What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Royal cars - Bilboman

Among numerous clips of video I have seen over the last few days, I couldn't help but notice the prominent Mercedes haerse [mis-spelled to avoid censor] carrying the Queen's coffin in Scotland, and one or two (what seemed to be) royal Audis amongst the more numerous Rolls Royces and Range Rovers. With funeral proceedings now going ahead in London, I noticed what seems to be a gleaming new Jaguar-based "State haerse", which has an illuminated glass rear area. A practical solution to the events we are all seeing over the next few days, and a far more regal conveyance than the spartan Land Rover which Prince Philip had commissioned some years ago in preparation for his own funeral.
I couldn't help feeling a small burst of pride that it will be a Jaguar carrying out this key role for the next few days, together with the still magnificent 10 year old royal Bentley, as the world watches the unrivalled combination of pageantry and dignity which marks a British state funeral.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_state_car A fascinating rundown of the major "state cars" used on happier occasions around the world reveals some interesting changes, notably BMWs and Audis now taking over from Holdens and Fords in Australia and New Zealand after their local car production came to an end.
Good to see that there are still a few stately Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Jaguars around on the list, though!

Edited by Bilboman on 13/09/2022 at 23:43

Royal cars - paul 1963

Love to know what that Jaguar was based on, noticed it had two large tailpipes along with some seriously wide tyres, agree about the Bentley, simply gorgeous.

Royal cars - elekie&a/c doctor
Think you’ll find it’s a Jaguar XJ .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 14/09/2022 at 08:22

Royal cars - Adampr

The Scottish herse was a local funeral directors. There was a bit of drama because it had their name on it and it had to be hastily removed.

Jaguar.....are Indian?

Royal cars - misar

Good to see that there are still a few stately Rolls Royces, Bentleys and Jaguars around on the list, though!

Would be even better if Rolls Royce, Bentley and Jaguar were still British owned companies.

Royal cars - focussed

"I noticed what seems to be a gleaming new Jaguar-based "State haerse", which has an illuminated glass rear area."

The glass part where the coffin could be viewed was in part designed by Her Majesty herself, some years ago.

The seriously wide tyres etc are there because HM is to be interred in a lead lined coffin in the chapel vault at Windsor, and it's heavy, witness the 8 pall bearers instead of the normal 6.

www.slashgear.com/1006830/the-queen-helped-design-...a***-for-her-final-trip-to-buckingham-palace/

Royal cars - Crickleymal

I thought Jaguar were essentially Fords nowadays.

Royal cars - skidpan

I thought Jaguar were essentially Fords nowadays.

Ford sold JLR to Tata many years ago. At the same time they sold Volvo to the Chinese.

Royal cars - dan86

The Scottish herse was a local funeral directors. There was a bit of drama because it had their name on it and it had to be hastily removed.

Jaguar.....are Indian?

They may be owned by an Indian company but doesn't mean they're not British, they're still in a large part designed and engendered as well as manufacturerd here.

Dacia is Romanian even though owned by Renault a French company.

Royal cars - Andrew-T

<< They may be owned by an Indian company but doesn't mean they're not British, they're still in a large part designed and engendered as well as manufactured here.>>

Isn't predictive text wonderful ? :-)

Royal cars - dan86

Isn't predictive text wonderful ? :-)

Just like when you're annoyed and and get corrected to ducking ;-)

Royal cars - Chris M

The 'erse was a Binz E220. I'd never heard of Binz before, but apparently a German funeral car coachbuilder.

Recorded as silver (looked black to me:)). Also noted that WP 4597 had some MoT advisories including play in a front wheel bearing - surprising considering the low mileage.

Royal cars - badbusdriver

I couldn't help feeling a small burst of pride that it will be a Jaguar carrying out this key role for the next few days

I realise it is not the primary concern, but I'm afraid it provoked an involuntary cringe from me over how ugly it is!.

More central to the purpose of it though is the ability to provide a smooth and comfortable ride for HRH's final journey. And here, those ludicrous wheels and tyres are surely going to completely undo the Jag's cushy ride. I could certainly see some jiggling on the video clip I watched of the haerse being driven from the plane at walking pace.

It was mentioned earlier that it has such wide tyres in order to cope with the weight, but that isn't really the case. Regardless of that though, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for it to have such low profile tyres (looking at them, I'd guess 35-40 profile). Just out of curiosity, I Googled the size of tyres on 'The Beast' (the US presidential limo), 285/70!.

IMO, in terms of handsome refined dignity from a haerse, you'd struggle to beat a Daimler DS420.

Royal cars - Adampr

They should've strapped her to the back of a Morgan.

Royal cars - Xileno

I enjoyed seeing her husband's haerse, the Defender. Something quite refreshing about seeing a break from tradition by those perhaps least expected to do so.

