What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Family Car/SUV advice - bingobango

Had a 2017 Peugeot 3008 GT Line for over 3 years and while it was ok and lots to like, there were issues with the timing belt and some electrical problems and I think its time to move on.

My budget is about £25k max using my car as a trade in. I think I will probably stick to the SUV style (though I am tempted by some estates like the a6 Avant, E-class estate), but my missus likes the higher up driving position and I need to consider her needs too as well as having 2 kids.

I would want a slightly higher spec/interior trim since the GT Line was pretty good in that aspect, am looking 2019+. Reliability would be a factor, as well as cost to maintain. Be nice to have some warranty if possible. Maybe something slightly bigger than the 3008? I found the boot space lacking when trying to get a couple of large suitcases in.

Ideal features:

• keyless
  • rear/360 cameras
  • heated seats
  • Large screen display/Nav
  • Android auto (nice to have)
  • Digital Dash (nice to have)
  • Hybrid would be good
  • Not Diesel - we only drive shorter distances
  • Automatic lights
  • nice interior/seats

I am going round in circles on autotrader looking at:

VW Tiguan or Allspace (concerns about DSG gearboxes is it?)

Audi Q5 (wife choice, might have to go older for budget? Q7 too big and too dear)

Lexus RX or NX (unknown to me, is the NX the same size as the 3008 or bigger, RX too dear I think).

Seat Tarraco (really not sure about the look of this one, bit dull, cant bring myself to consider it)

Skoda Kodiaq (similar to the Tarraco and is it too big?)

Volvo XC60 (too dear).

Sorrento or Santa Fe?

Any help narrowing this down would be great. Anything I am missing?

New Family Car/SUV advice - Ian_SW

If you want a hybrid, another worthwhile choice would be a Toyota RAV4. The budget should just about get you into a current model one (2019).

I wouldn't bother with anything with an Audi or VW badge on - it will just be older than the mechanically very similar version with the Skoda or Seat badge on. Size wise, the equivalent to the 3008 would be the Skoda Karoq / Seat Ateca rather than the Kodiaq which is a 7 seater so might be worth looking at one of those too.

A possible slightly left field choice would be the Suzuki S-Cross. You could get a brand new one for that budget rather than a 4 year old VW or Audi, and it's not as basic as a Dacia (which would also be available brand new in budget).

New Family Car/SUV advice - badbusdriver

Reliability wise, the two Lexus are the best in your list hands down.

I would probably place the Hyundai Santa Fey and Kia Sorrento next.

Re the DSG box, all the VAG cars you have listed will use these, not just the VW's.

Thanks - in terms of size, are the sorrento and santa fe much bigger than the 3008?

What about the NX Lexus (or RX)?

New Family Car/SUV advice - Metropolis.
What a shame we dont get the GX and LX here, now those are some great family wagons.

Thanks - in terms of size, are the sorrento and santa fe much bigger than the 3008?

The Santa Fe and Sorrento are around 30cm (a foot) longer than a 3008. Same goes for the Skoda Kodiak and Seat Tarraco. As for the Lexus, the NX is around 20cm longer (than the 3008), the RX is about another 25cm longer still.

New Family Car/SUV advice - daveyK_UK
Get the Lexus

Seen a lot of "Get the Lexus" comments on this forum - is there a lot of Lexus reps on here? ;)

Will def be having a closer look at the Lexus, seems to fit the bill and if the car is slightly bigger and more boot space then it could be a winner.

Edit: The boot space on the Lexus is 475 litres compared to the 525 of the 3008.

Edited by bingobango on 24/03/2023 at 09:12

New Family Car/SUV advice - Adampr

Seen a lot of "Get the Lexus" comments on this forum - is there a lot of Lexus reps on here? ;)

Will def be having a closer look at the Lexus, seems to fit the bill and if the car is slightly bigger and more boot space then it could be a winner.

Edit: The boot space on the Lexus is 475 litres compared to the 525 of the 3008.

You did say you wanted high spec, reliability and low cost to maintain. That pretty much always means Japanese. If your priorities are different, reveal them and you will get.other answer.

