What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - JHB3

Hi

The last 4 years i have run my Civic Tourer off Summer and Winter tyres. I have 16s for winder and 17s summer.

After the first year with this car in winter I discovered I would need a winter tyre as it was basically a brick with the summers.

This has worked well, however I am looking to replace the car next summer. The current 4 winters all need replaced and I have 2 summers that also need replaced, 2 were replaced March this year.

Question is Do I for one more winter and a summer season do I replace 6 tyres or go for 4 all season tyres like the Cross climate 2 saving a few hundred pound.

How do the all season (particular cross climate) handy in the summer? Reading various reviews they seems to be as good as a all winter tyre, and certainly better than just a summer

. How are they in the summer though as all winter are obviously poor in summer?

Any advice or review appreciated

Thanks

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - badbusdriver

I'd do away with the 17" wheels and use the 16" on all seasons.

I am a self employed window cleaner in Aberdeenshire and for years now my van has been used with all season tyres all year round.

Unless you drive like Clarkson I very much doubt you'd notice any difference between them (summer vs all season) in summer, but the all seasons have a rubber compound which works properly in winter too.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/10/2022 at 14:53

Hey

Thanks for reply, I do agree about going 16s but the car came with 17s, I bought refurbed civic alloys which just do not look as good or right on the car.

I would be looking to sell the car with the 17s also, so another reason.

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - Engineer Andy

As you're likely to get rid of the car within a year, then it would probably be best to have some middling or winter-biased all-season tyres fitted on the 17in rims. That is, unless you know from experience that they could get damaged during the winter season.

Like most tyres, the CC2 (latest version) all-season tyre will be more expensive when buying the 17in versions than 16in ones. I'm presuming your 16in wheels are steels rather than alloys, and that the 17in ones are the OEM alloys.

The latest CC2 tyre has apparently been designed (backed up in unbiased test reviews - see the Tyre Reviews website) to work very well in snoy conditions with a very small penalty in warmer weather.

The previous generation CC+ tyre (which my Mazda3 has fitted [I live in E. Anglia - not renowned for snow in winter]) is a summer-biased tyre with some winter performance, but not as good as the middling or winter-biased all-season tyres.

I'd suggest you take your local conditions into account as well as the relative cost - the Michelins should last longer than most rivals, but are amongst the most expensive. You could save more by using another (decent) make/model of A/S tyre but which wills till do a good job, more than enough to get you through until you sell or PX the car.

You'd be surprised at how far all season tyres have come - most in the past (7+ years ago) were decent in the winter but poor in summer, but they've improved considerably in that regard.

Again, the Tyre Reviews website has a lot of useful tests and data to help you, and its onwer (Jon) is very helpful if you ask him questions via the (Disqus) comments section below the articles or videos (which are also on his YouTube channel).

Best of luck.

Hey

Thanks for reply, I do agree about going 16s but the car came with 17s, I bought refurbed civic alloys which just do not look as good or right on the car.

I would be looking to sell the car with the 17s also, so another reason.

I've seen plenty of Civic's on 16" wheels and thought they looked fine. But my personal preference is that I'm very happy to place comfort in front of image where others aren't!. 16" will be cheaper to buy, give a better ride, lower noise levels and better economy.

The main point though is that regardless of which wheels you use, all season tyres are going to be fine in summer and in the majority of winter conditions you are likely to encounter.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/10/2022 at 16:19

Yeah the models below have 16s they look ok, but the originals are 17s and thats what I would sell the car with so best stick with those.

Thanks for feedback though.

Other question I had is how the tyres preform on longer journeys, my milage isnt high at the moment due to not communing far anymore, but we still have a few family trips a year where the car will go a long journey.

Thanks for the reply

The 17s are OEM, the 16s are honda but refurbed alloys.

I am central Scotland, so snow is not often where I am, but cold and wet conditions yes, but when its snows it will lie for a few days. The tourer is awful in any snow. The winters worked a treat.

My main concern is more how they perform in the spring/summer as winter isnt harsh and most of the reviews are around winter performance. I will check out the links etc though.

I did notice a few other all season, for about £90 the CC2 being £119 but £10 off each so £109 when buying 4, so doenst seem to be a massive saving for a different brand.

Thanks

Other question I had is how the tyres preform on longer journeys, my milage isnt high at the moment due to not communing far anymore, but we still have a few family trips a year where the car will go a long journey.

Not sure what you mean?

In the summer, an all season tyre performs pretty much the same as a summer tyre. As I said, I use all season tyres on my van all year round covering approx 10k miles per year.

Thanks sorry was reading all the replies at once, thanks for coming back

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - skidpan

We ran Kleber Quadraxer all seasons on 4 of our cars from about 2009 to 2015. We both had commutes into areas where roads were untreated and at the time we lived at 600 ft above sea level and our untreated and unploughed street could be problematic at best. Found them to be excellent, I got to and from work (in a BMW) when colleagues with 4 x 4's stayed at home. The wear on them seemed less than summer tyres and they were quieter as well.

Kleber is a Michelin brand and if you look at the current Quadraxer its pretty much identical to the Michelin Cross Climate but its quite a bit cheaper. If I needed tyres today they would be at the top of my list. Currently at MyTyres a 205 55 16 (3 cars used that size) Kleber is £70, Michelin is £97. For our Superb (215 55 17) Klebers would be £136, Michelins £169.

