What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tyres from Blackcircles - Ex Alfa mail

Good morning, just arranging four new tyres for one of our cars. For years we have used the local branch of a small chain. They have always been very competitive as well as offering a good service. Most times they were a little cheaper than online retailers and, where they weren't, they would price match. Today they weren't able come anywhere near Blackcircles, a c £70 difference, and instead offered to fit them if I bought from them. The question is is this now common practice? Is this simply down to volumes and purchasing power (if so why aren't the likes of Kwik fit etc more competitive)? A quick internet search says Blackcircles is owned by Michelin, so is this their way of getting greater control of the whole supply chain? Sorry, for so many questions but I am surprised at how uncompetitive our local fitters have suddenly become.

Tyres from Blackcircles - corax

I have bought my tyres online for years now, and they are always cheaper. The only problem is when you buy something a bit unusual, then have an unrepairable puncture. It'll be more hassle to get it replaced quickly compared to the more common tyres sold at the fitters, if you want a matching pair.

Tyres from Blackcircles - Steveieb

Totally brilliant company , highly recommended.

Even better if you choose to have the tyres fitted at ATS who are also owned by Michelin.

I order via Boundless or known as CSMA to get another 5% discount.

Amazed to get Bridgestone tyres at such an excellent price.

Tyres from Blackcircles - Engineer Andy

I have bought my tyres online for years now, and they are always cheaper. The only problem is when you buy something a bit unusual, then have an unrepairable puncture. It'll be more hassle to get it replaced quickly compared to the more common tyres sold at the fitters, if you want a matching pair.

To that end, it's always a good idea to check via a few fitters, including online, to see how prevalent they are. A good first start is finding out via a Google search whcih tyre size combos are the most common, as that means you'll stand a far better chance of matching tyres if needed, or at the very least obtaining tyres at the lower end of the price bracket, even for premium brands.

Sometimes, a local fitter may have better access to 'special' tyres that (say) may be suitable for that area, e.g. off road tyres for 4x4s, all-season and winter tyres in a remote (rural) area, because that's what makes up most of their custom, and they also have decent experienece of what works and what doesn't for the price.

An online retailer won't have that level of experience to suit someone's needs if they are out of the ordinary. For more 'standard' tyres for people living in more benign locations, then its fine buying online after a bit of research.

Blackcircles (BC) have, for example, a tiered list of 'approved' fitters. That being said, some are much better than others (best to check review sites/Google about that, and to be wary of fake positive and negative reviews).

I've sourced my last two sets of tyres from BC, the first time getting them fitted via a nearby 'approved' fitter, but what I didn't know was that they had only opened a month before, and it showed. All very flashy, but the quality of the fitting was poor, and even after I took my car back, one of the tyres kept going down and they charged me for that second go.

Ironically that new fitter was part of a chain I'd used for my previous car's replacement tyres and were generally very well regarded. It was telling that they didn't stay part of that chain for long, only a year or so.

I took the car to my main dealer who refitted the errant tyre for free - the problem only returned 5.5 years later when the alloy really started to corrode (so I replaced all 4 as the others were going the same way).

Thus I bought my next set via mail order from BC and took them to be fitted at my main dealership - at a cheaper fitting price than any of the BC approved fitted could. They did a good job on that, and despite a hiccup fitting the new alloys at the same time (not technically, they ordered/fitted the wrong ones, which I was compenssated for nicely). No problems with usage in 4.5 years.

You just have to find somewhere to store them prior to taking them to the dealership (or local fitter if they are kind enough to fit someone else's product). I suspect my dealership wanted to do a good job to keep me happy for me using them for maintenance, especially as my car was 12 years old at the time. I took full advantage of that.

If you but mail order (not just from BC), then as long as you can fully trust whoever fits them and they are happy to do so, then that can often be the best solution.

Tyres from Blackcircles - catsdad

Based on the tyres for my car BC are £15 a tyre more fitted, compared to just the tyres mail order. While I like to save cash, the hassle of having them delivered then shopping separately to save a few quid on fitting is not worth it for me. Also in the event of a problem I don’t want caught between supplier and fitter.

Convenience is good too as ATS have a branch just off our town centre.

Based on the tyres for my car BC are £15 a tyre more fitted, compared to just the tyres mail order. While I like to save cash, the hassle of having them delivered then shopping separately to save a few quid on fitting is not worth it for me. Also in the event of a problem I don’t want caught between supplier and fitter.

Convenience is good too as ATS have a branch just off our town centre.

For me, the difference in the fitting costs wasn't the defining factor - including the delivery, the difference was only £1.50 a tyre.

It was the quality of the fitting service that made me buy them mail order rather than have them delivered (free) to a BC fitter and pay a bit more to have them fitted there. My local main Mazda dealer did a good job previously, and they were just as close as the other BC fitters.

