how previous owners drove the car?.

Good point, and thanks for this as its stopping my hair turning grey (you want to see him make a sunday roast - 8 hours it took him but admittedly it was one of the best ive had). I've had to leave him for a bit and he's gone off the Nissan, but opened up to the Honda Civics I read somewhere that there is a particular gear type to avoid in a Honda but can't find the article. I think the Civics he's looking at are 1.0 or 1.8 vtec with CVT, about 6 to 8 years old. He's getting there...slowly.

Good point, and thanks for this as its stopping my hair turning grey (you want to see him make a sunday roast - 8 hours it took him but admittedly it was one of the best ive had). I've had to leave him for a bit and he's gone off the Nissan, but opened up to the Honda Civics I read somewhere that there is a particular gear type to avoid in a Honda but can't find the article. I think the Civics he's looking at are 1.0 or 1.8 vtec with CVT, about 6 to 8 years old. He's getting there...slowly.

An automatic Civic of 6 years old could be either a late 9th gen car, in which case the auto will be the hugely reliable n/a 1.8 coupled with the equally reliable t/c auto.

But it could also be an early 10th gen car, that did have the option of a 1.0 turbo mated to a CVT. AFAIK both engine and transmission are reliable, but (and its a big one!), when the drive belt needs doing, it is a hugely expensive job (I'm sure someone on the forum mentioned £1800). The 10th gen Civic also had the option of a more powerful 1.5 turbo (also mated to a CVT) which (AFAIK) is chain drive.

I prefer the style of the older 9th gen version myself though, so I'd be going with the well proven older powertrain.

how regularly the transmission is changed.

This should read "transmission fluid"

Doh!

Edited by badbusdriver on 13/04/2023 at 20:40

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - Engineer Andy

how regularly the transmission is changed.

This should read "transmission fluid"

Doh!

That error might apply to people owning cars with certain dual clutch gearboxes using them for slow speed urban driving?

"""He was coming round to the Golf when he spotted the comments on DSG which has sent him back to square one almost. Are they really that bad? It was Andrew Brady who suggested the Golf.""

In our family in the last 10 years we have had 3 golfs an S3 an A! and 2 Skoda Octavia VRS all with a DSG gearbox. We have had no trouble at all with these cars and certainly no DSG gearbox issues. The dsg gearbox is a joy to drive and if you can find a good golf should be a reliable and nice car.

Perhaps, but how many did you own from new? For £12k, the OP will likely be getting a car that has at least had one if not two owners, and thus the likelihood of future problems increases with the age and number of owners - on average, because you rarely, if ever know how previous owners drove them, and thus the condition of the dual clutch unit.

That's not to say that any DSG-equipped second hand car will have problems, but it is rather a lottery unless you know the previous owners and their driving style / pattern (type of journey - urban, etc, etc).

'Automatic' gearboxes with a proven track record of reliability, such as the Toyota/Lexus CVT and most torque converter (TC) ones - and probably most made or based on designs by Aisin, plus a few others (Mazdas don't seem to have any issues) are far more likely to be reliable longer term via several owners, whatever their driving style or pattern, as long as the car generally well-maintained.

That being said, and unfortnately for the OP, TC auto boxes will cross all of those with them off their list - even modern ones, because none I can think of get anywhere near 60mpg. 50mpg, maybe.

I'm surprised that the OP's brother has had (expensive) issues with their Lexus - they are amongst the most reliable and efficient cars on the road (if rather dull to drive), especially the CT200h. If it were me, as long as their existing car was structurally sound, then I'd spend far less than that £12k budget putting any of its faults right and putting the remainder aside somewhere earning interest at the moment in readiness for a car 5 years down the line.

Hopefully by then they would've saved a lot more and ICE car prices might be off the 33% bump they are now. Not a good time to be buying a car as regards value for money - new or second hand. It's one of the reasons I'm currently sticking with my 17yo Mazda3.

"""n our family in the last 10 years we have had 3 golfs an S3 an A! and 2 Skoda Octavia VRS all with a DSG gearbox. We have had no trouble at all with these cars and certainly no DSG gearbox issues. The dsg gearbox is a joy to drive and if you can find a good golf should be a reliable and nice car."""

Their is a great tendency to overthink cars. The belief that they are going to breakdown on you is largely untrue particularly on modern cars. All bar one of the cars mentioned were/ are Cat D or Cat N private purchases and the VW group because they are mass market. The normal car is a VRS owned by the youngest who has a car allowance with his job and his employer is fussy on what he drives. My wife is currently happy with her Cat S Mini 1.5sport auto with all the toys. All bought at a fraction of the retail price in a garage. I admit that their value is only Cat car money but find no problem selling them on privately. You get a younger more modern car for your money and insurance on cat cars is not a problem as you do not have to declare the cat as the insurance is aware what the status is. You can buy cat cars with low mileage and manufacturers warranty. The Cat rating only means that the insurance decided not to repair, there are plenty of skilled body repair people repairing cars at a fraction of the cost that the insurance demand. It is a car at the end of the day View it, drive it, get as much info as you can and negotiate

"""n our family in the last 10 years we have had 3 golfs an S3 an A! and 2 Skoda Octavia VRS all with a DSG gearbox. We have had no trouble at all with these cars and certainly no DSG gearbox issues. The dsg gearbox is a joy to drive and if you can find a good golf should be a reliable and nice car."""

