What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
any - battery degradation, handy app - gordonbennet

Been having some starting issues with the Forester for a while, seemed like fuel starvation, changed the fuel pump, spark plugs were due so changed them too, it was cold starting troubles only, once started it would fire up instantly until the next cold start, car running perfectly otherwise.

As some of you know i start work early, a 3.15am start from my house is quite normal so it has to be reliable.

Last thing i assumed was battery issues, top line Yuasa roughly 4 years old, it came with a 5 year warranty but blowed if i can find the receipt or remember where it came from, voltmeter in car shows high charge rate from start gradually diminishing to the 13.9v level as the battery reaches full charge.

For a few weeks i've been running this monitor on my battery www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09MJ4PL72?psc=1&ref=ppx_y...s, it links by blootooth to your phone, its been sending me warnings about low voltage on cranking.

last cold start some 9.3 volts during cranking, not enough.

So, bit the bullet and ordered a new battery, as with the Landcruiser bought Exide Premium, arrived next day from Eurobatt, now the cold cranking is around the 10.7v mark and its starting like it used to....specs for both makes the same 65ah and 580cca.

Apart from the cold cranking issues the Yuasa now removed was charging properly and behaving normally, i'm just a little surprised and disappointed to find a Yuasa dying so quickly, normally upwards of 8 years has been my previous experience, Bosch equivalent i could only find with lower ah and cca.

any - battery degradation, handy app - skidpan

I have got one of the Yuasa 5000 range (5 year guarantee) on the Caterham and its 6 years old next month. The car is only used once a week on average during the summer months but over the winter the battery comes into the house and I put the conditioner on it every couple of months. Hope it lasts this summer out, conditioner reported no issues when I charged it the other day.

Battery before the Yuasa was a Exide Premium, treated exactly the same it lasted 7 years before failing suddenly despite appearing to be charging fine, interweb suggested sulphation issues. But that was charged using a 30 year old "smart" charger and since then I have bought the conditioner which is supposed to sort out any "sulphation" issues.

We shall see if its made any difference in time.

any - battery degradation, handy app - Xileno

I also have a Yuasa, currently one year old. Hopefully it will do more than four years as the previous Ford badged one did about eight.

I also have a Yuasa, currently one year old. Hopefully it will do more than four years as the previous Ford badged one did about eight.

I recall in the early 70's when we ran Transits, a new van and one could be expecteto see the 12 month makers warranty out and the battery die at the start of the following winter, happily things have improved since those days.

Never had any issues with Yuasa before and they were always my go to make, hopefully the one just replaced is a one off.

Yes a 5000 range here too Skidpan, regularly condition charged via a ' NOCO Genius' smart charger.

The Toyota genuine over the counter replacements on the Landcruiser lasted 7 years, allegedly Yuasa and i'd expected similar from this Yuasa on the Subaru, no trouble turning the engine over but the battery monitor device clearly showed low voltage available during cranking which as we know modern (2008 is modern for me :-) cars don't take kindly to.

I'm wary of batteries, previously had a CTEK smart charger which unbeknown to me died during one winter when our old MB was stood, should have put the battery in the garage and kept it on charge, expensive lesson learned, one almost new Varta Silver ruined through sulphation.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/04/2023 at 13:08

any - battery degradation, handy app - corax

It's the opinion of some people on the American Subaru forums that the battery is undersized for the car, considering the cold temperatures there. I had to change it on my old Forester, and the old one was five or six years old. A bit disappointing, as the battery on my Avensis was significantly bigger and lasted much longer.

Fair comment Corax, both the Yuasa and the Exide are the highest available AH and CCA figures for batteries available for the car, as you know there's no room for a bigger battery, possibly could have one an inch higher but no bigger footprint, i didn't investigate to see if there was one an inch higher, hopefully the new Exide will do the job.

any - battery degradation, handy app - RT

It's the opinion of some people on the American Subaru forums that the battery is undersized for the car, considering the cold temperatures there. I had to change it on my old Forester, and the old one was five or six years old. A bit disappointing, as the battery on my Avensis was significantly bigger and lasted much longer.

The OE Panasonic battery in my 2006 Subaru Outback started to fail during its 2nd winter - it's the worst battery I've had in 50+ years of motoring - the AC Delco and Delphi batteries fitted in my Vauxhalls and the Varta in my present VW Touareg have all done at least 8 years.

any - battery degradation, handy app - galileo

I replaced the 12 year old original battery in my Hyundai i30 when the odometer, speedo and rev counter displays went mad, apparentlydue to low voltage (but it had still started and ran OK).

RT, that's miserable effort from a brand that many people find make excellent home electronics.

Galileo, that's something approaching a record, 12 years is very impressive, i didn't have much to do with Hyundais in my former work but we transported many hundreds of the original Kia Ceed when they were launched, impressively put together underneath where most people don't see, it was obvious from that moment that Korean cars had taken the fight to established volume producers.

Just remembered, my '93 Landcruiser as is normal for the range had twin batteries fitted, they started to weaken at around 10 or 11 years old though never failed to proceed, i replaced them with Hella branded batteries, a battery brand i'd never seen before and not seen since, good brand in lighting etc, what became of the battery division anyone know?

any - battery degradation, handy app - skidpan

I replaced them with Hella branded batteries, a battery brand i'd never seen before and not seen since, good brand in lighting etc, what became of the battery division anyone know?

Probably just another brand with a Hella sticker on them.

any - battery degradation, handy app - Metropolis.
Looks like they still exist?

www.hella.com/hella-sg/en/Automotive-Batteries-150...l
Looks like they still exist? www.hella.com/hella-sg/en/Automotive-Batteries-150...l

So it would appear, haven't seen any availability in the UK, would be interesting if anyone does know where.