For what it's worth, I have a Skoda Karoq. Interior quality is good and it drives beautifully for a car on stilts. It's certainly not Lexus-fancy, but the sportline comes with all the options you mentioned.

New Family Car/SUV advice - Heidfirst

If you are not bothered by badge then bear in mind that the Lexus will be based on a Toyota but with unique exterior & interior.

Either will be eligible for up to a 10 year warranty subject to mileage/dealer servicing etc.

New Family Car/SUV advice - John F

Maybe something slightly bigger than the 3008? I found the boot space lacking when trying to get a couple of large suitcases in.

VW Tiguan or Allspace (concerns about DSG gearboxes is it?)........

.........Sorrento or Santa Fe?

Any help narrowing this down would be great. Anything I am missing?

Peugeot 5008? (or its Citroen cousin). Nothing is too big if you have two children! The Aisin EAT6 gearbox is reliable.

Honestly owning the 3008 has put me off owning anything Peugeot for a while....

Honestly owning the 3008 has put me off owning anything Peugeot for a while....

I had a Corsa-e (208 in a less posh frock) for a couple of years and, whilst it was a fine car, it certainly had its quirks...

Thoughts on the XC60? Would upping my budget be a better option for a 2020 version,

Thoughts on the XC60? Would upping my budget be a better option for a 2020 version,

Don't mention XC60s!

Have you had a look at a Lexus, Toyota, Honda, Kia or Hyundai yet? Have you tried any of the VAG models at all?

There are two aspects to this; one is the whole comparing stats, looking at equipment lists and checking reliability thing. The other is actually driving them. Having gone through this process myself in the last year, I found that there is a massive variation particularly in SUVs. I drove some that I expected to be awful, but they were great, and vice versa. You might rule something out using cold logic (Renault Captur boot was way too small for me) but you'll never find something you like that way. I know that means going and talking to some pointy-shoed oik, but it's the only way.

In so far as it may have a few months of its 3 year warranty left?, yes.

But then again, assuming your budget was now £27.5k, that would get you into a 2022 Kia Sportage 1.6t with 6 of its 7 year warranty left.

It would also get you into a current shape Toyota RAV4 (hybrid) as young as 2021 with as much as 8 years warranty left.

The RAV4 would definitely be more reliable than the Volvo, and I'd expect the Sportage to be too.

I'm not sure why the Hyundai Tuscon is not on my list - I see it got a facelift around 2020 and the Premium and Ultimate trims look decent.

New Family Car/SUV advice - jacks

Ideal features:

• keyless
  • rear/360 cameras
  • heated seats
  • Hybrid would be good
  • Automatic lights
  • nice interior/seats

Mazda CX30 SE-L Lux trim, ticks all those boxes (it's a mild hybrid).

I've got one with the 2.0 Skyactive X engine which is the best engine. 42 mpg on mostly short or medium runs. Just booked the first annual service which came in at £194 so running costs are cheap.

The list price for a new one is around £25K so a used example should be within budget.

Edited by jacks on 28/03/2023 at 15:13

Ideal features:

• keyless
  • rear/360 cameras
  • heated seats
  • Hybrid would be good
  • Automatic lights
  • nice interior/seats

I've got one with the 2.0 Skyactive X engine which is the best engine. 42 mpg on mostly short or medium runs. Just booked the first annual service which came in at £194 so running costs are cheap.

The list price for a new one is around £25K so a used example should be within budget.

From the OP, right before the list of ideal features:

Maybe something slightly bigger than the 3008? I found the boot space lacking when trying to get a couple of large suitcases in.

3008 boot capacity - 520 litres, CX30 boot capacity - 430 litres

New Family Car/SUV advice - Engineer Andy

Ideal features:

• keyless
  • rear/360 cameras
  • heated seats
  • Hybrid would be good
  • Automatic lights
  • nice interior/seats

From the OP, right before the list of ideal features:

3008 boot capacity - 520 litres, CX30 boot capacity - 430 litres

And the OP can't fit two suitcases in a 530L boot? Are they some kind of giant? I can fit two that size and more in my 17yo Mazda3 saloon, which has only a 420L boot. To get an SUV with a boot bigger than 530L means you need a BIG car, and they don't come cheap.