Their is a great tendency to overthink cars. The belief that they are going to breakdown on you is largely untrue particularly on modern cars. All bar one of the cars mentioned were/ are Cat D or Cat N private purchases and the VW group because they are mass market. The normal car is a VRS owned by the youngest who has a car allowance with his job and his employer is fussy on what he drives. My wife is currently happy with her Cat S Mini 1.5sport auto with all the toys. All bought at a fraction of the retail price in a garage. I admit that their value is only Cat car money but find no problem selling them on privately. You get a younger more modern car for your money and insurance on cat cars is not a problem as you do not have to declare the cat as the insurance is aware what the status is. You can buy cat cars with low mileage and manufacturers warranty. The Cat rating only means that the insurance decided not to repair, there are plenty of skilled body repair people repairing cars at a fraction of the cost that the insurance demand. It is a car at the end of the day View it, drive it, get as much info as you can and negotiate

While there may be a tendency to overthink cars, that is surely better than under-thinking Tham. Buying an insurance write off is fair enough if you are prepared to play Russian roulette with your safety, I'm not!.

Cat S includes structural damage including collapsed crumple zones. Which means if you are in an accident, your safety, potentially your life, depends on the car having been repaired properly.

Even D and N is risky IMO (unless you have repaired the car yourself and know what you are doing), which may not involve structural damage, but does include braking and steering systems.

Each to their own, but I'd much rather have a good older than a younger car which has the potential to be a death trap. During day to day use, you may find out (without having an accident) that the steering or brakes on a Cat D or N may be wonky, but on the Cat S, you are only going to find out if the car has been repaired properly after you have had an accident.

"""Cat S includes structural damage including collapsed crumple zones. Which means if you are in an accident, your safety, potentially your life, depends on the car having been repaired properly."""

Agree, There are plenty of cars out there that border on a cat N or S depending on the engineer assessing them. Nether the less seriously compromised cars are totally W/O as cat B. Just because a insurance company does not undertake a repair does not make a car less safe. Indeed there are plenty of cars on the road that have been repaired by insurance that buyers have no idea that they have been repaired

""""Even D and N is risky IMO (unless you have repaired the car yourself and know what you are doing), which may not involve structural damage, but does include braking and steering systems."""

Sorry but I strongly disagree with this statement. Why are body shops who repair cars less competent than insurance repairers .They deal with major steering suspension Airbags and braking systems Indeed some insurers let you choose your repairer on some damage claims. I have also bought cars direct from the salvage company and had my trusted body shop repair a car having helped source some of the parts myself. Car buyers are welcome to spend their money in perhaps a more conventional way giving thousands of pounds profit to dealers and their often dodgy warranties. The same goes for giving away your trade in to dealers.

It is extremely rare these days to have a crash investigator give the cause of a crash as to a badly repaired or badly maintained car

Why are body shops who repair cars less competent than insurance repairers .

A bodyshop repairing cars for insurance companies are being paid to put the car back into its original condition. This is a lucrative line of work, so in order to keep the work coming, they are much less likely to cut corners.

A bodyshop repairing cars which are not insurance repairs are going to be doing so for no other reason than to make money. They are buying up damaged cars, fixing them up for as little money as is possible and selling them on for as much money as they can get away with. And there is lots of money to be made, especially if the car inquisition is a desirable one. Which in turn means there is the temptation for some of these bodyshops to cut corners in order to increase their profit.

Totally different to the situation with an insurance repair.

I have also bought cars direct from the salvage company and had my trusted body shop repair a car having helped source some of the parts myself.

That again is a totally different situation to simply advocating someone on a tight budget buy an insurance write off. If you have a well known and well respected bodyshop which you trust, fair do's. I still wouldn't in the case of a Cat S though as I don't see how a car could be repaired to the standards of a new one re crash protection.

It is extremely rare these days to have a crash investigator give the cause of a crash as to a badly repaired or badly maintained car

I didn't suggest a poorly repaired car was more likely to have a crash. What I was implying is that in the event of an accident, the driver and any other occupants of a poorly repaired car (vs a car which isn't a write off repaired and sold on for profit) will come off much worse.

Like I said, each to their own. But there is no way I'd take that sort of risk just to have a newer car than I could afford otherwise.

He could have done, but didn't- sadly I was away around the time and couldnt guide him. Turns out the likely cost of repairs, from what I've read of the possible causes, wouldn't leave him much change from £6k (which he didn't have anyway). He was apparently, simply extremely unlucky to have this happen to him. But it's a moot point now.

Just to explain, my brother has a neurological condition. When it comes to personal matters (such as choosing a car, a phone, clothes etc), he can get very fixated on individual issues to the point of obsession (he once spent 2 days deciding what coat to buy and once visited all the clothes shops in three different cities before deciding on one). He generally does make very good choices (eventually) but with cars the vast variety confuses him no end. I'm trying to help him select one by keeping his mind focused on what he actually wants (for example, he turned down a car because of the cost of tyres, so I had to point out he happily spent the same amount on tyres for his previous car, so thats no longer an issue - trying to target the rest of them).

