What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord 7th gen - Where to find an elec power source (for accessory) - Turkish_Emperor

I've purchased an aftermarket device to fit to my car and the installation instructions are a bit thin/non-existent.

Apparently, I'm meant to wire the red cable to the battery (at least that's the symbol it shows it gets connected to) ?

This accessory sits inside the driver's door so I'm wondering if it's more a case of splicing this red wire in with an existing cable which already does the same thing?

How/where could I find such a cable?

Or....do I really need to run a wire all the way from this box of tricks to the physical battery in the engine compartment?

Honda Accord 7th gen - Where to find an elec power source (for accessory) - Chris M

Rather depends on when you want the accessory to be powered. Live all the time, only when the engine is running or live when key is in the accessory position. Also need to take into account the current drawn and whether it's going to upset the canbus if fitted. If you do run a wire from the battery, make sure you stick an in-line fuse in.

Honda Accord 7th gen - Where to find an elec power source (for accessory) - elekie&a/c doctor
I’m intrigued. What accessories fit inside the drivers door ?
Honda Accord 7th gen - Where to find an elec power source (for accessory) - Turkish_Emperor

Thanks for the response.

The accessory is an Auto-Fold Mirror kit for my electric mirrors.

Currently my mirrors only fold via a button that's inside the car (and I'm always forgetting to to fold the mirrors, only noticing to do so after taking the keys out of the ignition).

So, with this accessory fitted the mirrors will fold open/close via the unlock/lock via the button on the key.

The wiring diagram isn't very good (item is from Malaysia - I'll try and import the image at the end of this message).

I don't know if it'd need to be live all the time, what would you think?

In the meantime, I've asked the manufactures (looking at their basic wiring diagram my guess is it would be live 'all the time').

[img]i.imgur.com/cMUncYZ.jpg[/img]

Edited by Turkish_Emperor on 17/08/2022 at 12:48

Honda Accord 7th gen - Where to find an elec power source (for accessory) - elekie&a/c doctor
You are going to need a permanent voltage supply wire into the door to supply this module. Don’t think there is one on this car. Running a wire through the door shut from the pillar to the door is an absolute nightmare on these .
You are going to need a permanent voltage supply wire into the door to supply this module. Don’t think there is one on this car. Running a wire through the door shut from the pillar to the door is an absolute nightmare on these .

With my next-to-zero knowledge of car electrics I can imagine it would because the button on the key just sends a signal to unlock, and those mirrors will only fold when the key is in the ignition and in key position II, in other words, when there is power. When you're outside the car, how else would those mirror motors get their power?

Are you saying there isn't a permanent power supply in the door or in the interior (please excuse my limited knowledge here, I'm also struggling to think straight, I'm overdosed on researching this stuff.....).

According to the manufacturers, it only needs power to activate the device. He has assured me that it'll work once I've followed that advice. He said to connect it to the "Central Locking Power". Any idea what component that'd be inside the door?

This is not a straight forward job . If you’re unfamiliar with car electrics , leave it alone . Get a professional to do the job .

Remove door panel (see YT),

Plug in 3 connectors (see YT),

Splice in 3 wires (two go to door lock actuator, which only has two wires anyway), third wire apparently goes to "Central Lock Power".

Replace door panel (see YT).

I was estimated £180 - £270 to do that little lot. Think I'll give it a go first...

Edited by Turkish_Emperor on 17/08/2022 at 13:46

I think that’s a fair estimate. If you think you do it yourself, crack on and good luck.
I think that’s a fair estimate. If you think you do it yourself, crack on and good luck.

It certainly wasn't a fair estimate.

I got a professional auto electrician and he charged me £90 including the actual part.

Plus the power is inside the door.

Note to others reading - don't believe everything you read on these forums, this is the 2nd time I've been given really bad advice on here.

Honda Accord 7th gen - Where to find an elec power source (for accessory) - Bolt

I got a professional auto electrician and he charged me £90 including the actual part.

you was lucky, most sparks I used to know charged more than that just to look at a job

as for bad advice, it is given freely and if wrong (unusual) you could always buy a manual...

you was lucky, most sparks I used to know charged more than that just to look at a job

as for bad advice, it is given freely and if wrong (unusual) you could always buy a manual...

Ahh, so it's free means it's worthless...... that's not how decent forums work.

Honda Accord 7th gen - Where to find an elec power source (for accessory) - Xileno

He didn't say that. People give their advice freely to assist others. If the advice is not to your liking, then other options exist.

I was under the impression the op was going “to have a go himself “ . What happened to that idea ?
Honda Accord 7th gen - Where to find an elec power source (for accessory) - Halmerend
My son’s Civic’s mirrors fold by locking the door then pressing the same button and holding it?