What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - Alex_93

Hi All,

I've been having acceleration issues with my ford fiesta Eco boost. It just doesn't have the power it used to have, and it really struggles to pick up speed on inclines. It's still fine for short local trips but the motorway is a no go. I've had one garage take a look and they thought it was the timing belt but I decided to get a second opinion from a ford garage.

It looks like the turbo needs replacing. I've been quoted £1,400 for it. Does this feel like a reasonable price?

From looking at the second hand prices for my car, it looks like some are going for around £6,500. The lower end is around £3,500 (I'm assuming these are the cars that probs need work doing). Either way It doesn't look like an economical write off, so i'm tempted to get it done. This car has had no issues for me up until now.

I'm going to ask around but any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - _

If it is that much money, get a quote from a Ford main dealer, as then you will have the ford warranty on the repair.

And yes they have a reputation for failing turbos. Oil quality and spec is very important on those.

Hi thanks for the quick response. It wasn't very clear in my post but the £1,400 quote is from a ford main dealer

Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - elekie&a/c doctor
Modern turbos are generally pretty reliable, but a failure is often the result of something else . Usually it’s lack of oil or oil starvation that kills them . Has the turbo been inspected or is the dealer guessing?
Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - badbusdriver

Hmm, getting a sense of deja vu here.

I may have considered it to be a glitch in the matrix but for this familiar looking post from 8 days ago:

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - 1.0 (2014) Timing belt

Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - pd

Hmm, getting a sense of deja vu here.

I may have considered it to be a glitch in the matrix but for this familiar looking post from 8 days ago:

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - 1.0 (2014) Timing belt

To be fair it is a different question being asked. Although do I get some sort of prize for diagnosing the turbo? :)

Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - badbusdriver

Maybe a badge?

;-)

Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - pd

Ford main dealer obviously going to be most expensive.

At the other end of the market you can find refurbished turbos for these for about £250 and then you need to add labour which I can't imagine is that many hours. Really down to you which route you go down.

You should also make sure it is serviced at the same time, you don't want to start off with old oil and a new turbo.

Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - _

Should the oil feed pipes to and from the turbo be changed at the same time on these?

and assume new oil filter and correct ooil

Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - elekie&a/c doctor
I think this post has gone full circle . Delamination of the timing belt causes fibres to block up the oil pick up strainer/ pipe. Reduced oil supply to the turbo often causes them to fail . These engines have a very critical oil passage with an “on demand” oil pump . No one yet seems to have done any investigation as to the problem, only guessing.
Ford Fiesta Eco boost - 1.0 (2014) - turbo replacement - paul 1963
I think this post has gone full circle . Delamination of the timing belt causes fibres to block up the oil pick up strainer/ pipe. Reduced oil supply to the turbo often causes them to fail . These engines have a very critical oil passage with an “on demand” oil pump . No one yet seems to have done any investigation as to the problem, only guessing.

Totally agree Doc, really needs the sump off to take a look at the strainer ( not a easy job btw), As I posted before on the previous post sounds like the belt is degrading blocking the strainer, starving the turbo of oil....Maybe SLO is right, get shot of it while its still running.

Incedently a lot garage's I do business with are not keen on working on them....

thanks Paul, i appreciate the advice. I'm a complete car noob myself so getting this input is very valuable for me. Just weighing up my options, debating whether to get rid of it.

Cheers,

Alex

thank for the response @elekie&a/c doctor, appreciate the advice. As you can tell my knowledge of cars is zero so your insight is much appreciated. Just debating whether to trade it in at the moment. cheers, Alex