Sadly, I'm not a car person (I'll just buy the first car I see within budget that looks ok) so I'm here for advice from you lovely people who have been so kind in assisting. Please don't think my brother is being picky or fussy - he's just struggling understanding what meets his needs and rationalising his thoughts to mke sure he makes the right decision for himself but gets extremely bogged down doing so. Anyway....

He's liking a Mazda6 2.2 skyactiv d sport (67 plate, 60k), preferring this over the 2.0 SE-L on grounds of mpg only it seems. He's also seeing quite a few Mazda2 1.5 skyactiv G SE L which are more available in the area and more within his budget. Besides size and what i think looks a better interior on the Mazda6, what generally would he be missing out on (or gaining) if he took the Mazda 2 over the Mazda 6? Thanks again to everyone for their comments and help. I'll have to go through all of this with the Hondas next probably (sobs)

He's liking a Mazda6 2.2 skyactiv d sport (67 plate, 60k), preferring this over the 2.0 SE-L on grounds of mpg only it seems. He's also seeing quite a few Mazda2 1.5 skyactiv G SE L which are more available in the area and more within his budget. Besides size and what i think looks a better interior on the Mazda6, what generally would he be missing out on (or gaining) if he took the Mazda 2 over the Mazda 6? Thanks again to everyone for their comments and help. I'll have to go through all of this with the Hondas next probably (sobs)

The Mazda 2.2 diesel has a pretty terrible reputation for failures. This does seem to be mainly on cars which have done mainly short urban journeys. But as with others mentioned, how would you find out what kind of usage a 2nd hand car has had?.

The 2 is a lovely little car, but it is little (in terms of interior space), even next to other superminis. Also, going by what I've read, the ride is a little harsh (also said about the CT200h).

Badbusdriver driver, I'm so grateful to you!

Just observing him the past hour, he's really focused on a Mazda6 2.2 Skyactiv D sport Nav, 17 plate with 60k on the clock for £13k. He's doing his homework and it seems to be hitting all the right spots though he is wary of the mileage

Does this sound like a decent choice?

Sorry, I misread your post on failures of the 2.2. Might be time to burst his bubble :( he was happy driving the lexus so hopefully the mazda2 will be acceptable, though he does moan at the noise and roughness of my partner's Audi...

Think I'm just going to drag him out tomorrow, put him in a 6 2.0 and a mazda 2 and see what £4k or £5k means to him

I don’t think you’ve said what he uses the car for? The Mazda 2 and 6 are good cars but in very different classes. The 2 is a small hatchback, tight for rear passengers and with a small boot. It’s best around town but OK for occasional longer trips. The 6 is a large car best suited to the motorway, with more passenger and boot room and not the best for nipping round town. I am generalising of course as either car can be used on any road but I am sure you see my point. The 2 is certainly not luxury-ish, the 6 is closer to the luxury end.
If he wants a compromise a 3 might be better.

Whatever he chooses to buy steer him away from a diesel with the budget that he is contemplating.

Whatever he chooses to buy steer him away from a diesel with the budget that he is contemplating.

Thanks Sammy, would you mind expanding on the reason? It'll hopefully help him focus his thoughts (though he wiill have some questions)

This is part of the problem. His commute is 50/50 motorway and A/B roads. He'll very rarely have passengers if ever, so a small size will do him. But... he spends *a lot* of time in his car, more than he spends at home sometimes, hence the luxury bit. He's OK with a 'boring' ride, prefers smooth and quiet (that was his one main bone of contention with the lexus from what I can tell). Problem with the mazda3, from his perspective, is that of the ones he can afford and don't have high mileage, the mpg is too low compared to the M6 2.2 and for him there's nothing there to make up for it. Then there's the availability... quite a few Mazda 2 cars around and he may be willing to forgo "luxury" for comfort which I think is what he really means.

He's read Badbusdrivers comments on the problems with the 2.2 and followwdbthem up so is now looking at the Infiniti Q30 and will probably be doing so when i get up in the morning.... otherwise hed be planning a test drive in the 2.2....

Has he considered a Toyota IQ?

Has he considered a Toyota IQ?

Waaay too small (he does carry some equipment with him for work). Also, its' looks actually disturbed him (don't ask, it'd take too long to explain), so it's a no but thanks for suggesting

“ He's liking a Mazda6 2.2 skyactiv d sport (67 plate, 60k), preferring this over the 2.0 SE-L on grounds of mpg only it seems.”

How many miles does he typically cover in a year?

Going by his service records and MOTs, it's currently about 11k. Pre covid, more likely 16k to 20k so he might get back to that. His daily commute is about 20 miles each way, half motorway, half a/b roads. 2 x 4 mile each way trips to town each week, about 2 or 3 30 mile each way jollies each way a month.

Going by his service records and MOTs, it's currently about 11k. Pre covid, more likely 16k to 20k so he might get back to that. His daily commute is about 20 miles each way, half motorway, half a/b roads. 2 x 4 mile each way trips to town each week, about 2 or 3 30 mile each way jollies each way a month.