You are correct about there is a (small) risk of a conflict between separate (not tied) tyre supplier and fitter in the event of a problem, though normally a combination of a good quality tyre, checking them all when delivered and using a good fitter normally avoids those sort of problems.

It was a slight concern of mine at the time, though slightly less so as the dealership was also fitting 4 new OEM alloys, so there would be less chance of fitting issues as there was with the old, corred alloys.

As I mentioned before, the tied BC fitter took no responsibility for the problems last time and expected ME to pay to have the errant tyre refitted. Needless to say they got a negative review for their 'trouble', and my dealership got a good review for doing the job properly and FOC. They also got my business next time around.

Tyres from Blackcircles - badbusdriver

Never actually used Blackcircles myself. But for about the last 10 years, I have always bought new tyres for my van off Ebay and had them fitted by local indy. Current indy wasn't overly keen on this the first time I asked about it as he also supplied tyres. But after asking what tyres he could offer me of the size and weight rating I need from a brand I'd heard of, and finding the answer to be none(!), he agreed.

Currently running Uniroyal Rain Expert (very good price), but would generally use all weather tyres which have included Michelin, Goodyear and Nokian.

Tyres from Blackcircles - Adampr

I've used Blackcircles a couple of times. One time I just picked the nearest, cheapest fitter and regretted it. The second time, like Andy said, I found a good quality reasonably local fitter and had it done there with no problems at all. If you know someone good locally, order the tyres yourself and get them to fit them for you.

Tyres from Blackcircles - Lrac

Used them many times. I have always selected a tyre fitting company about 100m away from my place of work. Never had any problems and the owner of the tyre bay said that he could not better the price if I went direct to him. I simply cannot find any justifiable reason to go elsewhere.

Tyres from Blackcircles - Gibbo_Wirral

I always use them or Asda Tyres. Tyre prices are good, rest is all down to the fitter.

Best experience: Kwik Kit (yes, honestly!)

Worst: A Liverpool based indy tyre fitter. Couldn't be bothered to do the tracking I purchased, saying they were "too busy and the ramp is booked for MOT tests". And I'm sure absolutely nothing to do with the fact their tracking was £20 dearer!

Tyres from Blackcircles - sajid

Any one used costco they fit tyres charging 9.70 each tyre for fitting balancing

Nitrogen refill and removal of old tyres

Tyres from Blackcircles - blindspot

cosco simply unbeatable prices if purchased on frequent offers

i don't rate there service . they don.t want you anywhere near while they fit just had snapped tpms valve, most likely caused by tyre fitter, from cosco.

Any one used costco they fit tyres charging 9.70 each tyre for fitting balancing

Nitrogen refill and removal of old tyres

My local Mazda dealer charged £10 for the same, minus the nitrogen inflation, which IMHO is a waste of money for non-F1 cars, given air is made up of 78% of the stuff.

Tyres from Blackcircles - Sparrow

I usually get the runflats for my BMW from Black Circles. Once the local tyre place price matched but the last twice they wouldn't. I did use them for fitting so at least supporting them a bit. They are a local BC fitter and are better than some of the other local BC fitters, which I wouldn't use again.

Tyres from Blackcircles - Leif

Good morning, just arranging four new tyres for one of our cars. For years we have used the local branch of a small chain. They have always been very competitive as well as offering a good service. Most times they were a little cheaper than online retailers and, where they weren't, they would price match. Today they weren't able come anywhere near Blackcircles, a c £70 difference, and instead offered to fit them if I bought from them. The question is is this now common practice? Is this simply down to volumes and purchasing power (if so why aren't the likes of Kwik fit etc more competitive)? A quick internet search says Blackcircles is owned by Michelin, so is this their way of getting greater control of the whole supply chain? Sorry, for so many questions but I am surprised at how uncompetitive our local fitters have suddenly become.

I create a short list of tyres then search for the best deal. This year I got a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons for £70 each fitted, from Tyres on the Drive (Halfords). The local Kwiq Fit has been fine too.

Tyres from Blackcircles - Big John

I create a short list of tyres then search for the best deal. This year I got a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons for £70 each fitted, from Tyres on the Drive (Halfords). The local Kwiq Fit has been fine too.

How are you finding the Vector 4seasons? I'm normally a fan of the Crossclimate but we put a full set on Vector's on Mrs BJ's Panda as Crosslimates weren't available. With the recent dodgy wintry weather they have been great.

Myself I feel that for the British climate the recent excellent range of all season tyres are just the job. I've now had Vector 4 seasons, Crossclimates, Quatrac 5's thus far on recent cars.

