What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo V70 - Windscreen - barney100

I need a new screen, any recommendations for fitters near Basingstoke?

Volvo V70 - Windscreen - sammy1

most insurance policies carry windscreen cover and will direct you to their nominated one. You will not beat any of the nationals for a professional job

Volvo V70 - Windscreen - Lee Power

most insurance policies carry windscreen cover and will direct you to their nominated one. You will not beat any of the nationals for a professional job

I disagree.

The nominated national glass repairer for my insurance company I wouldn't let them touch my vehicle after my previous experience of dealing with them.

There are plenty of smaller independent automotive glass replacement companies that work on reputation by doing decent work & not by relying on tv advertising or insurance company contracts to flood them with endless work.

The screen isn't chipped or cracked but leaks capaciously. I contacted the insurance and they don't cover leaking screens.

Volvo V70 - Windscreen - RT

The screen isn't chipped or cracked but leaks capaciously. I contacted the insurance and they don't cover leaking screens.

Ask a mate to crack it!

Volvo V70 - Windscreen - elekie&a/c doctor
If it’s leaking, it will need to come out for the bonding sealer to be replaced. This could present a problem and may crack the screen in the process.
Volvo V70 - Windscreen - MGspannerman
I have literally just had the screen in my wife’s Yaris resealed. Last Friday in fact. With the exceptionally heavy and prolonged rain a couple of weeks ago the water poured in from the top of the A post and roof join. I contacted a local auto glass company, not one of the big names, having checked with my insurer - it wasn’t covered.

They advised waiting for warmer conditions in the recent freezing weather to reduce the possibility of cracking the screen.That morning was sunny and bright, actually quite pleasant outside by mid morning. They phoned and then turned up at about 11 and it took less than an hour. The screen was out in ten minutes,the two guys doing it really knew their stuff. I was shown where the bonding agent had been poorly applied probably accounting for the leak along the top rail. The screen had been replaced previously, so it looks like it was a bodged job.

One tip they gave me was to shut the door very carefully if opened before the glue dried.apparently customers open the door to take a look then slam it shut. Air pressure can dislodge the screen defeating the whole purpose of resealing it.

Super job, very neat work and the cost was £90, cheaper than the insurance excess.
Volvo V70 - Windscreen - gordonbennet

Another vote for the small indy screen people, try and find who the trade uses in your area if you have any contacts in fleet management/maintenance or car sales.

Volvo V70 - Windscreen - Surreydriver

Not too close to you but try Old School Windscreens , Longcross, Sy. They were able to sort my Audi S2 many years ago ( rare and problematic ). They were very helpful and did a very good install.

Got a firm to fit one this week for £330, some of the 'big' outfits wanted well over £600.

Volvo V70 - Windscreen - elekie&a/c doctor
Does your car have all the safety gubbins fitted to the screen? If it does, then it’s likely it will all need to be calibrated.

Will find out tomorrow!

Volvo V70 - Windscreen - sammy1
Does your car have all the safety gubbins fitted to the screen? If it does, then it’s likely it will all need to be calibrated.

National Windscreen replaced our MINI screen though LV cover for £109 including re-calibrating the adaptive cruise control. Time appointment at their depot and told to come back in 2 hours to allow the bond to set. Excellent service and I think you would pay one hell of a lot extra without cover.

Volvo V70 - Windscreen - Manatee

A few years ago my Outlander was in for service and the screen cracked on the test drive. The dealer surprisingly didn't suggest I claim on my insurance, they got their regular, trusted local firm to do it. I was very pleased with the result. I've had a couple of poor jobs from the big Nationals.

Yesterday the car was in for an MoT. The tester commented that I must have had a news screen, and it wasn't a genuine Mitsubishi one. I asked how he knew - the chassis number couldn't be seen through the viewing window at the bottom of the screen.