A low annual mileage of 11k would normally be considered to justify the usage of diesel. The price of diesel at the moment is high and generally any problems with an older diesel is more costly than a petrol. Overall the thoughts of a Golf or A3 petrol seems the best option A 1.4 dsg should deliver 45mpg plus easily on his commute.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - Metropolis.
Im not sure the amount of miles done overall (within reason) is as important as how those miles are done. 40 miles a day on fast roads is quite good I think.

I do think they need to lower the mpg expectations though. Lowering to even 40mpg would open up much more possibilities.

Thanks for the input. He originally was wanting a golf til it was suggested they're a bad choice for his budget. He does like the A3 (absolutely hates the A1) but is again concerned about dsg reliability (same with the Merc).

Where roughly do you live?

If I was hunting for a reasonably economical automatic used car this is probably what I’d be looking at. A bit more money takes him up a number of years and offers a low mileage car that’ll run reliably for many years. These are great things to drive and avoid all the reliability issues of modern diesels and small capacity petrol turbos often suffer from. It uses a conventional torque converter gearbox instead of an over-complex and less robust automated manual as many such cars use today and there’s no timing belt to worry about every five years or so.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303305774307

If economy is everything then this is how you do it reliably. Again these have no real reliability concerns at all. They’re not as nice to drive as the Mazda but you’ll see substantially better economy. There’s also the 1.2 turbo automatic which is worthy of consideration also. It’s not quite as good on fuel but your money will get a newer lower mileage example as there’s strong demand from the taxi trade for the 1.8 Hybrid. That said, this means the Hybrid will be in greater demand when he sells it on.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303305779073

Edited by SLO76 on 15/04/2023 at 10:47

Thanks SLO, we're in the North west England and there's not many Mazda 3s around here (he point black refuses to buy online or pay for a transfer). I am edging him towards an Auris Hybrid, but its his experiences with his Lexus hybrid that's putting him off. He would take the warranty offered but most cars are nearing the 10 Yr or 100k limit and hes worried what will happen when thats exceeded (he is planning on keeping the car for a good few years). I'll look around for him though.

Thankfully he's not after a 'fun' drive. He's really fixated with the mazda6 2.2 as its ticking most of his boxes, but somewhat disconcerted by reports of failures in the diesel variant (I'm ready to take him out to test one and try a couple of others a dealer has in stock). He did like the citreon DS5 but they're like rocking horse poop.

He's getting a bit frustrated at the mo as he's finding cars that meet his criteria and have good reviews but being put off at reports of failures or unreliability. Though he's stopped looking for the Golf's, Merc A classes or any other dsg gears, he's still talking about them. I feel bad for him as he's torturing himself, but that's what happens with his condition :(

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - Heidfirst

Thanks SLO, we're in the North west England and there's not many Mazda 3s around here (he point black refuses to buy online or pay for a transfer). I am edging him towards an Auris Hybrid, but its his experiences with his Lexus hybrid that's putting him off. He would take the warranty offered but most cars are nearing the 10 Yr or 100k limit and hes worried what will happen when thats exceeded (he is planning on keeping the car for a good few years).

Well, in that case he would be out of manufacturer warranty (the main hybrid battery is covered for up to 15 years & the body for 12) - which tbh is where he would be with another make of car so no worse off.

& the basic suspension, engine & transmission system are very reliable (hence why in demand from taxi trade). As hybrids/EVs become more & more common, more & more garages will work on them.

As for a Mazda 2.2D, just say No! A 6 petrol, fine - but it won't do the mpg.

Edited by Heidfirst on 15/04/2023 at 14:18

Cheers for that. Just dragging him round a showroom now and the 3 cars he wanted to look at aren't actually here despite telephone confirmation they were. He wants to look at a 17 plate civic 1.0 vtech turbo se cvt that they allegedly have. Fingers crossed....

Cheers for that. Just dragging him round a showroom now and the 3 cars he wanted to look at aren't actually here despite telephone confirmation they were. He wants to look at a 17 plate civic 1.0 vtech turbo se cvt that they allegedly have. Fingers crossed....

Not one I’d have. Honda dealers are quoting a ludicrous £1700 to do the unnecessarily complex timing belt replacement. I fail to see the point of a belt in bath design if it doesn’t extend the life of the belt substantially. The cost suggests that it was never designed with changing in mind, this will be tested to destruction as few will pay the daft money they’re asking. Would you trust one that’s years overdue a timing belt? There’s also still a question mark over the durability of Honda’s CVT box. I’m not a fan of the way CVT’s drive.

Well, in that case he would be out of manufacturer warranty (the main hybrid battery is covered for up to 15 years & the body for 12) - which tbh is where he would be with another make of car so no worse off.

But with non hybrid cars, there's a lot more options in terms of garages. Extremely few for hybrids if the problem has anything to do with the hybrid system, and far more expensive.

Bit of a frustration at FoW as the Mazdas weren't there. He did get to sit in the Civic 1.0 and it was a bit too big for him so at least he's happy knocking off a few other vehicles off the list. Given shortage of Mazdas in the area, he's going to try an Infinity Q30.

He wants to look at a 17 plate civic 1.0 vtech turbo se cvt that they allegedly have. Fingers crossed....

I went over why he should not buy a Civic 1.0 turbo earlier on. If he can't stretch to a 1.5 turbo of that era of Civic (which, AFAIK, are chain driven), forget it. The previous shape Civic with the na 1.8 and t/c auto is fine though, very reliable.