How are you finding the Vector 4seasons? I'm normally a fan of the Crossclimate but we put a full set on Vector's on Mrs BJ's Panda as Crosslimates weren't available. With the recent dodgy wintry weather they have been great.

Myself I feel that for the British climate the recent excellent range of all season tyres are just the job. I've now had Vector 4 seasons, Crossclimates, Quatrac 5's thus far on recent cars.

Well, I won't be going back to summer tyres for any replacement sets unless its a summer/winter combo after moving to somewhere that needs them and where I've got storage for the other set. Being in East Anglia, my CC+s have been excellent, summer, winter, rain or shine, and including today (finally) on (a maximum* of) 3in of snow from last night.

The small performance loss in warm conditions is more than offset by that in the better cold weather, well worth paying the extra for, at least to me.

* on untreated local roads.

Tyres from Blackcircles - mcb100
I’m just back from a local fitter, having had two Blackcircles supplied tyres fitted.
Just checked the date stamp on one and it says 4220, meaning manufacture in mid-October 2020. The other doesn’t have a visible stamp, unless it’s on the inner sidewall where I can’t see it.
If they’ve been stored correctly, it shouldn’t be a problem but I have contacted them to ask for a response.
Tyres from Blackcircles - Brit_in_Germany

The standard response would be that tyres can be sold as new, fresh from the factory, up to three years after the manufacture date.

I’m just back from a local fitter, having had two Blackcircles supplied tyres fitted. Just checked the date stamp on one and it says 4220, meaning manufacture in mid-October 2020. The other doesn’t have a visible stamp, unless it’s on the inner sidewall where I can’t see it. If they’ve been stored correctly, it shouldn’t be a problem but I have contacted them to ask for a response.

If I recall, most motoring journos strongly recommend tyres should not be more than 6 months old when fitte, just in case they've been stored incorrectly. The problem is you cannot be guaranteed they haven't, even from a major supplier / fitter.

I'm surprised the BC did this. Did you source the tyres and took them to the fitter, were they a 'tied' fitter to BC or just one that BC uses amongst others and by themselves?

I ask, as the fitter could've had an odd old tyre of the same size/make and model in their storage area (but sourced from another company than BC) and deliberately swapped the newer BC tyre for that one, hoping you'd not notice. May be unlikely, but you never know.

It might also be worth seeing if BC have any blurb on their website Ts & Cs to state what the maximum age of tyres fitted is allowed to be. Then at least any dispute would be between BC and the fitter, if they were delivered to the fitter rather than you.

Tyres from Blackcircles - alan1302
I’m just back from a local fitter, having had two Blackcircles supplied tyres fitted. Just checked the date stamp on one and it says 4220, meaning manufacture in mid-October 2020. The other doesn’t have a visible stamp, unless it’s on the inner sidewall where I can’t see it. If they’ve been stored correctly, it shouldn’t be a problem but I have contacted them to ask for a response.

If I recall, most motoring journos strongly recommend tyres should not be more than 6 months old when fitte, just in case they've been stored incorrectly.

So we should not follow that idea as they are all paid off by the manufactuerers to tow the part line?

If I recall, most motoring journos strongly recommend tyres should not be more than 6 months old when fitte, just in case they've been stored incorrectly.

So we should not follow that idea as they are all paid off by the manufactuerers to tow the part line?

OK - most reputable independent motoring journos, e.g. HJ, John Cadogan, etc. Besides, that doesn't mean everything coming out of the mouths of others is all rubbish. You just have to sort the proverbial wheat from the chaff.

Tyres from Blackcircles - mcb100
The chances that the Blackcircles approved fitter, to whom the tyres were delivered direct, would have a pair of 175/65-14 82T Hankook all season tyres knocking about and a couple of years old is indeed remote.
Here’s a link from their website - www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyres/age-of-a-tyre

Edited by mcb100 on 19/12/2022 at 13:45

Tyres from Blackcircles - Brit_in_Germany

That information from Blackcircles is somewhat disingenuous. The BRV distinguishes between 'factory fresh new' (max 3 years) and just 'new' (5 years).

That information from Blackcircles is somewhat disingenuous. The BRV distinguishes between 'factory fresh new' (max 3 years) and just 'new' (5 years).

Indeed, as that 5 years is likely as long as it was stored correctly, both in terms of temperature, humidity, shade (as in not in direct sunlight) and phsyically (apparently stacking on top of eachother is bad, as is fully upright).

Even with that 5 year rule, it only gives another 2-5 after that in ideal conditions. Up until my current set, I've always replace my car tyres at 6 years old, worn down to 3mm or where the grip/noise/handling has been compromised enough to warrant a change. For me, that would possibly mean changing far earlier than normal, costing me a lot more in the long run.

If possible, I'd insist on the tyres being under 6 months old given my normal usage pattern.