What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Private plate transfer to new vehicle at garage - NAthan smith
Hi everyone
I’m picking up my new vehicle this weekend and part exchanging my current car which has a a private plate. Previously when I have sold my car I have always put my plate onto retention. However the guy at the garage said we can transfer my private plate onto my new vehicle? I’m assuming I will have to wait until I get the V5 through before I can actually stick my new plates onto the new car?
Thanks
Private plate transfer to new vehicle at garage - elekie&a/c doctor
It can be done on line . Form D 317 . DVLA . New plates can be used as soon as the transfer is completed

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 17/02/2023 at 16:12

So can I literally take plates off my old car at the garage and stick them in the new car there and then. Or do I have to wait for the new V5? How would it work ringing my insurance company as surely my priv plate would still be attached to the old car?
Once all the paperwork is completed on line , you will be the registered keeper of the new vehicle. The paper v5 will follow later . Tell your insurance what you are doing . It’s not difficult.
Thanks for your help, now cheer up you miserable git !
Will this be a new , new car or second hand purchase. ? Dealer will be very familiar with this procedure.
Private plate transfer to new vehicle at garage - Andrew-T
Will this be a new , new car or second hand purchase. ? Dealer will be very familiar with this procedure.

Presumably the dealer will prefer to fit new plates with his own brand name at the bottom, rather than used ones (unless the dealer is the same of course) ?

It’s a smallish garage so isn’t thin they will be that bothered. I like to keep my original plates done nearly 100,000k with them now!
Private plate transfer to new vehicle at garage - Heidfirst

are they compliant with the latest regulations on number plate construction? e.g. do they conform to & display BS AU 145e?

Edited by Heidfirst on 18/02/2023 at 20:36