What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving Electric Vehicles - jchinuk
This is really just an observation, but I'd be interested in the views of others.

I don't have an EV yet, but having watched many reviews on EVs and sat in a few, I have noticed there seems to be no consistency regarding the motor switching, not sure if that is the right term.

With ICE cars, you basically get either a gearstick controlling either a manual or auto gearbox, I know some US cars in the 60s had pushbutton selectors, but the majority of cars have a gearstick, either on the floor or on the steering column.

With EV cars there seems to be a wide variety of options, rotary knobs, flipper switches, push buttons to choose between 'forward / neutral / reverse'. In one case I noticed you have a flip switch that you push forward for reverse and pull back for forward, which hardly seems intuitive.

While I am sure most people will manage, I can foresee numerous 'incidents' caused by drivers new to EVs pressing the wrong button or pedal.
Driving Electric Vehicles - Ethan Edwards

I see your point but its not an issue in practice. You just put it in drive and that's it until you finish or reverse. I own two EVs one has a multi position switch and the other push buttons.

Driving Electric Vehicles - pd

Forward for reverse mimicks a traditional auto where when manoeuvring people are used to push the selector forward for reverse and back again to go forward.

Basically it goes back to the historic PRND order. Even cars which dumped the traditional selector years ago (e.g. Jaguar Land Rover) have stil used the traditional order.

Driving Electric Vehicles - elekie&a/c doctor
I drive many different cars and find the layout of most of the controls non intuitive. I sit there for a few minutes trying to figure out how to start the thing , let alone select a gear . What was wrong with key start and a gear lever?
Driving Electric Vehicles - ExA35Owner

Long, long ago when tractord were used to consolidate silage clamps, the driver would need to shuttle backwards and forwards quite delicately. The positioning of the reverse with a manual gear lever varied (forwards and to the left, forwards and to the right, backwards and left....) and drivers might well swap tractors during the working day. Recipe for disaster as a driver sleects the 'wrong' reverse and the tractor falls over the edge of the clamp. With rollover cage or cab protection that's usually survivable, but without......

There has to be an argument for some sort of standardisation - it's worked for indicator switches in the European marker, and for the PRND settings.

Driving Electric Vehicles - Andrew-T

Might there have been any evolution from the aero joystick conventions ?

Driving Electric Vehicles - mcb100
Easy way to remember the drive/reverse thing - as you accelerate forwards, you get pushed back into the seat, so the selector moves backwards. As you reverse, the occupants are (gently) pulled forwards. Same with the selector.
Watch any car with a sequential gearbox and it’s always pull to change up, push away to change down.
It’s not just EV’s that offer buttons - I’m driving a new model Honda Civic at the moment. Full hybrid only in the UK. Drive is a push button, whilst reverse is a small sliding control.
As stated above, once you’ve done it a couple of times muscle memory takes over.

Edited by mcb100 on 20/08/2022 at 12:51

Driving Electric Vehicles - elekie&a/c doctor
Votes for bringing back the Daf system. Forward to go forwards , and back to go backwards.
Driving Electric Vehicles - paul 1963

Having spent a month driving a electric citroen berlingo you really have nothing to fear, I got used to operating the controls within a few minutes.

My message to the op is go take a test drive in a ev, if I had the means to charge at home I'd have one tomorrow.

Driving Electric Vehicles - movilogo

One thing to keep in mind that EVs don't have gearboxes. This is because motors have constant torque at any RPM, unlike ICE where torque varies with RPM, hence a gearbox is required to multiple torque at low RPM.

Driving EV is not different than operating any motor - like washing machine, fan etc.

You press on and then regulate the RPM only.

Question: how do the reverse gears work in EVs? Do they just rotate the motor in other direction, in which you can have top speed in reverse too!

Or motor always rotates in one direction and an idler gear is used to implement reverse gear with limited speed?

The motor reverses it’s rotation direction. So, theoretically, an EV will reverse as quickly as it goes forward….
I’ve not tried it personally, but I’d suspect there’s a speed limiter in reverse.
Driving Electric Vehicles - galileo
The motor reverses it’s rotation direction. So, theoretically, an EV will reverse as quickly as it goes forward…. I’ve not tried it personally, but I’d suspect there’s a speed limiter in reverse.

There wasn't on Daf's .(I had two - I think in Holland they had races where all the cars drove in reverse, or is that an urban legend?)

youtu.be/eyHleTJyONk
Driving Electric Vehicles - Brit_in_Germany

Our Zoe has a forward/reverse selector where the gear stick would normally be. The Mercedes PHEV has the selector below the windscreen wiper contol on the steering wheel. Since I normally drive the Mercedes, that is the arrangement I am used to so often driving the Zoe, after I have reversed off the drive, the windscreen wipers suddenly start instead of the car moving forwards.

Driving Electric Vehicles - badbusdriver

There wasn't on Daf's .(I had two - I think in Holland they had races where all the cars drove in reverse, or is that an urban legend?)

Reverse racing involving all makes was definitely a thing in The Netherlands, but because they had an unfair advantage in how fast they could go backwards, DAFs were raced separately!.

Driving Electric Vehicles - edlithgow

IIRC Messerchmit and Bond three-wheelers reversed the (2-stroke) engines so had all gears in reverse.

I'd have thought all-makes reverse racing would imply invigilation issues since internal gearbox modifications would be difficult to detect?

Driving Electric Vehicles - Terry W

60 mph reverse may suggest someone has tinkered with the transmission.

Or the rules may explicitly allow transmission tinkering - in which case it becomes a non-issue.

The real challenge I suspect is in driving backwards, steering with the rear wheels, big brakes at the "back" end, no handbrake turns unless operating the "front" wheels, design safety compromised (crumple zones in the wrong place), all done whilst looking in the mirror or over the shoulder.

Driving Electric Vehicles - FP

"IIRC Messerchmit and Bond three-wheelers reversed the (2-stroke) engines so had all gears in reverse."

I can't speak for the Bond, but the Messerschmitt KR200 indeed did so. To engage reverse you had to stop the engine and restart it, and all gears were available.

When I took my driving test in one I had to explain this to the examiner before executing what was a rather long-winded three-point turn. As the turning circle on that vehicle was big I suspect it might actually have been a four-point turn, but I can't remember the detail.