What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - Fenwoman

So I'm a little 5' tall old lady and drive a large Saab estate. The law says I must wear seat belt However, the seat belt goes across my throat. If I come to a sudden stop, this will more than likely kill me by crushing my windpipe or severing an artery. You cannot alter the seatbelt in my car. Apart from finding it very distracting being slightly strangled as I drive, it rubs and makes my throat sore.
I can't move my seat back because my legs are also short.
Can anyone suggest a solution. Would I be able to get an exemption.
One wears a seatbelt to save one's life in an accident, but if the seatbelt threatens my life, surely I shouldn't have to wear it.

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - Theophilus

I would suggest you try a memory foam seat cushion (often sold for office chairs) - this will raise you by 2-3" which should then allow the seat belt to cross over your shoulder at a more comfortable height.

You may need to move your seat forward a little so that you're still able to reach the pedals!

Edited by Theophilus on 31/08/2022 at 17:03

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - elekie&a/c doctor
Is there no adjustment on the top mounting point to enable the belt to move up and down ? Even my 18 year old transit van has this feature.
Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - badbusdriver
Is there no adjustment on the top mounting point to enable the belt to move up and down ? Even my 18 year old transit van has this feature.

Seems very unlikely doesn't it, a safety and comfort orientated car maker like SAAB?. I no longer worked at the Aberdeen dealer when the 9-5 came out, but I'm fairly certain its predecessor the 9000 had adjustable seat belt height.

As for the OP's question, I'm fairly certain there are medical conditions where exemption from wearing a seatbelt is allowed, but I'm equally certain the OP's situation wouldn't qualify. If the seat belt doesn't adjust for height, then surely it is far more sensible choice to change the car for one where you can comfortably wear the seatbelt than to risk injury/death in an accident by not wearing it?.

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - catsdad

My wife had the same issue with our horrible three door Corsa. The belt height was adjustable but not enough. Amazon has lots of gadgets which might help. They are listed under seat belts as adjusters, clips and the like. The one we tried with limited success was a sort of Velcro sleeve that fitted over the belt just below the top mounting. However there are lots of other products.

I would be vary however of anything that might interfere with the inertia properties of the belt. A ten quid gadget off the web will not have had much, if any, safety testing,

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - RT

Check out the Autosafe car seat belt adjuster, designed for children and adults up to 1.6m (5'4") in height www.care4car.com/car-accessories-and-gifts/child-s...l

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - alan1302

So I'm a little 5' tall old lady and drive a large Saab estate. The law says I must wear seat belt However, the seat belt goes across my throat. If I come to a sudden stop, this will more than likely kill me by crushing my windpipe or severing an artery. You cannot alter the seatbelt in my car. Apart from finding it very distracting being slightly strangled as I drive, it rubs and makes my throat sore.
One wears a seatbelt to save one's life in an accident, but if the seatbelt threatens my life, surely I shouldn't have to wear it.

Why did you buy a car you can't drive properly without looking into the issue first?

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - Mike Lyons

Why did you buy a car you can't drive properly without looking into the issue first?

Your question comes over as very aggressive

Maybe she didn't buy the car , but inherited it ?

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - Theophilus

I was a GP for over 30 years (and a Saab driver) and remember when seat-belt legislation was first introduced I was issued with a pad of set-belt exemption certificates. There were a few patients who asked for one, but on discussing the situation with them I found that all of the patients could reasonably make alternative adjustments to their posture / vehicle so that in 30 years my pad of exemption certificates remained unused.

Advice from the DoT to medical practitioners reads:

Before giving an exemption, a medical practitioner should consider the evidence showing that seat belt wearing reduces risk of injury and death in road accidents

a range of devices can be used to overcome difficulties in wearing seat belts, especially for those with disabilities – consider these where practicable.

There are no conditions which justify automatic exemption.

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - Bromptonaut

My OH has this issue, particularly rubbing in both our cars, a Citroen Berlingo and Skoda Fabia. Even though both have adjustment for the seats AND the upper belt mount neither solves the problem completely.

We've found pads that wrap around the belt and present a soft surface help. The first were designed for children, bought in France IIRC, and had a teddy bear head on them.

Later versions were for adults. I think the current version are these:

www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/interior...l?

The only minor irritation is that they prevent the belt retracting fully into the reel as they act as a brake. Easy enough to solve but the loop of loose belt can be a PITA.

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - alan1302

Your question comes over as very aggressive

Maybe she didn't buy the car , but inherited it ?

Then the question would be why did you not sell it and get something more suitable.

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - Bromptonaut

Then the question would be why did you not sell it and get something more suitable.

As already noted (my post re my OH) this can be a problem in lots of cars.

A change, even to a car with adjustable top mounts, might not solve the issue.

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - Andrew-T

,, ... the question would be why did you not sell it and get something more suitable. >>

One answer may be one of unnecessary expenditure. Another might be emotional attachment to the car. I'm sure there are others.

Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - DavidGlos
Carpoint 1423201 Belt Stop Belt Clipper Set of 2 amzn.eu/d/37yeC4q

Could something like this work?
Saab 95 - Seat belt issues - JonestHon

Looking at pictures of 9-5's on eBay seems to show a height adjuster on pre and post 2010 cars. In the middle east many cab drivers use a laundry peg to keep the belt loose, probably not safe tho.

In the middle east many cab drivers use a laundry peg to keep the belt loose, probably not safe tho.

My Aunt and Uncle had something similar which they used, if memory serves it was called "Klunk Klip". A plastic thing which held the seatbelt slightly loose. I never used it when I was sitting in the front of their Maestro(!).