I see Infiniti Q30 has been suggested. The Review on this site’s home page awards it the lowest score I’ve ever seen on the site at 1 out of 5. Oh dear.
Although they are a sub brand of Nissan new Infiniti cars are no longer sold in UK or the rest of Europe.
Salesmen will probably give some assurance about spares support for 10 years but given spares issues occur for even current mainstream models I would consider it a major risk. It’s value will likely plummet once the car market returns to something approaching normal.

Avoid.

Edited by catsdad on 15/04/2023 at 16:20

Ah, I didn't realise it was discontinued, thanks. He's not so concerned with resale value as he's going to keep it for some time, hopefully

He wants to look at a 17 plate civic 1.0 vtech turbo se cvt that they allegedly have. Fingers crossed....

I went over why he should not buy a Civic 1.0 turbo earlier on. If he can't stretch to a 1.5 turbo of that era of Civic (which, AFAIK, are chain driven), forget it. The previous shape Civic with the na 1.8 and t/c auto is fine though, very reliable.

Apologies, he wanted to convince himself, which he has. Also ruled out a few other cars based on size.

I see Infiniti Q30 has been suggested. The Review on this site’s home page awards it the lowest score I’ve ever seen on the site at 1 out of 5. Oh dear.
Although they are a sub brand of Nissan new Infiniti cars are no longer sold in UK or the rest of Europe.
Salesmen will probably give some assurance about spares support for 10 years but given spares issues occur for even current mainstream models I would consider it a major risk. It’s value will likely plummet once the car market returns to something approaching normal.

Avoid.

What the motoring press want out of a car is not necessarily what a buyer is looking for, so I wouldn't dismiss any car based solely on that (though other motoring press road tests do rate it higher). Owners reviews (not that there are many) rate it around 4.2 out of 5.

At some point there may be issues getting some body and interior trim parts, but as the Q30 wasn't withdrawn till 2018/9, I can't see that being an issue for at least a decade. The Q30 sits on the same platform as the Merc A Class and uses the same running gear (mostly Merc plus the venerable 1.5 Renault diesel), so I can't see any likelihood of not being able to get mechanical parts either.

Having said that, I don't believe for a minute that any Q30 would be as reliable as a CT200h (also disliked by most of the motoring press)

But with non hybrid cars, there's a lot more options in terms of garages. Extremely few for hybrids if the problem has anything to do with the hybrid system, and far more expensive.

Bit of a frustration at FoW as the Mazdas weren't there. He did get to sit in the Civic 1.0 and it was a bit too big for him so at least he's happy knocking off a few other vehicles off the list. Given shortage of Mazdas in the area, he's going to try an Infinity Q30.

If there's a shortage of Mazdas, how many Infinitys is he going to find? I suspect the 'shortage' of Mazda cars is more that most diesels have been palmed off now and most petrols, whilst not the quickest of best on mpg, are (like most non-rotary Mazda petrol engined cars) well liked and most owners (like yours truly) hold on to them. that and because they handle very well. My 3 still does and its 17 years old.

The 6 is a great looking car - even with the latest Mazda3 being very pretty, the 6 is still the best in that department in the range, especially after the interior was significantly improved to the same style as the current CX-5 etc mid way through its life (the 6 now not sold new in the UK).

Worth the effort trying to find one.

Right, after yesterday I've sat him down and had a good long talk about what he's seen. He's now accepting he won't get the MPG he wants without some compromise. I've also gone through his budget and the daft sod has increased most of his outgoings by almost half "just in case", so he actually has a fair bit more to spend than he thought.

He's going to see if he can get a newer lower mileage Auris, but meanwhile has seen a 69 plate Mazda3 skyactiv 2.0 (petrol) G Lux which were going to view tomorrow (plus there's a 6 version as well, but he thinks it may be too big for him after seeing the size of some cars yesterday).

As for Fords of Winsford.... half the cars looked like they'd been lived in by Worzel Gummidge, at least two had flat tyres and about a third didn't have the QR stickers on (pretty sure they're supposed to have an actual price but heyho). Cars were not on site when they said they were, they couldn't find one car that was supposedly there and for another they couldn't find the keys. Pretty shambolic really.

Edited by RDavies on 16/04/2023 at 12:59

Right, after yesterday I've sat him down and had a good long talk about what he's seen. He's now accepting he won't get the MPG he wants without some compromise. I've also gone through his budget and the daft sod has increased most of his outgoings by almost half "just in case", so he actually has a fair bit more to spend than he thought.

He's going to see if he can get a newer lower mileage Auris, but meanwhile has seen a 69 plate Mazda3 skyactiv 2.0 (petrol) G Lux which were going to view tomorrow (plus there's a 6 version as well, but he thinks it may be too big for him after seeing the size of some cars yesterday).

As for Fords of Winsford.... half the cars looked like they'd been lived in by Worzel Gummidge, at least two had flat tyres and about a third didn't have the QR stickers on (pretty sure they're supposed to have an actual price but heyho). Cars were not on site when they said they were, they couldn't find one car that was supposedly there and for another they couldn't find the keys. Pretty shambolic really.

