What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Some YT Petrolhead fodder! - badbusdriver

Came upon this in-car footage of a Lola T70 qualifying lap at Spa. Particularly impressed at the drivers bravery passing another car up the hill from Eau Rouge, because he appears to leave the track!.

watch

That led me to this short trackside clip demonstrating the insane scream of the Mazda 787B

watch

Which in turn led me to this onboard footage of the BRM V16 (1.5 litre!) doing a run up Shelsley Walsh.

watch

Turn the volume up and enjoy!

Some YT Petrolhead fodder! - craig-pd130

Ooooh, thanks for those. Raised the hairs on the back of my neck :-)

I do love in-car footage from classic racing, seeing the cars teetering on the limit of grip and drivers sawing away at the wheel while stabbing the loud pedal!

Some YT Petrolhead fodder! - mcb100
It’s quite an old video, but compare the steering wheel angle with the direction the circuit goes. That’s a well balanced 911, driven well.

youtu.be/CvDD8V9Liq8

Again over 20 years old, Colin McRae through what I think is Grizedale forest.

youtu.be/1sAbQ5wRr0o

Or a bit of rallying in fog, from 40 seconds in.

youtu.be/5pCbU6IljXA

Edited by mcb100 on 14/02/2023 at 13:42

Some YT Petrolhead fodder! - paul 1963

Thanks for that chaps! b***** lovely stuff...

Some YT Petrolhead fodder! - badbusdriver

It’s quite an old video, but compare the steering wheel angle with the direction the circuit goes. That’s a well balanced 911, driven well.

youtu.be/CvDD8V9Liq8

Again over 20 years old, Colin McRae through what I think is Grizedale forest.

youtu.be/1sAbQ5wRr0o

Or a bit of rallying in fog, from 40 seconds in.

youtu.be/5pCbU6IljXA

Fantastic, thanks!

The 911 looks a real handful for the driver, but that bit at around 2:48 where he passes a MK1 Cortina then has to grab a huge handful of opposite lock had me giggling like an i****!.

McRae (junior)?, "If in doubt, flat out" :-)

McRae (senior) in the third clip shows in no uncertain terms where Colin's skill and commitment came from. Tony Pond's Rover SD1 looked way too big for some of those Manx roads, but it didn't seem to faze him in the slightest!

Edited by badbusdriver on 14/02/2023 at 19:57

Have a listen to in-car video from both Colin McRae and Richard Burns. Both former world champions, and both competing at the top at the same time.
Their pace notes are quite different, however. McRae basically wanted to just know where the road went, and he had the improvisational driving style to deal with the details of the corner as it happened.
Burns, on the other hand, whilst up there on pace, was much more methodical and has much more content in his notes. Not just the angle of corners but whether it could be cut or less risky to stay wider. Robert Reid (his co-driver) earned his money with a higher word count.
Tony Pond was as good as both of them, and would have competed at the pointy end of the world championship if he hadn’t had a huge loyalty to BL/AR and an aversion to LHD.
And if you fast forward a couple of years from the 1984 Manx to the 1986 Manx (always my favourite round of the British Open championship), you’re at the peak of Group B rallying, at that point the fastest rally cars that had ever competed.
And, as an added bonus, you get a quick shot of a much younger me, marshalling on the rally (at 5:20).

youtu.be/FZcG_4ko0rM