What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
N/a - Reflective window film - Scout246

I want to keep my car cool in the sun for driving with animals on board during the summer (the air con doesn't work and winding the windows isn't always enough) I have some reflective one way window film left over from a project (not marketed for car use) and wondered if it would be safe to apply this inside the rear window to reflect the sun? I think it's legal, from what I've read, for the back window at least, but I'm concerned about it dazzling other drivers.

Many thanks for any help

Edited by Scout246 on 07/04/2023 at 17:59

N/a - Reflective window film - badbusdriver

It definitely is not allowed on the windscreen and front side windows, but AFAIK is legal to use on rear and rear side windows.

Dazzling?, if your car has a properly vertical rear window it may cause problems. But the rear window on the majority of cars is sloped to varying degrees, so shouldn't be a problem for cars following. It may be a problem for truck or bus drivers though, depending on the angle of the rear window and the distance between them and you. Having said that, they should be on dipped beam if behind you, so maybe not such a problem?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 07/04/2023 at 18:30

N/a - Reflective window film - Andrew-T

<< ... if your car has a properly vertical rear window it may cause problems. But the rear window on the majority of cars is sloped to varying degrees, so shouldn't be a problem for cars following.

Depending where the sun is in the sky, if the reflection is strong enough it could affect almost any vehicle behind, just as driving east at sunset can be a nuisance in a rear-view mirror. But not much more than a plain window might do I suppose.

N/a - Reflective window film - edlithgow

Might be worth considering a slatted blind.

You used to see plastic (or glassfibre?) slatted mouldings on the outside of the sloping hatch windows of Ford Capri's, all very 70's stylee.

Would be useful here in Taiwan, but I've only seen one, on an unusually old BMW back window, last week.

Probably can't buy them now so you would have to make it.