He won't go far wrong with a petrol auto Mazda 3 or 6 (mind you, I'd have said the same re the CT200h in terms of reliability). There isn't actually as big a difference in size as it might appear, possibly a trick of the styling department to make the 6 look sleeker along with it being both lower and wider. But in reality, the extra 40cm of length represents less a difference of less than 10% over the 3.

Yes, the presentation of cars and the general professionalism of some dealers can leave a lot to be desired.

Cheers. Just passed a dealership that had a mazda 3, it's an MHEV which I understand to be mild hybrid. Is this one to be avoided? He absolutely loves the car btw!

Cheers. Just passed a dealership that had a mazda 3, it's an MHEV which I understand to be mild hybrid. Is this one to be avoided? He absolutely loves the car btw!

Nope. All good.

Oooh

Stuck between a 21 plate with 9k for £21k or a slightly older one with 40k on clock for 6 grand less...he's pushing his limits with the newer one

Personally, I'd take the cheaper one. I am not one to live on the edge.

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - Heidfirst

Oooh

Stuck between a 21 plate with 9k for £21k or a slightly older one with 40k on clock for 6 grand less...he's pushing his limits with the newer one

If he can afford those he could get into a corolla hybrid - it's a newer platform than the ct200h or auris & a big improvement. Pretty sure that the Mazda 3 won't get even close to the same mpg that the corolla hybrid will.

Edited by Heidfirst on 17/04/2023 at 13:47

Oooh

If he can afford those he could get into a corolla hybrid - it's a newer platform than the ct200h or auris & a big improvement. Pretty sure that the Mazda 3 won't get even close to the same mpg that the corolla hybrid will.

It's a decent car (I would consider one, especially for the reliability and the supposedly excellent ride quality) and is a much better looking and driving car than its predecessor, but IMHO the (4th gen) Mazda is a much better driver's car on the handling front and is a step up again in the styling dept.

With the mpg, I suppose it depends upon whether most of the OP's brother's driving is urban or not, as the hybrid engine's big advantage in town isn't anywhere near as much on faster flowing roads and motorways. The 2L version is, I think, a decent improvement over the 1.8L, but you're paying quite a bit more to get one, about 5-10% more than the equivalent Mazda3 (2L SA-X).

Still, more than worth a look if they can find one (a 2L Corolla). I prefer the estate version for practicality.

Oooh

It's a decent car (I would consider one, especially for the reliability and the supposedly excellent ride quality) and is a much better looking and driving car than its predecessor, but IMHO the (4th gen) Mazda is a much better driver's car on the handling front and is a step up again in the styling dept.

With the mpg, I suppose it depends upon whether most of the OP's brother's driving is urban or not, as the hybrid engine's big advantage in town isn't anywhere near as much on faster flowing roads and motorways. The 2L version is, I think, a decent improvement over the 1.8L, but you're paying quite a bit more to get one, about 5-10% more than the equivalent Mazda3 (2L SA-X).

Still, more than worth a look if they can find one (a 2L Corolla). I prefer the estate version for practicality.

I have a customer who went from a (3rd gen) Mazda 2 to a current shape Mazda 3 (hatchback). There is something about the rear sides that doesn't work for me, too much bodywork and not enough window. Looks great from the front and front quarter though, and I was impressed by the sensibly sized (205/60 x 16) tyres.

Oooh

I have a customer who went from a (3rd gen) Mazda 2 to a current shape Mazda 3 (hatchback). There is something about the rear sides that doesn't work for me, too much bodywork and not enough window. Looks great from the front and front quarter though, and I was impressed by the sensibly sized (205/60 x 16) tyres.

The hatch has a very 'Alfa Romeo' look to it, especially the rear / quarter view. The rear visibility on the hatch (large C pillar) isn't great, but then most cars these days have poor rear visibility, probably why so many 'have' to come with parking sensors / cameras (£ker-ching!).

TBH its why I would be seriously cosnidering the CX-30 myself even though I love the exterior styling more for the 3 hatch and especially saloon, as it combines the best elements of both in terms of practicality and ergonomics, albeit costing a Grand more and not quite matching the handling and performance due to its elevated stance.

Those 16in tyres with 123mm high sidewalls (there may be a 215/60 R16 version for it or the CX-30) are a decent compromise between the 205/55 R16s and 195/65 R15s my old thing can have and stil look fine.

I think they went that route to reduce the cost of variant testing (two tyre variants instead of 3 before) on the emissions / MPG, and it doesn't appear to affect handling in any significant way by all accounts, compared to those shod on 18in tyres.

It's fine - though you need to differentiate bewteen the two types of latest gen Mazda3 petrols:

1. The 'standard' Skyactiv-G (at 120PS []power output]), which is a non-turbocharged direct injection engine and generally well proven, if not exactly quick on the latest (4th generation) Mazda3. The gen-3 car has a very similar engine, just without the 'mid hybrid' element that 'powers' the car's electrics on the gen-4 cars and improves the mpg / emissions to a small degree.

The gen-3 car had a 0-60 official time of around 8.9 sec for the manual, the gen-4 car around 10.2 sec. From some accounts in the real world, you may find they aren't anywhere near as 'different' and maybe around 9.5 sec to 60. The (TC) auto version comes in at about 10.5 - 11 sec to 60 - smooth, just not that quick, but fine for everyday driving for most people.