I love those XJs, what a shame they stopped production. An awesome haerse for the Queen, a fine way to make one's final journey.

Royal cars - Steveieb

As long ago as Lady Diana’s Audi 80 convertible Audi have had a close relationship with the Royals.

King Charles drives an A8 along with the PM and several of the minor royals enjoy this marque.

A simply marvellous marketing ploy by Audi with the exposure of their brand on TV and newspapers paying for itself time and time again.

Range Rover come a close second but by no means in such numbers.

Royal cars - Bilboman

King Charles has an Aston Martin DB6 Volante (one of a very short production run), a 21st birthday present from the Queen as I recall. Now converted to run on bioethanol, it made an appearance at William and Kate's wedding.
But just imagine the day when the Prime Minister turns up to a G20 (or whatever) conference in an Aston Martin: wouldn't that be a sight to behold?

Royal cars - bathtub tom
More central to the purpose of it though is the ability to provide a smooth and comfortable ride for HRH's final journey

I don't think she'll care.

Royal cars - Crickleymal
More central to the purpose of it though is the ability to provide a smooth and comfortable ride for HRH's final journey

I don't think she'll care.

LOL

Edited by Crickleymal on 15/09/2022 at 13:17

Royal cars - Steveieb

The number of Audis in the Royal household exceeds any other marque by a long way, possibly down to the preferential deals the Royals continue to enjoy.

Its strange that other brands don’t latch on to this amazing marketing opportunity.

Royal cars - John F

The number of Audis in the Royal household exceeds any other marque by a long way, possibly down to the preferential deals the Royals continue to enjoy.

As an Audi owner for the past thirty years it could also be because they are excellent value for money in terms of quality and longevity. The royals are known for buying the best and making them last.

Royal cars - De Sisti

Apart from the funeral cortege, I would have thought motoring organisations would be urging their members not to drive their vehicles on the day of the funeral as a 'mark of respect'.

Royal cars - Crickleymal

Apart from the funeral cortege, I would have thought motoring organisations would be urging their members not to drive their vehicles on the day of the funeral as a 'mark of respect'.

Why? People still have to get places. I'm going caving to get away from it all.

Royal cars - dan86

Why? People still have to get places. I'm going caving to get away from it all.

Exactly not all of us are interested in any of it but our keeping our opinions on the monarchy quite out if respect for a family that have lost a mother, grandmother aunt etc. It feels like we're being forced on to this period of mourning. Some still have to get to work etc.

On the subject of royal cars though I do like Charles RR limousine got to be what 50 years old but still looks and runs like new. Does anyone know if it is armoured I assume it is but is it up to modern standards

Royal cars - John F

I wonder if Princess Anne still has any of her Reliant Scimitars?

Royal cars - Chris M

I doubt any of their cars are armoured. You can usually see when they open the doors.

Seems to me Range Rovers are the car of choice after RR. DofE drove the Obamas in one. Priceless product placement in their number one market.

Royal cars - Steveieb

Interesting that the PM has opted for the A 8 over the BMW 7 series she was given when in her junior position.

Royal cars - John F

Interesting that the PM has opted for the A 8 over the BMW 7 series she was given when in her junior position.

Indeed. Not as if she needs the leg room!

Royal cars - Metropolis.
Very disappointing. Can you imagine the Japanese Prime Minister, the German Chancellor, the French President, the American President etc, being driven in anything other than a domestic-built car? Imagine if they had used a Jaguar as their official car! No. I know they have stopped building the XJ, but I am very disappointed they didnt think it necessary to pick another British alternative. Yes, British companies are still British despite the foreign parent companies… A LWB Range Rover would have done the job just fine, surely.. what kind of message is this sending to Solihull and Coventry!
Royal cars - _

Surely you mean Solihull and castle Bromwich.

Royal cars - Auristocrat

Surely you mean Solihull and castle Bromwich.

..... also Graz, Austria and Slovakia.

Royal cars - Metropolis.
If your comment is a criticism, although I am not sure- it’s worth noting that other countries car makers build plenty of factories abroad, nothing wrong with it. In fact Land Rover used to do it a lot more in many commonwealth countries. Anyway it was nice to see a full British lineup of RR, Bentley, Jaguar and LR at the funeral apart from what appeared to be a Mercedes Vito..
Royal cars - Metropolis.
Yeah, I am a little out of date.
Royal cars - Auristocrat

Most ministerial cars are provided by the Government Car Service. However, the PM's car is provided by the Metropolitan Police, who chose Audis to replace the previous Jaguars.

Royal cars - Steveieb

Need to take a lesson from Prince Albert of Monaco. Being surrounded by Germany, France and Italy and having guests from all over he has opted for a Lexus.

What a diplomat !