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - Terry W

Unless you are genuinely in need of separate winter tyre because your local climate is so dire (think 1000+ feet up, snow, untreated roads etc), I would fit all seasons.

In the very rare event (for most people) that the weather prevents progress (once every 5 years) just stay at home - unless work is super critical (eg: doctor, country vet etc)

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - madf

I have run All seasons (michelin) for four years on our Jazz.

Ok in summer,, no issues.

No good on ice.

Very good in mud, better than summer in snow.

We are 200meters up in Staffordshire Moorlands on edge of Peak District. Can get heavy snow at times though rarer than 1980s (Global warming)

Would I buy again? Yes

Tyre life? 50k miles expected from wear

Kleber is a Michelin brand and if you look at the current Quadraxer its pretty much identical to the Michelin Cross Climate but its quite a bit cheaper. If I needed tyres today they would be at the top of my list. Currently at MyTyres a 205 55 16 (3 cars used that size) Kleber is £70, Michelin is £97. For our Superb (215 55 17) Klebers would be £136, Michelins £169.

I wasn't aware that Kleber is a Michelin brand, so out of curiosity I had a look on Ebay to find out the price difference for all season tyres (my Caddy van uses 195/65 15" and I would choose a weight rating of 91-95).

Cheapest Kleber listed is the Quadraxer 2 at £118.03, cheapest Michelin is the Crossclimate 2 at £86.56.

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - Xileno

Shows how important it is to shop around. Mytyres possibly have the benefit of placing bigger orders as they will sell more?

Shows how important it is to shop around. Mytyres possibly have the benefit of placing bigger orders as they will sell more?

Possibly, though I have compared the prices of buying tyres off Ebay and having them fitted by local indy vs the price supplied and fitted somewhere like Black Circles in the past and found Ebay + indy cheaper.

Of course I have only looked at the Ebay prices (out of curiosity) as i am still (hopefully) at least 12 months away from needing new tyres!. I will look into it a bit more nearer the time, but it just seems a bit odd that the Kleber price was so much higher given what Skidpan found?.

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - skidpan

I wasn't aware that Kleber is a Michelin brand, so out of curiosity I had a look on Ebay to find out the price difference for all season tyres (my Caddy van uses 195/65 15" and I would choose a weight rating of 91-95).

Cheapest Kleber listed is the Quadraxer 2 at £118.03, cheapest Michelin is the Crossclimate 2 at £86.56

Just looked on MyTyres, Kleber and Michelin both in 195 65 15 91H, Kleber £63.69, Michelin £87.79. Michelin about the same price on both, bizarre that Kleber is so much more expensive on E Bay.

Of course I have only looked at the Ebay prices (out of curiosity) as i am still (hopefully) at least 12 months away from needing new tyres!. I will look into it a bit more nearer the time, but it just seems a bit odd that the Kleber price was so much higher given what Skidpan found?

You have to be careful with E Bay for tyres. In the past I saw some absolute bargain trackday rubber but when I enquired I was told they were brand new and unfitted but were stock older than 2 years thus the price reduction. For trackdays this is not really an issue, they are unlikely to do more than a few days before being consigned to the bin and even if the rubber has hardened a bit on a non-competitive trackday its not an issue whereas in a race it would be. On the road the 2 year old tyres would be perfectly safe and if you do 10,000 miles a year they will be in the bin long before the normal 6 year age deadline most organisations recommend. But if you are a low mileage user they could be a false economy should they have usable tread when they are due for replacement.

To be fair to the chap on E Bay he was honest but I suspect many will not be and will simply hope the buyer will not be aware of the date code. Pretty sure MyTyres show if a tyre is older than 2 years but as always you need to check if something seems cheap, there is normally a good reason.

Back in the early 90's I bought a set of 4 tyres for track use, got a good deal plus a £50 a meeting bonus if I won my class. First 3 meetings was 3 class records plus 3 wins, more than happy. 4th meeting the car was undrivable. Rang the UK agent only to find that he had fled the country for various monetary and personal safety reasons, good news was the new agent had taken over any issues he had left behind. Asked for the various codes on the sidewalls, 3 were production for the new season with the current compound, 1 was production for the previous season and was the old compound and the tyre had simply gone off. Instant offer to replace the tyre FOC (just a 120 mile round trip) and all was well, another win and record next time out. By the end of the year I had money in my pocket and 2 championship class wins. I also met my current wife who was one of the championship coordinators.

Could have been worse.

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - John F

I too would stick with all seasons tyres. I only got winter ones for our old Focus a few years ago when the tyres needed changing because I found a set of cheap wheels on ebay with some 'summers' on, making it easier to change them myself. (Now the car is scrapped together with its ebay wheels on I'm left with a decent set of winter shod Mk1 Focus wheels which I will flog on gumtree when I get back home). We are very happy with the all seasons on the Pug 2008 which still had 6mm front and 7mm rear - just swapped - after nearly 16,000 miles.

Honda Civic Tourer - Tyres - All Season or Winter/Summer - sajid

Just having my toyota yaris fettled with 4 michelin crossclimate 2 at

Kwikfit. Had all seasons before would recommend them as when temps

Go low the soft rubber on all season tyres grip better also they quieter and run

Smoothly