Real world mpg at about mid 40s for the manual and around 40 for the auto.

IMHO stick to mid-spec (trim) SE-L (Nav) (including the Lux variant) shod on 16in rims and sensible tyres rather than 18in rims and lower profile tyres - the ride is far better and as its a very good handling car anyway, the drive barely suffers on the smaller wheels.

2. The newer (since 2019) Skyactiv-X, which uses a unique 'diesel-like' tech to improve fuel economy and performance, though seemingly in the real world not as much as Mazda might have you believe. Again, no turbo, though I think it does have a supercharger that you won't notice. 180PS power. All are 'MHEV' mild hybrids doing the same function as the other engine type.

Official 0-60 time around 8.1sec for the manual and 8.5sec for the auto

MPG - roughly add on 10-15% on the Skyactiv-G versions, but ONLY if you drive them the in the same manner!

Thus far, no glaring reliability issues with the engine design, but it is unique and only 4 years into production. Still, I would certainly consider one myself (and would buy one or the CX-30 equivalent) had I the money (Mazda3 4-door saloon / CX-30 5dr hatch Skyactiv-X SE-L / Lux Auto). Stylish looks inside and out.

Likely with your brother's budget, he won't be able to afford a gen-4 car unless buying via some 'payment plan' (be careful) rather than 'cash'. The gen-3 cars are fine, not IMHO as good looking as the latest version.

Note that the saloons (fastback) are better looking, but quite rare, have less trim variants and (as I discovered for my own gen-1 saloon car, a limited boot aperture - not a problem for suitcases (the boot is around 50L or so bigger than the hatch) but gettiong large boxes in can sometimes be impossible!

The hatch's boot is ok on size, but note that the gen-3 and 4 cars have raised boots floors (unlike my car) less less heigh available, even more so if a space-saver wheel and tyre is fitted (not standard and last time I checked, cost £400) as the floor needs to be raised to accommodate it. Note that trim variants with 4WD and/or top spec audio often have no ability to add a spare wheel/tyre, making the owner rely on the useless 'tube of goo'.

It's why if I bought a new one (gen-4 car), I would stick to the fastback/saloon or better still, buy a CX-30, which has a boot much closer to the size of the fastback/saloon of the Mazda3 but with a useful hatchback opening. Gen-4 mazda3s or CX-30s are NOT cheap - new or second hand.

I realise your brother likes hig spec / luxury versions, but the SE-L type cars are generally well-equipped (both gen-3 and 4) and good value in comparison to the 'Sport' models. Harder to find, as most sold are Sport trim models and shod on 18in rims. You may be (if you REALLY want one) able to downsize the OEM 18in rims/tyres to 16in (check to see if they can fit over the brakes - I think they should even on Sport models), but there will be a cost to change except on brand new, factory ordered cars.

Hopefully this will be of some iuse to you both.

We have a winner! He's bought the newer Mazda and he's happy as a pig in muck. Settled into it really quickly and already seems as if he's been driving it for years -definitely a good decision for him. True, he might have got a better car for the same money, but if he was exposed to more choice hed get worked up and he'd never buy a car - It was hard enough getting him this far (I need a drink...). As it is he's now genuinely content with the choice and isn't looking back.

Got to say, the car is extremely impressive - might get one myself! Not so impressed with the dealer over some matters, I'll be speaking with head office and Mazda tomorrow about some issues that arose.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice, it's very much appreciated.

Well done both of you. Mazda dealers aren't the best, but at least they're not VW or BMW

So often threads from newcomers just peter out. It’s good to see one rounded off and reach a conclusion. Good luck with the purchase.

Was it the newer one or the older one though?

A cheap to run luxury(ish) car? Tough one... - Crickleymal

Was it the newer one or the older one though?

"We have a winner! He's bought the newer Mazda and he's happy as a pig in muck. "

We have a winner! He's bought the newer Mazda and he's happy as a pig in muck. Settled into it really quickly and already seems as if he's been driving it for years -definitely a good decision for him. True, he might have got a better car for the same money, but if he was exposed to more choice hed get worked up and he'd never buy a car - It was hard enough getting him this far (I need a drink...). As it is he's now genuinely content with the choice and isn't looking back.

Got to say, the car is extremely impressive - might get one myself! Not so impressed with the dealer over some matters, I'll be speaking with head office and Mazda tomorrow about some issues that arose.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice, it's very much appreciated.

One the problems with Mazda IMHO - like with a good number of Euro and US makes, the main dealership quality varies quite a bit. He needs to find a decent one (some are excellent) he can use for servicing etc.

Our owners' forum site unfortunately isn't so well used any more (sadly more common across most makes of car aside the modded variety), but you might feel it worth them joining to ask questions, look at any resource info, get tips and opinions upon who may be a decent dealership within their reach and who may not be.

Just don't get too enthused as its a bit quiet there nowadays (it used to be far busier 5-10 years ago), so responses may take a while:

www.mazda3forums.co.uk/

Free to join, just like here. They can even take and upload a photo of their shiny new thing for their avatar.

“ We have a winner! He's bought the newer Mazda and he's happy as a pig in muck”

Good choice. Good to drive, good on fuel and reliable too. No worries here.

Just thought I'd update on this. The car is now back at the dealership for the third time for battery drain issues. Cause is unknown - keys are well out of range and in a faraday box,, nothing left on or plugged in or connected yet almost every day without fail the car needs a jump start, even with a new battery. The car is driven almost daily and they're not short trips. I've had the car a couple of days myself to make sure it's nothing he's doing, and the same things are happening to me. Worse, twice the car has nearly caused an accident - once when it decided to do an emergency brake when a cyclist emerged from a side road well away from the car and another time when it decided to try and ram me into a parked car rather than let me straddle a lane marking (even though I'd indicated). It's by far the worst car I have seen and the technology on it is b***** dangerous.

He's regretting buying the thing now and I'm fighting his corner in getting the vehicle rejected. Mazda Assist have proven to be the absolute pits. The technicians who respond are OK, but the rest of the outfit is an absolute joke. Twice now he's been stuck at the dealership waiting for a courtesy car that Mazda said they'd arranged but hadn't, and when it was arranged, the either sent the wrong info to the hire company or sent it to the wrong branch and me or my partner have had to finish work early to pick him up after he'd been left waiting for 5 hours. When he did get a car (over a day later), it was an Aygo or Yaris. Bit of a comedown from a Mazda 3, but hey, at least they started and could be driven. The only reason it's not happened a third time is because my partner has not needed his car and has let my brother use it.

The one good thing that has come from all of this is his move away from the aesthetics of a car, so he'll be buying something more reliable and trustworthy. It certainly won't be a Mazda.

Edited by RDavies on 24/05/2023 at 07:16

Strange, outside of the known problems with the 2.2 Skyactiv diesels I’ve never encountered a problem with any Mazda I’ve owned, sold or recommended until now. You’ve been unlucky, this car clearly has some sort of electrical or software issue and if the Mazda dealer themselves can’t solve it you should aim to return it for a refund. Don’t let it put you off Mazda, I know loads of people with modern Mazda’s and none complain of any issues with the crash avoidance systems or non-starting. Does go to show that even the most reliable models can go wrong, there’s just too much tech in them today.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/05/2023 at 23:05

Just thought I'd update on this. The car is now back at the dealership for the third time for battery drain issues. Cause is unknown - keys are well out of range and in a faraday box,, nothing left on or plugged in or connected yet almost every day without fail the car needs a jump start, even with a new battery. The car is driven almost daily and they're not short trips. I've had the car a couple of days myself to make sure it's nothing he's doing, and the same things are happening to me. Worse, twice the car has nearly caused an accident - once when it decided to do an emergency brake when a cyclist emerged from a side road well away from the car and another time when it decided to try and ram me into a parked car rather than let me straddle a lane marking (even though I'd indicated). It's by far the worst car I have seen and the technology on it is b***** dangerous.

He's regretting buying the thing now and I'm fighting his corner in getting the vehicle rejected. Mazda Assist have proven to be the absolute pits. The technicians who respond are OK, but the rest of the outfit is an absolute joke. Twice now he's been stuck at the dealership waiting for a courtesy car that Mazda said they'd arranged but hadn't, and when it was arranged, the either sent the wrong info to the hire company or sent it to the wrong branch and me or my partner have had to finish work early to pick him up after he'd been left waiting for 5 hours. When he did get a car (over a day later), it was an Aygo or Yaris. Bit of a comedown from a Mazda 3, but hey, at least they started and could be driven. The only reason it's not happened a third time is because my partner has not needed his car and has let my brother use it.

The one good thing that has come from all of this is his move away from the aesthetics of a car, so he'll be buying something more reliable and trustworthy. It certainly won't be a Mazda.

The problem is that lots of modern cars have niggling / anoying electrical / gadget faults (including so-called 'safety' systems) in comparison to the 'old school' faults cars had 15+ years ago that had far less of them and where those systems were not (in my view) rushed to market with reduced R&D). You could've had the same problem with almost any make and model of car - just bad luck.

The other issue, as I've said on this forum on numerous occasions and as a long-term Mazda car owner (17+ years and counting) is that the post-sales experience can vary widely, because the quality of dealerships vary a lot and (if you don't get any joy from them) Mazda HQ (UK) aren't that helpful either.

It's why you always need to do your homework prior to even thinking of purchasing a car - Mazda or otherwise - to check to see how well owners rate the main dealerships in your region (i.e. accessible to you) for post-sales customer care.

IMHO, there's no such thing as a make of car that has excelennt / very good main dealerships for post-sales care. Some, like Toyota / Lexus, Honda and Subaru, are generally regarded as the best of the bunch, but because dealerships are franchised, it depends on the quality of the franchisee almost as much as how well the UK arm of the manufacturer ensures post-sales customer care is decent.

If I realistically only had the choice of using one main dealer that was reasonably accessible and they were of poor quality, I would avoid that make of car - Mazda included. I've read similar complaints of new cars going wrong from all manner of makes - including those I listed as being at the top of reliability and customer care scores, just because of all that extra tech fitted.

It's why I will endeavour to buy a lower-mid spec car with the bare minimum of gadgets.